open ear lover seeks closed cans by order of wife.
Aug 28, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #16 of 41
It's a matter of acclimation. I wouldn't even go to an audiologist unless you are comfortable with IEMs or canalphones in general. I would use foam rolls instead of silicon as it's the least intrusive into the domain of physical discomfort.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by thisbenjamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cosmopragma - do you think if I did the plunge into seeing an ear doc and getting molds made it would make that much of a difference for comfort?

does anyone have any experience with that here? or otherwise solutions to in ear thingies creeping your out?
smily_headphones1.gif

I just had mine done for some Livewires. Not a big deal. Was not uncomfortable at all. Can't wait for them to show up. In Seattle a lot of audiologist don't do foam impressions for IEM's. I was surprised, or if they did it was 90 bux an ear. I live in the Ballard area. That might have something to do with it.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #18 of 41
ugh such a hard decision because I have to make it blindly. I know with the in ear stuff I'd get a win regardless, I love the sound from the E3Cs, I just don't like how they feel.I know if I threw more money for the models up, it'd only get better.

I don't want to risk getting closed cans if they won't actually isolate sound from my dear wife.

I guess the other option is to feed her a bunch of wine at dinner every night.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #19 of 41
Feed her a bunch of wine at dinner every night... Women have been known to change their mind!LOL

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #21 of 41
Just PM'd you with the info. Hope it helps

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Jpelg - the only thing i've heard of 750's is in negative light, did you find they require long burn in or possibly picky about gear? Don't get me wrong I don't want to offend.

Clearly you haven't read all hundred-million pages of the "big Ultrasone" thread.
wink.gif

But seriously...I don't find the Utrasones very picky about their associated gear any more than other quality headphones. Of course, the better source or amp, the better-off you'll be. But I think your setup will do (for now
evil_smiley.gif
)

Wrt burn in, yes they require at least 150 hrs to start sounding like they are capable. Plug them into a source and put them under a few pillows for a week straight. Only after than can you give them an audition.

I can't guarantee they'll be your preference, but without that burn-in you won't be able to say you gave them a serious shot.

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #23 of 41
You might want to consider ordering variable venting if you go the custom IEM route. We offer this option at Livewires as do many, if not all, of the custom manufacturers.

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to consider ordering variable venting if you go the custom IEM route. We offer this option at Livewires as do many, if not all, of the custom manufacturers.

What is the variable venting? what are the options? and how much does it cost? and with my order in is it too late?

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #25 of 41
You know I might pick up the 750's and the Livewires - Worst case I end up with some cans that sound weird, and some new in ear thingies that will finally push me to find out if getting somthing custom made for my ear could be comfortable (250 isn't bad for an experiment) worst case I tell wifey I tried and maybe I could then just get some fancy tube amp like i've wanted for a while.

The other thing being maybe, just maybe - if I stir the pot enough I could just get the new grado GS1000's instead. You know if pigs fly and whatnot.

Ok, well thanks for the insite fellas, and the time. I'll be sure and let you know what I end up doing. I've got until Friday to pull the trigger.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #28 of 41
Choomanchoo do you iron?LOL

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #29 of 41
W5000 does not block outside noise very well, it's somewhere on par with open headphones, leak out is not that bad actually.

D2000 provides better isolation, but of course not as refined and might need a recable to tame bass down and accentuate details, they are a bit blurry in stock form.

K271S provides an excellent isolation, very good resolution and tight, punchy bass, sounds like small version of HD650. Zu cable adds extra details and makes bass punchier and better controlled, sounds unbelievably good for the price, with velour pads (use AKG pads only, not Beyer) comfort goes up tremendously, but they are useless without proper amplification.

Somehow Proline 750 didn't work for me at all, terrible comfort wise, recessed midrange, metallic bright highs and uneasy overloaded bass. To my ears that was like a combination of worst qualities imaginable in a single headphone.

Good luck on your quest.
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Choomanchoo do you iron?LOL

Actually yes, NOT very good by any means, but have attempted with some success
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Are you offering to do my laundry?

Only if you don't mind me washing whites and colors together on hot water,