open outdoor headphones 100$< | help =)
Nov 10, 2009 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

inf.h5n1

New Head-Fier
Hey, my name is Uri, im new here
smily_headphones1.gif

i had lots of time to read over the forums, so here is the case:

Im looking for new headphones.
my budget is around 100$ or a bit less if i need to buy an amp (the cheapes there is, FIIO E5 or whatever people here will advice)

My sorce is an ipod nano, im listening mostly while being on buses or other noisy aniroment. i dont care for sound licking inside or outside as long as i can hear propelry but i do care for esthetics.

I am listning mostly to metal and rock (Lamb of god, Pantera, Pink floyd, Led zeppelin etc) and a littlebit of jazz (billy chobam and drummers) but im not a basshead. untill now i had an akg k412 which i realy liked, then an akg k414 that wasnt so good for me (i think that its because they are closed) and then again an akg k412 with the 414 pads (and EQ of treble reducer, made it sound realy good). also had a several months with akg k240 but couldnt use them with the ipod since he cant boost them without amp.

I never used a good closed heaphones but the trial with the 414 made me belive i prefer open headphones, and the fact that while listening on buses id like to be able to hear what goung on around makes me prefer the open ones although if there is something realy good i dont mind trying.

I heard about several models:

ATH AD700 - i read awsome reviews about thes model, but also heard that they are a bit too huge (the AKG K240 WAS a bit to big for ourdoors, so i hope this one is smaller) and that they are better for jazz and rock and not for metal and rock. - 85$

BD DT440 - would they be good without an amp? and i heard about some cracks in the bridge or whatever the name of the top part.. also i had the impression that they are in a lower leage then the grados and the ATH. - 85$

GRADO 60\80 -although everywhere its writen that its great for rock they looks to me so fragile and uncomterble, and since i need them for outdoors and long drives (up to 6 houres)
i dnt think they are good for me.

AKG K450 - havnt red anything about those, but they are closed, and i think they are in a lower leage then the others here.

Im open to any other suggestions, thats what i managed to understand from couple of days reading. also, if its not for a very special model, ill prefer to do not use Senn's.

I hope this is all the connected info, ill be greatfull for any advice..
it was really cool to see how many people here are eager to help and how much info there is in these forums, in a week i learnd more then i did in years on other forums =)

thank you very much, and sorry for all those quiestions.

P.S. sorry for all the writing mistakes, english is not my maithers lang.

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 12
bump, ill just arrange it in questions so it will be easier..
1. does the DT440 work without amp from ipod nano?
2. does the grado's are fragil and uncomfortble as they look?
3. can someone tip me about the AKG k450\k420?
4. listening to metal doesnt worht ad700?

thanks

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 12
Well for rock and jazz the alessandro are really nice for the price way better than the SR60 and SR80. But they are open design and leak sound, so not really the best option. For your price range, AKG are nice, but when you go up you need a good source. Where are you buying from? That would help us greatly.

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 12
id like a level above the portapros, im buiyng from abay or amazon or whatever, shipping is not an issue anyway. would DT440 with FiiO E5 work outdoors?

ipod is not a god sorce? all files are original quality and i will use LOD to surpass the inner amp.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

My sorce is an ipod nano, im listening mostly while being on buses or other noisy aniroment. i dont care for sound licking inside or outside as long as i can hear propelry but i do care for esthetics.

Using open headphones in noisy areas is bit dangerous as it is easy to bump up the volume to rather dangerous levels and your ears wont even notice it.

Best option would probaply be noise cancelling headphones. Open, but filters out some ambient noise. Now the problem is what models are good ones, and I have no idea.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 12
so what will boost DT440 outside? and what aboust the ms1\rs80, are they strong inough for outdoors?

well, leave the opened, on the closed field, go on the akg's?
there is any beyerdynamic that will work outside with a cheep amp?

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 12
the 50ohm akg's dont need amp?
and someone about the DT440 with FiiO e5? if this doesnt work well ill go on the AKG K450 i think..

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #11 of 12
bump, really need help on this pne, DT440 with FiiO or any other amp which is >30$, will it do the job?

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #12 of 12
I wouldn't recommend the Fiio all it will do is boost the bass, that's about it. If you want an amp look in to something with a bit more juice, with CMOY, MINI3, T3/T4, Moble Icon, and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back