Open headphones that don't need amping
Jul 12, 2011 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jube

Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy another pair of headphones for $100. I currently have Sennheiser HD600's and ATH M50's as far as full sized cans go. I love the sound of the sennheisers but only when they are plugged into the E7/E9 combo. Otherwise the bass is anemic. The M50's are good but I feel their detail is lacking (i can't stand listening ot the M50s after a session with the HD600s) and while the bass is awesome for dubstep/house/trance/hip hop, I don't like them for listening to rock (ska, punk, progressive, lots of Radiohead recently).

So what I am looking for are open headphones (unless there is a closed alternative providing equal sq with balanced bass) that don't need amping. Something I can plug into my iphone and be satisfied with. Preferrably good for rock and those genres b/c my M50's are fine for everything else. I'm hoping to get a sound signature closer to the HD600 than the ATH M50. I know it obviously won't be as good as the HD600, but I would like a neutral spectrum, good detail, and clean tight bass (not bloated or sloppy), pretty much the things I like from the HD600's lol

As of right now the only things that come to mind are Grado sr60i and sr80i, because a lot of people seem to love Grados and the general consensus I reached was that those two models don't require amping. The only concern I have is that their low end bass dips down pretty hard, but I don't know if this is so low in the frequency range that it would be noticeable in most music. Any other ideas?

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 11
well most sub $200 can be played well amplessly. For a open can i really found myself liking the HD55x/59x. 
So 555/558/595 are my choices. 

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 11
+1 on the grado's sr60i's you can mod them to be more flat if you desire, by doing the venting mod you increase the bass, evening out the frequency response. The end result after 4-10 holes vented is a very neutral headphones with emphasis on the mids. The grado's still respond to amping however you will be pleased with them without an amp, and for iphone/portable use (note they leak tons of sound, so if that's a problem look elsewhere)

Edit: In regards to the bass, the grado's roll off quite quick. They perform well for most music, however if you have a low rumble (20Hz - 50Hz) they will not extend like the hd600's do, the hd600's are a better headphone in my opinion.

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 11

Quote:
I'm looking to buy another pair of headphones for $100. I currently have Sennheiser HD600's and ATH M50's as far as full sized cans go. I love the sound of the sennheisers but only when they are plugged into the E7/E9 combo. Otherwise the bass is anemic. The M50's are good but I feel their detail is lacking (i can't stand listening ot the M50s after a session with the HD600s) and while the bass is awesome for dubstep/house/trance/hip hop, I don't like them for listening to rock (ska, punk, progressive, lots of Radiohead recently).

So what I am looking for are open headphones (unless there is a closed alternative providing equal sq with balanced bass) that don't need amping. Something I can plug into my iphone and be satisfied with. Preferrably good for rock and those genres b/c my M50's are fine for everything else. I'm hoping to get a sound signature closer to the HD600 than the ATH M50. I know it obviously won't be as good as the HD600, but I would like a neutral spectrum, good detail, and clean tight bass (not bloated or sloppy), pretty much the things I like from the HD600's lol

As of right now the only things that come to mind are Grado sr60i and sr80i, because a lot of people seem to love Grados and the general consensus I reached was that those two models don't require amping. The only concern I have is that their low end bass dips down pretty hard, but I don't know if this is so low in the frequency range that it would be noticeable in most music. Any other ideas?

Heya,

Grado SR225i's. or alternative link with way more information for you.

32ohm, and 98db sensitivity. No amping required. If you're going to get a Grado, this one will cover your bases a lot better than the lower ones without being exceedingly expensive. It's a Grado that does what Grado does, but has bass impact.

This is what you want for your rock and stuff. Yea, it's more than your budget. But if you're going to throw money down on headphones, get some really worth it. These are.

Very best,

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 11
Get the grado's 225i's. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #11 of 11
The 225 come with bowl pads as standard. If the pads don't suit, change to a comfy pads. Problem solved :)

Quote:
Seems like the Grado 225i's are getting a lot of love. I'll give them a try at my local audio shop and see how I like them. Hopefully I can bear the discomfort

Users who are viewing this thread

Back