Open phones on an airplane?
Nov 15, 2008 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

waffles

New Head-Fier
I am going home for a week over thanksgiving, and I will have a really hard time without my new stereo for that time. I have Grado SR325i's but I don't want to travel with them. I will be in airports for a while and on a few flights, the longest being 5 hours. The main reason is so I have something to listen to while at home, but I would like them to be useful on the plane.

I need a new pair for anytime I need to take some with me, and want to knock this all out at one time. I am thinking about picking up some SR-60's, as I love my current Grados. Has anyone worn them on a plane? I know they won't isolate anything, but will I still enjoy my music?

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 20
I would look into IEMs or closed cans instead - while SR325s or SR60s are great sounding, they will bother people around you and you will not block out ANY of that annoying noise. So the answer is no - you probably won't enjoy your music unless you turn to volume way up - and you don't want to be doing that.

I would grab some IEMs or HD25-Is for plane rides.

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #3 of 20
Oh, the catch is that I have to have them by next friday, so I really don't trust to order them. Anyone know a chain store or anywhere around seattle that carries Sennheiser?

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 20
Amazon is usually VERY quick with their shipping and I know they have good deals on dt-770's, audio technicas, and denon cans.

It might be a bit slower if you aren't buying straight from amazon though...they also show stuff that other stores are selling.

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 20
HD25-1s are great cans for travel. Very robust, good sound.
DT770s highly overrated in my books.

cheers
Simon

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by waffles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, the catch is that I have to have them by next friday, so I really don't trust to order them. Anyone know a chain store or anywhere around seattle that carries Sennheiser?

If you are in the northeast, there is a seller that usually delivers in about 2 days. 8th Street Music on amazon carries most phones. For everything I've ordered from them (4 items over the last several months.) It has arrived in New Haven within two days of ordering. Can't guarantee it but if you're that worried you can always buy two day shipping if they offer it.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 20
my first cans are sr60's I fly a minimum of 10000 miles per month. I knew about the open design but bought them d/t reviews. Well I'm excited about taking on my first flight, unfortunately the passenger next to me began to complain within 10 minutes....hence my purchase of the denon 1001, closed set that I take on all my flights and have had not a single complaint. I still use my grados at home.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my first cans are sr60's I fly a minimum of 10000 miles per month. I knew about the open design but bought them d/t reviews. Well I'm excited about taking on my first flight, unfortunately the passenger next to me began to complain within 10 minutes....hence my purchase of the denon 1001, closed set that I take on all my flights and have had not a single complaint. I still use my grados at home.

That is exactly what I was worried about. Thanks for all the input. I will be looking around for some Sennheiser's today. I know Magnolias carries the nicer ones.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 20
Look guys..i have had a very serious incident on a plane while wearing Closed headphones..

Basically when a flite is Landing ..the air pressure in the cabin starts increasing slowly.

during this time you are supposed to keep your ears open so your body adjusts to the pressure change.

i was unaware of this and continued listening to music on my Hd205..they were like an air seal preventing the pressure in my head to normalize.

suddenly i had a sharp pain in my head..and my eyes started watering and started swelling....i didnt know at the time why it happened...i drank some water..but nothing happened..the pain was increasing the more plane descended...

later as i removed my headphones..the pain started to ease off... then it struck me that i was preventing the pressure change of the cabin to adjust with my body's pressure and due to which there was a pressure difference created in my head and the sharp pain.

So when in flite..always remove the Closed headphones or IEM's during Landing or Take - off

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So when in flite..always remove the Closed headphones or IEM's during Landing or Take - off

Thanks for the tip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back