open ear lover seeks closed cans by order of wife.
Aug 28, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #31 of 41
Wow... Headfi becoming a laundromat
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone Proline 750's.

I highly support the 750's.

Next good (and comfortable choice) is the Denon D2000's.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W5000 does not block outside noise very well, it's somewhere on par with open headphones, leak out is not that bad actually.

D2000 provides better isolation, but of course not as refined and might need a recable to tame bass down and accentuate details, they are a bit blurry in stock form.

K271S provides an excellent isolation, very good resolution and tight, punchy bass, sounds like small version of HD650. Zu cable adds extra details and makes bass punchier and better controlled, sounds unbelievably good for the price, with velour pads (use AKG pads only, not Beyer) comfort goes up tremendously, but they are useless without proper amplification.

Somehow Proline 750 didn't work for me at all, terrible comfort wise, recessed midrange, metallic bright highs and uneasy overloaded bass. To my ears that was like a combination of worst qualities imaginable in a single headphone.

Good luck on your quest.
wink.gif

Not trying to pick on Andrew here, but I perceived two things differently.

1. I think the D2000's and D5000's isolate sound identically. Which is to say fair, but not great.

2. I love the PROline 750's...and if you bend the band to fit your head, they get as comfortable as you want...wel maybe not "Denon comfortable", but pretty good nonetheless.

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh well, Ultrasones.
They are perceived controversially to say the least.
It seems to have something to do with the compatibility of your HRTFs with the S-Logic technology.
There are two camps: The Ultrasonistas and the Ultrasone bashers and not much in between.
It's even more recommended than with other brands to audition them before the purchase.

I recently bought the used "signed" HFI-700 DVD from the "for sale" forums here.

Most of my hearphones have been IEM's (see sig), and the only over the ear headphones I had that I like'd were my iGrado's (because I didn't know I could get flats with the SR-80). I decided to pick up some HD-600's and the Ultrasones, and gave my POS Bose to my wife and kids (my new Senn PX100 I just got for the office are better than the Bose OE and IE that cost 3-5x as much).

Anyhoo, these HFI 700 DVD's have BLOWN ME AWAY! I can't possibly see how there can be any ultrasone bashers after listening with these. I really wasn't expecting to enjoy my music with these so much. They work really great unamped with an iPod, and even better with CD player and my Tomahawk! I can't wait to try them out with a DVD.

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't possibly see how there can be any ultrasone bashers after listening with these.

That's how I feel about the PROline 750's!

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #36 of 41
I think things like the 750s are intriguing if only because people either hate it or they love it, as compared to something I love (lagavulin whiskey) yet others hate, finding something like that is a gem no matter which line you fall on. slightly forces of you to try it out, see where you find it.

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #37 of 41
I found that the W5000 does not leak much at all, and none at all if you listen at low volumes.
But even at high volumes they leak very little, if some background noise like a TV was on, others would not be able to hear your headphones, although you can hear them, because their isolation is not that great.

But personally I didn't find that much of a problem, since if I want to be totally isolated, I'd use my IEMs, and the W5000 with volume turned up a bit is still enough to block out background noises like a TV on medium volume.
So I wouldn't dismiss these just yet, as they are great cans.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not trying to pick on Andrew here, but I perceived two things differently.

1. I think the D2000's and D5000's isolate sound identically. Which is to say fair, but not great.

I meant that they isolate *better* than W5000, but definitely not on par with K271S or PL750 for sure.

Aug 28, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #39 of 41
If you are looking for closed over the ear cans: check into the Equation Audio RP-21 or the RP-22X( if you can find a place to listen to the 22X). After 5 months of listening to the Equations I am still amazed at their performance For a closed headphone the Equations have a open quality to them I haven't heard in other closed headphones( I haven't heard them all). They also exhibit a loudspeaker monitor type quality that is superb.

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #40 of 41
Well I ended up ordering the Ultrasone 750's, and W5000 to try out. I'll post this man's thoughts later.

I wanted to thank you guys for the opinions, and thoughts. Was really nice getting such great feedback, sans any l33t speak or other fan-boy elitism's.

Sep 6, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude you live in Seattle, Go down Roosevelt going south of 65th. there are a lot of stereo stores close together so you can go park and walk and go test drive a lot of different headphones. Oh yeah, bring your CD's. It will be fun.

Any Stax dealers in the area? I need to listen to the 005 to see what the baby stax can do....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back