Open Headphones with Velour Pads under $200?
Aug 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jjcoolaus

Head-Fier
Hi All,
After browsing these forums for years I thought it was about time i made an account and started posting. :)

After spending thousands of my dollars on various pleather-based headphones, I recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770Pro-80's which I use for my daily commute to work. I wear glasses so using velour based earpads for the first time was something of a revolution.

I'm looking for OPEN back velour padded headphones for use on the weekends - something I can walk around the streets with and still hear my surroundings, but they must be velour.

I wouldn't mind a compact, portable model but I think i've given up on the quest to find a model that's comfortable. Currently I use Beats by Dre Solo, supplied with my HTC Sensation XL (not the HD model). The sound is fairly crap but they fold up nicely at least. I also use the PX-100-ii's from Sennheiser. It just depends on what i pickup before leaving the house, but neither of them are perfect. I'm thinking some full size cans with an open back and velour pads are in order.

I just saw the Nady QH560 in a google search and found them on Amazon for $49 including shipping to Australia - I thought this was a bargain so i snapped them up and look forward to trying them out - i'm not expecting much at $49 with velour pads.

I'm open to any other suggestions though. So far google has only revealed the very high end models from beyerdynamic and shure, running between $400-600. I would be looking to spend under $200 US if possible.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 4
You can get K601s for around that price, but they might be a bit difficult to drive.  Sennheiser HD 598s might be more up your alley.  Some patience and you can find them for under $200.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for that. I started watching some youtube videos of them and one thing that pops out right away is that it defaults to the 6.3mm plug, with an adaptor down to 3.5mm - these could be a pain to connect to a mobile, especially if it's in a case.

Another thing I noticed in the 3 youtube videos i've watched so far is that everybody has these connected to headphone amps.

I have an E11 Fiio amp already to drive my DT770P's and it's great, but i'm not sure I would want to use it with open headphones as well, since particularly if i'm out for a long walk, i'm only wearing trackpants with barely room for my phone and house keys. I'd prefer not to have to carry the amp as well.

Having said that, if I went all out and purchased DT880/990 or SRH1840/1440 (which are all way out of my price range) i'd need an amp to drive those anyway.

I will give the HD 598's some thought - it looks like the cable is detachable so i should be able to get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm pretty easily. Or just use the one from my HD212 Pro headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back