opening metal grados
May 30, 2005 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hugz

1000+ Head-Fier
i'm having wayyy too much difficulty opening my MS-2s up, so i'm wondering if maybe i'm doing something wrong..

I'm using the blowdry method, and also attempting to spoon method. i dont particuarly want to put my headphones into boiling water or chip away at them with screwdrivers.

The guide says to blowdry for 1-2 minutes, but i do it only for around 30 seconds before the metal casing gets really quite hot. the guide was written for plastic grados after all. Am i simply wussing out to early and i should go the whole 2 mins? or does the fact that they're metal grados mean that they dont need as long?

am i supposed to be trying to seperate the metal and the plastic? because that's what i'm doing..

also, is there any chance that plastic expands faster than metal, making this very difficult?

May 31, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 5
bump

for serious no one's even opened up a pair of metal grados? larry? anyone?

May 31, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #3 of 5
Hugz,

I have successfully opened up my SR325's. Yep, you're supposed to seperate the plastic (the ear pad side) from the metal (the grilled side). I did something similar to the spoon method but used a large flat headed screwdriver. I put the screwdriver side flat between the metal housing and the lip on the plastic and gently but firmly twisted until I heard a cracking sound; the glue seperating. Continued along the whole of the outside until the two parts were no longer stuck. A little wiggling and the two departed company. This left a few marks where the screwdriver dug into the plastic lip but I'm fine with that, it's covered by the ear pads.

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 5
thanks

did you heat it up with a hairdryer or anything? if so, for how long?

Jun 1, 2005 at 10:56 AM Post #5 of 5
ladies and gentlemen

as if you actually care, i just opened my MS-2.

stuffing around trying different things i accidentally made a small but painful scratch to one of the cups. it's hidden behind the pads and headband though, so i'll hopefully eventually recover.

however..

to open it, i used:
1 good hairdrier
1 long spoon

the following points are important. the hairdrier must be good enough. i tried for a long time at a friend's place with his underpowered hairdrier but it just didn't work no matter how long i held it on. it simply wasn't capable

i held it on at about... 3-4cm awzay for 1 minute or a little bit longer. because it's metal, it will get hotter than the plastic grados. by the end of the minute it was almost too hot to touch even. the drivers still work perfectly so dont worry about melting them that easily. just dont point the air anywhere but the sides.

the spoon i used was very long and quite thick (not wide). this is important because if the spoon is too thin or short, it will slip out easy and may scratch the cup. pull it through slowly and hold it in tight. dont rush it, the metal holds heat pretty well, and you can always heat it up again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back