opinions of hf1 vs 225
Mar 8, 2006 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ismelllikepoop

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I posted a ic on my hf-1's before, but never really ended up following up on offers since I keep reading about how nice they sound and am having a hard time parting with them. I have yet to open them up, and was wondering after all of the hype seemingly has died down, how much better they are than the 225's, which i have and like a lot. would you take the extra money, or just use it and be done with it?

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 12
I had the chance to listen to the HF-1s at the SJ meet, and they're really good, but I don't think they're worth market price at all... Much rather get CD3000s

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 12
I just got my HF-1 yesterday after owning the SR-225's for a few weeks.

I think they're different. Sonically, I was surprised at how different the HF-1 sounds. It's a lot more accessible than the SR-225. I'm just forming my opinions but I can see why most people would prefer the HF-1. In many ways I do find it to be better. But I'm not convinced that the HF-1 are absolutely superior to the SR-225. They might be better overall and at many things, but there are things the SR-225 do better. SR-225 is less coloured than the HF-1, also it has a clarity and aggressiveness I like. HF-1 strikes me as a Grado many Sennheiser owners would like. Also the HF-1 isn't as parchingly dry as the 225's.

I dunno. If I had to pick one, of course I'd pick the HF-1. But I don't think at this point the SR-225 is an apple to apples comparison.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by omedon
If you have both the 225's and HF-1's then why don't you just listen to them and decide for yourself?

yes that would make sense, but i have a weird thing about opening them, since they are limited edition and all.

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
yes that would make sense, but i have a weird thing about opening them, since they are limited edition and all.

Then you'll never have a definitive answer.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 12
HF1 = warmer / thicker sounding. More bass impact, a little more soundstage depth. The HF1 is a very "heavy" and massive sounding Grado... it has a sense of syrupy- mass / weight to its sound. Almost sluggish compared to the brighter sounding SR125 and 225.

OPEN EM' UP!!! for petes sakes!! John didn't make these for us to look at through the cardboard box.

Garrett

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 12
I didnt buy them just because they are limited edition, but with medschool apps and the fees (each school costs like $150 total for just the application not to mention hotel and transportation costs for interviews) I don't exactly have the most money in the world right now. I guess if I eventually get accepted (pray to god) then I would have no problems keeping them and cracking them open, but as it stands now, the prospects dont look so hot. Hell if i got in, my mom probably would buy me whatever headphones i wanted, but I feel a little guilty spending money on nice stuff when i messed up in undergrad putting myself in this hard situation to begin with.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #11 of 12
They were made to be heard, not kept shut up in a box!! I can't believe you bought them and never even got around to opening them, let alone give them a listen
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back