Open headphones $100 or less
Aug 14, 2009 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
My birthday is coming up in october and I was thinking about asking for some open headphones. Now, let me first say this, I don't care for Grado. I think Grados are too bright and cold sounding and I just don't like that. I like my bass to be punchy and extending. I also like a bit of a warm and dark (not too dark) sound (a bit opposite of the Grados but with the brilliant highs). And I'm drawn to Sennheisers like most people to Ferraris for some reason. Therefore, I thought the HD485s would be a good choice for me. The 485s also look like according to this Cnet review, that they can be driven just fine with an iPod or a Fiio E5 (which is all I can afford for an amp, no joke).

So, would anyone second the 485s? Or, are there any other open headphones that sound warm and almost dark with punchy extending bass and that are generally balanced?

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 9
The MS-1 are darker than most grados but still may be too bright. Bass is punchy though. The AD700 is good too but the bass is not what I would call punchy or well extended. They are warm though with slightly laid back mids. HD555 are warm and laid back sounding , but again, bass is not that punchy.

It sounds like the Sennheiser HD238 or Beyerdynamic DTX800 might fit you well. Ive read that the HD485 aren't all that great.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 9
If I can get a few more recommendations for the HD485s I might get those, but I might need an amp is the Fiio E5 + iPod touch(1st gen) okay?

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 9
if you think grados sound cold, akg k240 studios will sound like the frozen tundra.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 9
repeat

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilkoolaidman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I can get a few more recommendations for the HD485s I might get those, but I might need an amp is the Fiio E5 + iPod touch(1st gen) okay?

The E5 warms / rounds the sound off a bit, which you may like. It's a matter of preference and synergy; you really won't know whether you prefer using the E5 with that rig until you try it.

I suggest buying the HD485 without the E5 to see whether you even need it. I have no idea how well the HD485 scales with better amplification, but I would guess a cmoy would liven it up.

Aug 14, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E5 warms / rounds the sound off a bit, which you may like. It's a matter of preference and synergy; you really won't know whether you prefer using the E5 with that rig until you try it.

I suggest buying the HD485 without the E5 to see whether you even need it. I have no idea how well the HD485 scales with better amplification, but I would guess a cmoy would liven it up.

I've looked at Cmoys but I'm too lazy to make one. And if I don't need an amp, I won't use one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back