Open headphone recommandation
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

chojo

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I currently using my Fidelio X2 (orginal, not the HR version). They are worn out and I want to change them.

- I do not have any amp sadly, so I'm searching headphone good without the need of an amp.
- I listen to everything : classical to jazz to rap to rock to metal.
- I game quite a lot.
- I want open back (home headphone)
- I felt uncomfortable with my Fidelio X2 after prolonged hours. I always have my headphone on my head, so comfort is key. I have wear glasses.
- Budget : under or around 300$ USD
- I live in Canada (Quebec)

Any recommandation?
Thank you!

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 10
Hi everyone,
I currently using my Fidelio X2 (orginal, not the HR version). They are worn out and I want to change them.

- I do not have any amp sadly, so I'm searching headphone good without the need of an amp.
- I listen to everything : classical to jazz to rap to rock to metal.
- I game quite a lot.
- I want open back (home headphone)
- I felt uncomfortable with my Fidelio X2 after prolonged hours. I always have my headphone on my head, so comfort is key. I have wear glasses.
- Budget : under or around 300$ USD
- I live in Canada (Quebec)

Any recommandation?
Thank you!
I have some headphone amp...tube or not...I can say the best combination with my Fidelio x2 is mega Hertz solide state (well hot!) Better than Rhinelander (more expensive)

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 10
The SQ leaves a lot to be desired, but HD700 is worth a look at that price range - specifically for gaming & long-term comfort.

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 10
The new Fidelio X3 is probably worth considering.

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 10
I recommend against the HD700 if you want to wear glasses withh them on, fragile original earcups broke from wearing glasses. I had to glue them back on, cheap replacements (under 5 dollars) do not exist. the stock ones cost over 60 dollars, used. no longer any comfort in those guys for me. also the headband is a little yucky for purely comfort focus especially gaming; what I bought them for, tends to slip because it outweights the rest of the cans.

The SQ leaves a lot to be desired, but HD700 is worth a look at that price range - specifically for gaming & long-term comfort.

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 10
Without an amp you may look at closed back headphones as well, as their impedance is usually lower and they’re meant to be more portable.

But there are low impedance 80ohm beyers, such as the 880 and 990 (880 is semi closed, semi open).

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Wait, why haven't the HD600 been recommended yet? I don't think it NEEDS an amp.

I omitted the HD580/600/650/660s because of the clamp. Not something I'd want to use if I still wore glasses - the 5xx/7xx/8xx are all more comfortable IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back