Opening a $135m F-22A Raptor's Cockpit with a Chainsaw!
May 3, 2006 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
The door is ajar....

The door is ajar...

The door is ajar...

getAsset.aspx

http://tinyurl.com/lg4ej

LOL. Hahaha. Oh wait. My tax dollars went into that cockpit.
frown.gif

-Ed

May 3, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 38
Eh, don't worry. The canopy (1 inch thick polycarbonate) of that thing is replacable. The fighter is actually 250 million a pop counting research and development. I'm hoping to fly one someday (got into USAFA 2010).

May 3, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 38
Nah, last estimate I saw $350 mil a pop to amortize R&D costs. And unless we go to war with China, I can easily see that number reaching half a billion a plane.

May 3, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 38
they cant just replace the canopy. they have to check over the cockpit aswell because of the debris that got in there when they cut it, nasty plastic and oil.

May 3, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 38
A Raptor was at the Sun 'N Fun Fly-In a few weeks ago at Lakeland, FL. It was flying around for 3 days and quite impressive. I missed so may shots trying to get a decent picture on a fly by.
frown.gif

May 3, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
Thats a sweet plane
biggrin.gif

Whose idea was it to charge $180,000 for a canopy?!
confused.gif

You got to remember, this is a single piece of 1 inch thick polycarbonate formed to shape, capable of resisting a bird at 550 knots. It ain't the cheap Lexan stuff you find at Home Depot.

May 3, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 38
This question has bugged me for a while:

How many people actaully get to fly cutting edge tech fighter jets like that. At so expensive I just couldn't see it that every joe who goes to air force flight school gets to take hops. Or maybe they do? Its the governemnt afterall.

May 3, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
This question has bugged me for a while:

How many people actaully get to fly cutting edge tech fighter jets like that. At so expensive I just couldn't see it that every joe who goes to air force flight school gets to take hops. Or maybe they do? Its the governemnt afterall.

try making your post intelligible...

May 3, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
try making your post intelligible...

Um, it is?

What he wants to know is what level you have to reach in flight school to fly one of these, or how many people, out of everyone that attends air force flight school, get to actually fly this plane. I'd imagine only the top graduates every get the chance, but I really don't know.

May 3, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #15 of 38
Well, considering there is only one operational squadron of Raptors IIRC, then that is under 20 people who get to fly them operationally in the whole USAF at the moment. They probably recruited the pilots with the best combat and flight records from operational units and combined the best pilots with the best aircraft. Why would you ever want to compromise any part of the system with less than superb components? It's like using an Orpheus with Rat Shack IC's and a Walkman.

Aditya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back