Open headphones $60-80??
Nov 15, 2008 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

aj_brown_99

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I currently own the RE2s, which I love and use all the time when I'm out, but I'm looking for decent, relatively cheap set of cans for use at home and with my computer. Should be open, since I do not want/care about isolation. What I am really looking for is a good mix of sound quality and comfort, since I will most likely be wearing these all the time.

The phones will be used for some gaming, but mostly for music. I listen to a lot of rock and metal, as well as a lot of trance/techno and dance. The price range is not concrete, but it should somewhere around that range. Recommendations??

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_brown_99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya... I wish. A bit out of my price range at MSRP $189, don't you think?

I saw them for 90$ shipped some time ago, but if it's too expensive you can go for HD 515. I think there's no problem.
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

The phones will be used for some gaming, but mostly for music. I listen to a lot of rock and metal, as well as a lot of trance/techno and dance.

I suggest the Denon D1001 which sells for ~$81 shipped at buy.com. You should disregard your preference for open headphones because of the music you listen to; you'll want more bass, and the D1001 doesn't isolate much anyway and will provide the comfort you're wanting. Also, you may want to consider the JVC RX700 ~$36 or RX900 ~65.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 22
for closed get a jvc harx700/900

for open get a audio technica ath-ad500

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 22
I know you're looking for open... but what about semi-open/closed? At this price range, I really can't recommend highly enough the JVC HA-RX900, as long as you take half an hour to mod them correctly.

The level of detail, and the precise nature of the soundstage, is nothing short of astounding for the price... actually, regardless of price!

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 22
vote for Grado SR-60.

for comfort issue, i think it's will not bother you 'cause SR60 use comfy pads who i found very comfort, and i use glasses.

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was gonna suggest SR60, but comfort will be an issue. Hmm. Can you try them on? 'Cos not everyone finds them uncomfie.

No, I probably won't have the option to try them on, so I guess that eliminates those.

- About the HD 555. EDIT: These look decent, but probably not as good as other phones available at the same price.

-About the Denon D1001. I have looked into these and they look very good for their price range.

EDIT: -About the JVC's. These also look like a very good option, but I am wondering if they are not as good as the Denon's, considering their lower price point. Am I wrong there?

My question now is: which is best? I don't care about the difference between open and closed, so I am talking pure sound quality now.

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

No, I probably won't have the option to try them on, so I guess that eliminates those.

- About the HD 555. That's a good deal on Amazon. I don't think I'll do the bill me later thing, but I might have to expand my price range to $100 and get these

-About the Denon D1001. I have looked into these and they look very good for their price range.

My question now is: which is better? I don't care about the difference between open and closed, and I know they are both very comfortable, so I am talking pure sound quality now.

Unless you have monstrously large ears, the Grado's are perfectly comfortable. Get the Grado SR60's hands down over the Sennheiser 555's.

I own both headphones.

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Ya... I wish. A bit out of my price range at MSRP $189, don't you think?

Don't ever go by MSRP for phones. Most are knocked down nearly 50%. Except grado. Anyway, I would say grado sr80 without a doubt.

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I would say grado sr80 without a doubt.

Although the grados supposedly have great SQ, I have decided to stay away from them because there are so many people who have said they are uncomfortable. They may not be for me, but I'd rather not take the chance. While I am looking for good sound quality, these phones must be comfortable to wear for hours on end.

POLE: Which headphones do you think are the best, never mind price and open/closed designs?
- Sennheiser HD555
- Denon AH-D1001
- JVC HA-RX900

Or, are there any other phones worth considering (other than grados)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back