Open headphones for listening to experimental/ industrial under $350?
Aug 8, 2020 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Oloracereza

New Head-Fier
Hello good people, I am new to this world and I want to make an informed purchase for my next headphones (I currently have a Sennheiser Momentum). After many sleepless nights looking in forums I still can't decide whether to play it safe with the HD6XX or look for other cans.
I'm looking for some open headphones to listen to Boards of Canada, Andy Stott, Machine Girl, Aphex Twin, Sweet Trip and Oneohtrix Point Never at my house.
I just bought the Schiit Magni 3 and Modi 3 on ebay since I had planned to buy the HD6XX but I read that they are relaxing, slow and intimate and I don't think that this is the best option for my tastes.
I'm looking for extended bass with good soundstage for my first open headphones.
The Fidelio X2, Soundmagic HP 200 or Beyerdynamic DT 990 seem to be good alternatives. On the other hand I would like to try planar, I saw on ebay the HE-560 at $350 but I read that they break easily in contrast to the durable HD 6XX.
What do you recommend?

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #3 of 8
I mean, if you're reasonably careful with them the 560 is a really good headphone. Probably one of the best at that price point.

That said I wouldn't buy from someone on eBay. Hang around here for a bit, read up, ask questions, then wait for a set to go up in FS/FT or put up a WTB thread.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm not a fan of the 560. It feels cheaply constructed with the wood veneer. It also sounds very uneven compared to the 400i. People always assume it's an upgrade and ends up being a downgrade. It's the 400i's uneven and bright sounding brother.

Aug 10, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm not a fan of the 560. It feels cheaply constructed with the wood veneer. It also sounds very uneven compared to the 400i. People always assume it's an upgrade and ends up being a downgrade. It's the 400i's uneven and bright sounding brother.

I've only listened to them a couple times, don't own them, so fair enough.

I do own HE-4XX though, which as I understand are basically rebranded 400i. Also have the Sendy Audio AIVA and much perfer them to the 4XX. More detail than the 400i, not quite as much bass but more controlled. Probably my favorite headphones at the moment. If you can find a pair within budget I strongly recommend them, OP.

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 8
I've only listened to them a couple times, don't own them, so fair enough.

I do own HE-4XX though, which as I understand are basically rebranded 400i. Also have the Sendy Audio AIVA and much perfer them to the 4XX. More detail than the 400i, not quite as much bass but more controlled. Probably my favorite headphones at the moment. If you can find a pair within budget I strongly recommend them, OP.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Between the he400i and the hd6xx, which one do you think makes the most of the schiit stack?

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 8
400i will have better bass. Both pair fine with the Schiit stack. Once you go planar it's going to be difficult to go back. They are a superior driver due to linearity of the frequency response, non-reactiveness to amps, and the bass extension is awesome.

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 8
400i will have better bass. Both pair fine with the Schiit stack. Once you go planar it's going to be difficult to go back. They are a superior driver due to linearity of the frequency response, non-reactiveness to amps, and the bass extension is awesome.

Not sure I agree with this. I'm definitely a planar guy; I have a pair of Martin Logan reQuest in a 10x15 room I would give up for nothing short of true love... Those, plus Koss ESP/950, the HE-4XX, the AIVA... But I also have AKG Q701, Audio Technica ATH-R70X, and Phillips X2HR, and a pair of JBL 305PMkII in the bedroom. They all do certain things better than others. Of the headphones the AIVA are the best all-rounders, and I've more than once considered culling the herd, but for now they all have their place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back