Open vs Close , movies vs games !
Jan 9, 2017 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JorgeBarros

New Head-Fier

hi, I want buy some headphones, but I'm new in this world and in the past weeks I read a ton of reviews and now I have some questions, is the first time a buy a good pair of headphones. I will use them for seeing movies/series on PC and for gaming, the problem is the place I usually play, is a house with always 5/6 friends playing and talking. I read the open headsets will give me a better experience with movies, but I never use one, and I have scare that when I play I will hear a lot of noise..
 Until now I liked a lot of the Sennheiser hd 518, but im open to advises
 The max I want spend is about 100euros

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 9
Open cans let in a lot of noise, so you would really have to crank the volume to drown out noisy friends. If you need isolation then you definitely should go for closed cans.

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 9
Almost all of it. Open cans offer no isolation. Imagine someone took your headphones, cut the back completely off, and gave them back to you. Basically your ears are almost completely open to the world around you. Your music is the only thing that stops the outside noise from coming in, but it also leaks out as well. Definitely not good for use in noisy places.

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 9
Sorry , really noob here. How much is a lot of noise?

Hard to put into words how much "a lot of noise" is,but he is right.If you want little to no sound to go in or out and want total immersion you need a closed back.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Almost all of it. Open cans offer no isolation. Imagine someone took your headphones, cut the back completely off, and gave them back to you. Basically your ears are almost completely open to the world around you. Your music is the only thing that stops the outside noise from coming in, but it also leaks out as well. Definitely not good for use in noisy places.

I play almost only online games , like cs or h1z1 , so i need talk a lot , in that way i can usse this in my favor?

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 9
I play almost only online games , like cs or h1z1 , so i need talk a lot , in that way i can usse this in my favor?

Like talk to people in the environment with you? Like at a LAN party? Or talk online with a mic?

There's no benefit to open cans for "talk online with a mic" but if you need more localized situational awareness, then yeah you could use open headphones to achieve that. Bad idea if you're needing to use them in a noisy environment and just want to run the volume up to mask the sound - you probably won't get great sound and you risk damaging your hearing (if you have the level too high).

Closed cans are probably a better idea here. I'd just dismiss the whole mythos that "open cans are better" and get a nice pair of closed cans. What's your budget and what are you plugging them into? Do you do anything but game? (more specifically, do you care about their performance for music at all, or is positional audio and gaming/movies your only concern)

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 9
Like talk to people in the environment with you? Like at a LAN party? Or talk online with a mic?

There's no benefit to open cans for "talk online with a mic" but if you need more localized situational awareness, then yeah you could use open headphones to achieve that. Bad idea if you're needing to use them in a noisy environment and just want to run the volume up to mask the sound - you probably won't get great sound and you risk damaging your hearing (if you have the level too high).

Closed cans are probably a better idea here. I'd just dismiss the whole mythos that "open cans are better" and get a nice pair of closed cans. What's your budget and what are you plugging them into? Do you do anything but game? (more specifically, do you care about their performance for music at all, or is positional audio and gaming/movies your only concern)

Always LAN party, never usse a micro.
My budget is around 100 euros, for plug on PC ,i want a good performance not for músic but for movies

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 9
Always LAN party, never usse a micro.
My budget is around 100 euros, for plug on PC ,i want a good performance not for músic but for movies

Closed: Brainwavz HM5 and the ATH-A700X.
Open: Senn HD518 and the ATH-AD700X.
Open will have better spatial presentation, as has been mentioned (but I'll say it again) whether for games or movies or music. A couple of thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back