opening up the shures e2g
Dec 30, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 21
I recabled my E2c, (same thing basically as e2g) and I just used an exacto knife to pry open the housing. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 21
Here are the pics:
January_2_2008002.jpg

After prying it open with an exacto knife it should look like this:
January_2_2008007.jpg

Jan 2, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 21
I've seen cables go wrong on just about every E2 around me (mine, my dad's, and a couple friends' E2s). For the fortunate, you can claim the warranty on it and they'll send you a new one. All these E2s were bought at Best Buy, so some of them were exchanged for SE110s. My other friend works at Best Buy, so, with his awesome staff discount, he exchanged his E2 for an SE210 with $20 on top.

VolkswagenFox:

How did you reattach the E2s after? Since you've already gone this far, it seems here that you can go further than the Kramer-mod and shave the back end to open up the sound a bit more. It probably wouldn't be as comfortable on your ear, but it'd be interesting nonetheless. Did you keep the old strain relief?

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer061zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. In fact, for those who find the E2s flat, dull or boring should try to recable them with silver wires.

They simply change my opinion of them after I recabled them with some silver wires.

Hi zero061zer0-

Can you tell us a bit more about your recable job. I'm trying to start mine up, and I have some simple q's:

1) What type of silver wire did you use? silver coated copper, 28 AWG, teflon insulator, clear?

2) Did you make twisted pair for each earpiece, then turn it into a Y-connection (4 -> 3) with a heaver gauge wire?

3) Did you use heat-shrink etc., and if so, was there a preferred heat-shrink for clear wire etc.?

Thanks for your thoughts/help. This type of info is the only thing holding me back from my recable job. Will post complete details of the job if/when I get things completed.

Cheers!
-Allen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back