Open Cans $100-200
Aug 2, 2008 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

slick1ru2

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to new rock and classic rock. Pink Floyd and Allman Brothers to Foo Fighters and Linkin Park but sometimes Depeche Mode and the Cure both live and studio versions of all my music. I use a laptop or iPod for my source and my music is mostly high VBR mp3s. I have a pair of Senn PX100, love the sound and a pair of ATH-A700 that I really like too. I want an open pair in the $100-$200 range. I would like at least as much bass then my 700s, but I want it crisp like the ATH-A700s are, not muddled. I have narrowed to Beyer DT 440, DT 770, Senn HD-595 and HD-555, and the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. I have a large head and big ears, not as big as Spocks, but you know what I mean. The ATH-A700s fit fine and I can't even tell I have the PX100s on when I am wearing them. That is what I am looking for as well as the open stage effect. BTW, I have taken Grado and Alessandro out of the running because of comfort and durability issues I have read about (more with the Grado then the Alessandro). Input appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 10
Id recommend the AD700. It has a nice crisp sound to it as well as a large soundstage. It is a bit lacking in bass quantity though and will have less bass than the px100 or A700. The HD555 is ok but it is muffled sounding in comparison to the AD700. Soundstage is smaller as well but there is a bit more bass than the AD700. The DT770 are very bassy but have recessed mids and will require an amp. Im not familiar with the DT440 or HD595.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 10
I'd just like to point out that DT770s are closed.

I'd try to find some AKG K500s with K701 pads like I have. I know I sound like one of those people just recommending what he has, but they're genuinely excellent and versatile headphones, and the K701 pads bring up the bass a little, to where it's never really lacking.

EDIT: You should know that you'll have to amp the K500s though, so that may put it out of your consideration.

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 10
I decided what the heck and ordered a Grado SR-80

Aug 4, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 10
The HD595s to you as the best bang-for-the-buck. Truly great sounding open headphones for cheap (relatively). At 50ohms, you don't need an amp, either. You won't be disappointed with the SR-80s, they are one of the best non-amp headphones out there in my opinion. Not that they don't benefit from one. Did you take a look at the SR-125 or SR-225? They step it up a bit and are still within your pricerange (upper end). They'd need an amp too. It all really depends on the sound you want. HD595s are VERY different sounding than anything Grado makes. If you are a rock fan (which you describe), the Grado in-your-face sound will suite you better then the Sennheisers (a more distant, relaxed sound better for classical, but still very versatile). I'm saving up for a pair of SR-325s, the "grado-est of grados." I love their sound. Enjoy!

P.S. I'm avoiding putting down a "Money Spent Since Joining Head-Fi," it would just make me sad, terribly, terribly sad...

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #7 of 10
deleted dumb advice

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K-601

He already bought the sr-80's and why would you recommend that when that requires a more powerful amp than the k-701's would need.

Aug 4, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He already bought the sr-80's and why would you recommend that when that requires a more powerful amp than the k-701's would need.

Yup, you're right. With the Grado, there's no need to buy a K601.
Dumb advice
redface.gif

But ehm, I don't think the K601 doesn't need that much of a power amp.
It should be amped, but not more than other AKG or Senn headphones in my opinion.

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 10
So right after I buy the Grados I see the AKG K240STU which look better made in the same price range and have reviews that make one tend to think they have a similar sound to the Grados. Ah well. This is not the Mk IIs but the 55 ohm semi open studio cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back