Opinions needed for SR225i AMP/DAC
Oct 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Uri Cohen

Formerly known as HyperDuel
OK so I'm going to be buying a SR225i soon and of course I'll be looking for an amp/DAC in the future.

Price range is up to $250 or a little higher.

I was looking at the EF2s and while it's nice it's a combo unit I'm afraid that the DAC and the AMP is not good enough. If I get a DAC and the AMP separate then I can upgrade each one when I get better headphones in the future.

I was thinking of the Fubar II for my DAC and I guess the Little Dot I+, but what are good DAC and AMPs for the SR225i?

And where can I order the Little Dot, ebay?

Thanks.

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 10
Yes the little dot amp is listed on ebay. For some reason,unless I'm mistaken, the listing of it by the official distributor, is not up. It will be back soon I'm sure.

Have you looked at a gamma1? I'm not sure how it stacks up against the fubar II, but it's good for the price point fwir. Maybe someone can give a comparison?

Oct 6, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nike T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the little dot amp is listed on ebay. For some reason,unless I'm mistaken, the listing of it by the official distributor, is not up. It will be back soon I'm sure.

Have you looked at a gamma1? I'm not sure how it stacks up against the fubar II, but it's good for the price point fwir. Maybe someone can give a comparison?

Never herd of it actually.

Well I know that Grado doesn't need too much to get them running in full volume but about 25% of my music library could use an amp since they were recorded too low for my taste.

I might try a DAC first, but like I said once again I herd the Fubar II are good for the price.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 10
When you say recorded too low, do you mean they're too quiet? If so, you could apply replaygain to them. It's to equalize the volume of your music. Amp's aren't necessarily only to pump up the volume, they just give the cans enough power to sound the best, if I have it right.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nike T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say recorded too low, do you mean they're too quiet? If so, you could apply replaygain to them. It's to equalize the volume of your music. Amp's aren't necessarily only to pump up the volume, they just give the cans enough power to sound the best, if I have it right.

Well IMO there's not loud enough for my taste.

I just realize that I can use the equalizer via Winamp and that did the trick.
tongue_smile.gif

But too me it sounds like the music is too disoriented.

Or it could be the $10 earbuds.
tongue_smile.gif

Once I get the SR225i then I can decide if I really need an amp or not. If it's just for 25% of my library then a cheap one should be enough.

Unless there's reasons not to.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 10
Remember with the Fubar II that it really benefits from the external power supply from Firestone, which does add to the price.

There's not much better in that price range than a y1/ mini^3...you can get a y1 lite (usb only) and mini^3 built by a pro for $190+ship...I believe I was quoted $275 for a y1 full and mini^3 combination.

That said, Lee at Cryoparts has a demo Topaz listed in his forum for $275 and you can't shake a stick at that price for what you get in the internals of a Topaz. It's a GREAT DAC and it can be used as a DAC for an external amp if you decide to upgrade the amp portion later.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember with the Fubar II that it really benefits from the external power supply from Firestone, which does add to the price.

Well I was planning to buy it from Audiophileproducts since I believe they are the offiical distributor of Firestone products. They all come with a power supply so I should be set. I wasn't planning to use the USB to power up the device AND get the music from the laptop!

Quote:

There's not much better in that price range than a y1/ mini^3...you can get a y1 lite (usb only) and mini^3 built by a pro for $190+ship...I believe I was quoted $275 for a y1 full and mini^3 combination.

That said, Lee at Cryoparts has a demo Topaz listed in his forum for $275 and you can't shake a stick at that price for what you get in the internals of a Topaz. It's a GREAT DAC and it can be used as a DAC for an external amp if you decide to upgrade the amp portion later.

That might be out of my price range for now.
frown.gif

I was looking more at the Little Dot 1+ and I might get that for my amp. How hard is to change the tubes? Just slightly pull them out or something like that?

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 10
I know they come with A power supply, I am talking about the extra part called "the supplier" which is the upgraded power supply and does make a difference with that device. It definitely does not reach its full potential without it.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know they come with A power supply, I am talking about the extra part called "the supplier" which is the upgraded power supply and does make a difference with that device. It definitely does not reach its full potential without it.

What do you mean, do you have a link?

Kind-of confused.

Edit: Eh found it, nevermind on the Fubar II if I need to buy more stuff to get it running perfectly.

Any good DACs for the SR225i?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back