open cans with clarity
Sep 6, 2009 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

biscuiterietraou

New Head-Fier
i've been looking for a pair of headphones to complement my phonaks cause i hate using iems at home. i used to own a pair of alessandro ms1s but after i bought and got used to the phonak sound they started to sound pretty muffled to me.

so i sold them, and im looking for a warm sound with decent bass and treble extension, and can match the detail and clarity of my phonaks (or at least come close). i tried the at ad700, ad900 and w1000, beyer 880, denon 2ks and 5ks, portapros and (they were all quite disappointing) the closest i've got to the warm clear sound im looking for is the sennheiser hd238. is that really the best i can get? or is it just a matter of getting used to the sound presented by the forementioned phones? or are headphones just not built for clarity?

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 22
The DT880-600Ω have some incredible clarity, but they are a little cold. If you like the warm sound signiture of Sennheiser, check out the HD600 and HD650.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by biscuiterietraou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i tried the at ad700, ad900 and w1000, beyer 880, denon 2ks and 5ks, portapros and (they were all quite disappointing) the closest i've got to the warm clear sound im looking for is the sennheiser hd238.

Either you are a treblehead (2nd hand DT931, CD3000) or a detail freak (Stax).

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 22
Are you amping them enough? Full size headphone can sound uncontrolled when its not properly amped.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 22
Not to an extend that a good one sounds bad.

Sep 6, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

i've been looking for a pair of headphones to complement my phonaks cause i hate using iems at home. i used to own a pair of alessandro ms1s but after i bought and got used to the phonak sound they started to sound pretty muffled to me.

so i sold them, and im looking for a warm sound with decent bass and treble extension, and can match the detail and clarity of my phonaks (or at least come close). i tried the at ad700, ad900 and w1000, beyer 880, denon 2ks and 5ks, portapros and (they were all quite disappointing) the closest i've got to the warm clear sound im looking for is the sennheiser hd238. is that really the best i can get? or is it just a matter of getting used to the sound presented by the forementioned phones? or are headphones just not built for clarity?

How long have you tried each can? Also, what were you disappointed with? Give us a line or two about each of those cans you tried so we'll have some reference to what you prefer or don't like and we'll recommend accordingly.

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 22
most of these phones i only tried for an hour or so, and considering the shop i tried them in was probably not the best listening environment i may have made errors in judgement here.

ad700/900- too distant/ lifeless
dt880(only tried 600ohm one)- vocals too recessed
denon 2k and 5k- didnt sound anything like i'd expect for the price. just heard a lot of bass.
ms1s- muffled, very unclear
senn hd238- everything right?

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

most of these phones i only tried for an hour or so, and considering the shop i tried them in was probably not the best listening environment i may have made errors in judgement here.

ad700/900- too distant/ lifeless
dt880(only tried 600ohm one)- vocals too recessed
denon 2k and 5k- didnt sound anything like i'd expect for the price. just heard a lot of bass.
ms1s- muffled, very unclear
senn hd238- everything right?

Sounds to me from your description that none of the phones were properly amped. The DT880-600Ω has very upfront vocals, especially in the high frequency range and the AH-D2000 only has noticeably bloaty bass when unamped. I've tried my friend's HD238 and there is simply no way it could sound better than any of these cans amped. The bass in the HD238 is inaccurate and it simply does not have the detail or soundstage of the DT880-600Ω or AH-D2000, they're in a totally different category. The DT880-600Ω especially needs a very high gain amp in order to sound the way it should.

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 22
My first thought was to suggest the AKG K701(2) but I don't think many would say they are warm. The clarity is there though. The Beyer DT48 is said to be a very neutral phone with lots of detail

If you want to go whole hog, go with an electrostatic rig.

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first thought was to suggest the AKG K701(2) but I don't think many would say they are warm. The clarity is there though. The Beyer DT48 is said to be a very neutral phone with lots of detail

The 701/2, GMP 8.35 and the RS-1 are great and maybe the best under $500. Above you have the K-100 and the HD-800.
wink_face.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

More detailed then any of the cans mentioned here, but they are closed..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back