Open vs. closed in the workplace
Feb 24, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 29
Closed. If you're even thinking about being worried, just go closed and be done with it.

Half closed will do in borderline circumstances -- e.g. the Sony MDR-7506/-V6's -- as long as you're listening at low-to-moderate levels. ("Peter" levels, as Dave would say.)

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
Closed. If you're even thinking about being worried, just go closed and be done with it.

Half closed will do in borderline circumstances -- e.g. the Sony MDR-7506/-V6's -- as long as you're listening at low-to-moderate levels. ("Peter" levels, as Dave would say.)

How are the V6's half closed? I always viewed them as being fully closed. I don't get much leakage at all with mine...

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 29
There's less isolation than, for example, my DT770's -- I can hold a conversation in my Sony's without taking them off (I do have to shut the music off, though); in the DT770's, I can't.

Feb 24, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #19 of 29
I've had my DT770s on for almost all of the past 3 hours at work.

I can't hear jack from the world around me. Good thing my desk phone has a big red light on it that goes off when it rings.

I've been super-productive, too, without hearing the vent above my head or any other office BS that normally surrounds me.

Feb 25, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #20 of 29
Some of you are quite fortunate ... I, too, work in "Cubicle World," and in a position where I'm supposed to field walk-ins' questions and phone calls with no advance notice ... so headphones would be a major issue with my supervisor. But then she leaves everyday by 4:00 ... which reminds me, it's 4:06, so time to get out my flash player and canal phones (both chosen for discretion and portability at the office ... I wouldn't try to get away with using isolating IEMs, headphones or my hard-drive players at work, sad to say). At least the canal phones don't leak sound ...

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #21 of 29
I don't work in an office, but our front room has three computers going, one on my desk, and I'm responsible for hearing my grandma call from the next room. I actually hear her just as well with (the least isolating tips on my) e3s as with my earbuds because I'm listening at a low volume which isn't influenced by all the fans' white noise. I'd imagine that in an office -- with computers, those awful humming lights, people on phones and all -- what you feel is a very, very low volume is actually pretty loud.

I suppose this is a vote for "probably closed, but not totally isolating," because it's easier to hear and easier to concentrate with a lower volume. Also, even if your coworkers don't mind the odd trebly noises from your grados, you're still giving the perception of listening at high levels, which is probably not a good idea at work. (Unless your bosses know all about grados... but they probably listen to Bose, eh?)

Feb 25, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #22 of 29
The Audio-Technica Axxx series don't leak at all, and don't isolate much at all. I can hear the phone ring with them on while listening to music at a moderate level.

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #23 of 29
I've used my Grado SR-60s at work with no issues. I notice that my HD 555 seem to leak more than the Grados, so I probably won't take them into the office.

I can hear the phone and co-workers just fine with the Grados. And my co-workers have not complained about them. I noticed a big difference this past Friday when I wanted to see how my K 26P did in the office. Blocked out too much ambient noise. Not helpful when folks stop by the cube to ask a question. Nor could I hear the phone.

To me, Grados make a good choice for office use.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #24 of 29
Use closed ones ofcourse! It's very antisocial to use open headphones in a work environment, especially a quiet one.

Feb 25, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #26 of 29
Closed.

I just got the Ultrasone HFi-550's from a fellow Head-Fi member (a great deal) and they seal out the whine of computers in my shop, but dont cancel out high frequency things such as the fire alarm, the phone, or the ring when a customer comes in. Perfect for my needs.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #27 of 29
In a cube environment, I'd recommend closed phones at a moderate listening level so that you can still hear your phone ring and whatnot. I've had to share space with someone who used open phones, and it was very distracting (especially when she was playing stuff like Backstreet Boys! ugh). I think out of consideration for your coworkers, closed is the way to go.

Feb 26, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #28 of 29
Closed, defiantly closed.

Less sound leaks in and less sound leaks out. Sure there are exceptions with this and that open headphone but ultimately I think closed headphones sound better and work better in a noisy environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back