open Headphones with large soundstage under $500
May 1, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #16 of 30
I find HD650 veiled/hazy but not HD600. It might depend on what one is used to.

May 1, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #17 of 30
  I find HD650 veiled/hazy but not HD600. It might depend on what one is used to.

I didn't find them to sound very different, and was actually suprised when I actually got to hear them. I realized the difference that was there was often exaggerated.

Either way my recommendation between the two would go to the HD600 as I don't think the price jump of the 650 is justified.  But if you want that extra bit of bottom end and don't mind the price, go for the HD650.

May 1, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #18 of 30
hd700 has quite a large soundstage and great imaging around 500 used.

May 1, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #19 of 30
The soundstage size doesn't impress me on either, but I care less about soundstage size now than I used to when I listened to more orchestral music. Soundstage accuracy is good on both.

HD650 has a larger soundstage, but I very much prefer the tonal balance of HD600 (my favorite in production model). But both will disappoint if one wants a large soundstage.

May 1, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #20 of 30
  The soundstage size doesn't impress me on either, but I care less about soundstage size now than I used to when I listened to more orchestral music. Soundstage accuracy is good on both.

HD650 has a larger soundstage, but I very much prefer the tonal balance of HD600 (my favorite in production model). But both will disappoint if one wants a large soundstage.

I don't know if I'd say it will disappoint, but I have heard them described as have a "3 blob soundstage."  An HD800 they are not.

EDIT:  This is why I mentioned the HD558 andHD598.  While objectively not as good as the HD6x0, they do have good soundstage (some say better than HD6x0, though I didn't get a chance to A/B these).

May 1, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #21 of 30
I'm in the camp that thinks most of the comments about the 600 and especially the 650 being veiled are kinda nonsense.

I found the 600s to be neutral and balanced with just a touch of warmth.  They are full sounding, and I guess could be described as enveloping, but nothing quite like an LCD2.  I found the 650 to have a touch more bass, tilting the sound signature a little more towards warm.  Other than that, they are largely similar, with differences only noticeable while A/Bing them.

I never found any issue with the treble on either.  In fact, the 650 coming out of a Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir combo even sounded bright to me on certain recordings.

However, I wouldn't describe either as bright, but they aren't veiled either. Tyll at Innerfidelity did a pretty good review of both.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650

Thank you for your input, it is really appreciated! I will continue to read up on reviews, but this has really helped me, all of you guys have!

May 1, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 30
  I don't know if I'd say it will disappoint, but I have heard them described as have a "3 blob soundstage."  An HD800 they are not.

I've read that but I never noticed it when listening because it sounds so good. HD800 is the soundstage king, partly because it uses angled drivers, but I enjoy the tone a lot less than HD600.

May 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #24 of 30
Sounds like you are looking for some nice low end to go along with that big soundstage......not many cans do both well.

Personally I think the DT-990's are tough to beat for soundstage AND low end together. The soundstage on the K701's is bigger but they don't have the low end.

Not to mention you can come in WELL under your budget. Pair the 990's with a nice little tube amp and they make for a great combo.

My current setup is uDac2  >  Bravo Audio Ocean  >  DT 990 Premium 250. I also hook them up to my Pioneer Dolby Headphone amp for movies and they sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back