thanks

May 2, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 16
May 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Green tea? :D

Yep. Green tea hagen daz is boss.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
cheers, by the way have you posted on any of my threads before? the profile picture seems familiar, what flavour ice cream is it? what about sennheiser hd518

Not sure that I have. The HD518's are interesting, as they supposedly have the same drivers as the HD558 according to a thread around here somewhere. But people also seem to unanimously recommend the HD558 over it, so, again, it's your choice. I haven't heard the HD518, so can't say much on how they compare to the 558's.

If you want a bassier/warmer sound, then look at the Fidelio L1. They've dropped to $150 twice since 2013... if you wait a bit longer they might drop yet again (Philips headphones are notorious for price dips).

May 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 16
I had ad700 and heard 900, my vote goes to Sennheiser, buy 558/518 and remove rubber tape or grill. here is my 558 - fully removed grills, you do not need these extremism, just only tape or grill. Sound sig. warm and nicely extended treble

Cheers

P.S. AD-s are flimsy and have no bass, treble extension is mediocre see graphs on en.goldenears.net 

May 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 16
Hey there, personally i highly suggest the HD558 over the HD518. It by itself sounds a lot better with a more controlled bass and soundstage depth.(in short, less muddy and boomy and more refined) Also there is the modding potential of the HD558, and the HD518 earpads are of a different material and are very extremely stiff and scratchy. The HD558 and HD598 share the same soft earpad material though the HD598 is softer. (but both will get a lot softer after a few weeks so even the HD558 is wearable for a few days at a time.)

Though not as extreme as Lumos's pair, but it's still some degree of modding.
AD's have terrible dry bass and artifical forced soundstage too.

May 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 16
I see, I've seen the fidelio l1s and I've gotta say, they look classy, I don't know whether it's the all black look, the way it curves on the back or what but... They look classy. Where can you get them for $150? and if so, does it ship to uk because the price in uk is currently £200. I've seen hd558 for $103 on amazon and shipping would bump that to 120-130, cheaper to get, bad for the environment but when you're not the richest on the planet...

May 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
I see, I've seen the fidelio l1s and I've gotta say, they look classy, I don't know whether it's the all black look, the way it curves on the back or what but... They look classy. Where can you get them for $150? and if so, does it ship to uk because the price in uk is currently £200. I've seen hd558 for $103 on amazon and shipping would bump that to 120-130, cheaper to get, bad for the environment but when you're not the richest on the planet...

Haha, nevermind. UK head-fi'ers have it tough, certainly. They were on sale for $150 on Amazon in the US in January and March of this year (for a couple days only, ofc) - still kicking myself for not grabbing a pair. While they do offer international shipping, the shipping fee will be pretty hefty- still above your price limit.

What about the DT990 Pro? I see that Amazon.co.uk is selling them for £121... It has a hot treble but it might be better if you're looking for more bass.
Edit: Nevermind, apparently that works out to be around $190. Sucks.

May 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Haha, nevermind. UK head-fi'ers have it tough, certainly. They were on sale for $150 on Amazon in the US in January and March of this year (for a couple days only, ofc) - still kicking myself for not grabbing a pair. While they do offer international shipping, the shipping fee will be pretty hefty- still above your price limit.

What about the DT990 Pro? I see that Amazon.co.uk is selling them for £121... It has a hot treble but it might be better if you're looking for more bass.
Edit: Nevermind, apparently that works out to be around $190. Sucks.

I've got to agree, we have the least head-fi members, the headphone diversity is so narrow it's unbelievable, there are hardly any decent headphone shops and meets come round  once a year or two. What about beyerdynamic custom pro 1, fun, not strictly audiophile, but fun.

May 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #12 of 16
Man, you guys had an AWESOME UK meet recently! Made me really jealous. 
biggrin.gif
 And apparently, it's happening again, so you have another chance, OP! 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662004/london-calling-19th-october-2013

Sorry for derailing.

May 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Sorry for derailing.

so am i. any chance having a meet at sac, where i'm living?

you boys sometimes have to be more considerate, ah??
sorry for derailing too
L3000.gif

May 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 16
I throughly enjoy my modded Somic EFi-82 Pro "opefi" headphones. They are sold as closed back headphones but the mod truly opens them up. They're highly detailed and very airy but won't have the big bass you'd find in headphones considered more "fun". Still, they're not heavy and will accomodate Shure 840/940 pads or HM5 pads for long term comfort. I think my total investment was $65 and 2-3 hours for these. However, good luck with your search.

May 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Sorry for derailing.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back