Open Back, upgrade from IFIMAN HE400
May 30, 2015 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Jbmorrey

500+ Head-Fier
So I currently have a HE400 and Beyerdynamic dt880, willing to sell one or both to help pay for an upgrade, my first thought is the HE400i, but I wanted to see what other recommendations everyone could come up with. Budget of about $350. Willing to buy used, and something with simular sound characteristics as the HE400, clarity, detailed, and great mid's, I listen to acoustic and instrumentals at times.

Thanks,
James

May 31, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 40
Thanks,

I did not care much for the AKG701, not sure why... I feel like I should have. I feel like I am at that point where, as you said, even spending another 150 or so after I sell my headphone, the upgrade might not be that noticeable. It looks like I would have to dig deeper into my pockets for an improvement, I will look at that new Audio Technica, never head of it, thanks!,

James

May 31, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 40
Look, upgrade and downgrade is a matter of preference at this point. Some people consider DT880 as an upgrade over HE400i, and DT880 is not miles away from the T1, which is one of the best headphones on Earth, so, you get the picture...

It's very important that you get a very good idea of what you are looking for, since there's always a trade off despite the budget.

If you really like the HE400, then HE400i seems to be a safe pick.

May 31, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 40
Really... The mid's are better! And if I understand correctly, they are lighter in weight as well, looks like the 400i might be the way to go. I also was considering the 500, but I have read reviews about the bass not being as strong on the 500 and the 400's base is "just right" to me. Anyone know the differences between the 400 and 400i in terms of Bass?

James

May 31, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 40
Really... The mid's are better! And if I understand correctly, they are lighter in weight as well, looks like the 400i might be the way to go. I also was considering the 500, but I have read reviews about the bass not being as strong on the 500 and the 400's base is "just right" to me. Anyone know the differences between the 400 and 400i in terms of Bass?

James

The HE-400i has a bit less bass than the HE-400, closer to the HE-500. There is plenty of texture and definition, but it doesn't hit as hard as the old HE-400. EQ helps though. 

If you're not set on open headphones, I'd also suggest the Fostex TH-600. It's a bass monster, in a good way. More quantity and extension than the HE-400, though not quite as tight. And it's an upgrade to the HE-400 in most other respects--detail, clarity, etc. I own both the HE-400i and TH600. The TH600 is more fun than the HE-400i for rap and electronic, but the HE-400i's warmer, lusher sound is a nice change of pace. They are about equal in technical ability but I prefer the mids on the HE-400i and the bass on the TH-600. 

May 31, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 40
I am not set on open cans, but I prefer them for soundstage purposes. As for Fostex, where do the Mad Dog 3.2 stack up? I am afraid the TH-600 go past my budget. Also, when I received my HE400, I also got 3 sets of pads, the pleather/ fabric combo, the all pleather pds and all fabric pads, I have not switched them out yet and have only listened to the pleather/fabric combo ones, anyone have a link to a comparrison of the three, perhaps just switching the pads may make a difference I may like. Thanks,

James

May 31, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 40
Sounds like you have focus pads and the old pads. It's worth trying the all fabric ones. The pleather ones are meh by themselves but it's completely worth the time to turn them into Jerg pads (just search for jerg pads). You can also jergify the focus pads. 

May 31, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 40
for that price nothing will sound like upgrade
Sennheiser HD600 have little better soundstage and AKG Q701 has little better clarity and control.

Agreed. Unless you can find a headphone that was simply a better sonic signature fit for you to begin with. I think you'd have to do some headphone demoing to discover that :)

May 31, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #12 of 40
The problem I run into is that there are no stores her in San Antonio,TX to demo anything better than Sennheiser Momentum or B&w P7, I am limited to a Best Buy. So I cannot get my hands on AKG, Hifiman, Mr.speakers, oppo or audeze to even understand their differences.. I have to trust reviews with impressions of sound signatures, and that can at times be all over the place. So I am hoping that I can say, I like the sound of the HE400, I just want to see if I can get an improvement, I just switched out my Focus pads and am going to try the velour pads to see if I can hear a difference, they are a little more comfortable on my head, I will say that, it "feels" like a better seal.

James

May 31, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 40
The problem I run into is that there are no stores her in San Antonio,TX to demo anything better than Sennheiser Momentum or B&w P7, I am limited to a Best Buy. So I cannot get my hands on AKG, Hifiman, Mr.speakers, oppo or audeze to even understand their differences.. I have to trust reviews with impressions of sound signatures, and that can at times be all over the place. So I am hoping that I can say, I like the sound of the HE400, I just want to see if I can get an improvement, I just switched out my Focus pads and am going to try the velour pads to see if I can hear a difference, they are a little more comfortable on my head, I will say that, it "feels" like a better seal.

James

Isn't there a Guitar Center in San Antonio? They might have some AKG, Sennheiser, and Shure (and Beyerdynamics) over there. 

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 40
Yes, and I know exactly where it is, I never thought of going by there, I actually forgot about it until you mentioned it! Now I know where I am going after work tomorrow.

Thanks,

James

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 40
Yes, and I know exactly where it is, I never thought of going by there, I actually forgot about it until you mentioned it! Now I know where I am going after work tomorrow.

Thanks,

James

Try this place, too: http://www.bjorns.com/collections/headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back