Open-Back Fostex TH-X00 - Good Idea?
Apr 24, 2018 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17
Hey,

I have the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony, and was thinking to replace the wood earcups with Lawton ones.
Out of curiosity, I listened to my TH-X00 with the ebony cups removed. And Wow was I surprised :)

Did you try listening to TH-X00 with the cups removed? I find that "Open-back" TH-X00 gain soundstage and bass extension without loosing detail.
What is your impression?

Cheers,
Vicky

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 17
Hey,

I have the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony, and was thinking to replace the wood earcups with Lawton ones.
Out of curiosity, I listened to my TH-X00 with the ebony cups removed. And Wow was I surprised :)

Did you try listening to TH-X00 with the cups removed? I find that "Open-back" TH-X00 gain soundstage and bass extension without loosing detail.
What is your impression?

Cheers,
Vicky
No, have not. I would assume it would lose that bass characteristics X00 has.

How easy is it to remove? Does it go back in without any changes?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 17
How easy is it to remove? Does it go back in without any changes?
There are 4 little screws under each earpad, holding the wood cup - Very easy to remove and put back. Just don't over-tighten the screws.

I would assume it would lose that bass characteristics X00 has
On the contrary. To my ears, the bass gets deep and powerful. I don't think removing the cups affects the mid-range and highs as much as boosting the sub-bass.

I've been told that modding close-back headphones to be open-back usually affects the sound signature in a very bad way. But the TH-X00 are semi-open, so this isn't the case.

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 17
If you feel the open backed 50mm biocellulose would be your end game, then the best option seems to be to acquire a used pair of th500rp, and use those metal open cups.

Seems the lowest would be $250-$300

Its a pricey endeavor to audio bliss; albeit all things relative, the X00 (399) + th500rp used = $600-$650. One member was able to confirm this mod in the other threads w/ pics

Or in the th-x00/ denon threads

another member used 4" China speaker grills, which is cheaper, and well looks cheaper.

Whether it is worth it depends on the person. :)

Apr 24, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 17
Here is the mod SHAMuuu was referring to: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review.788776/page-464
Also, there should be a 3D-printable grill design for Fostex X00 headphones somewhere in that thread.
It's hard to find a cheap TH-500RP. Perhaps 3D-printing will be a good alternative.

The bass is ridiculous, The mids are in your face, and the highs are very well extended, Almost too much
Seems that you're not the first to notice the potential of an open-back bio-cellulose driver.
I wonder if other people tried removing the cups from their X00 to hear them open...

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 17
Here is the mod SHAMuuu was referring to: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review.788776/page-464
Also, there should be a 3D-printable grill design for Fostex X00 headphones somewhere in that thread.
It's hard to find a cheap TH-500RP. Perhaps 3D-printing will be a good alternative.

Seems that you're not the first to notice the potential of an open-back bio-cellulose driver.
I wonder if other people tried removing the cups from their X00 to hear them open...

Been gone from the forums for a good while. Need to catch up. Anyways... PM me. When I was going through the whole open back project I acquired 4 sets of th500rp cups. May have some to sell.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 17

Attachments

• 17E54F0E-6A96-4610-BBE7-89979EF33533.jpeg
    17E54F0E-6A96-4610-BBE7-89979EF33533.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 17
Been gone from the forums for a good while. Need to catch up. Anyways... PM me. When I was going through the whole open back project I acquired 4 sets of th500rp cups. May have some to sell.

Have you tried the cups on th900? Wonder how that would be :D

Do you have measurement of driver capsule if possible. E.g Diameter of the capsule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 25, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #13 of 17
Have you tried the cups on th900? Wonder how that would be :D

Do you have measurement of driver capsule if possible. E.g Diameter of the capsule.

I have tried all combos of drivers and cups. Th900 with 500 cups are full of bass. The biodyna driver moves freely and really pushes air, however without a measurement rig, it’s difficult for me to say whether sonically accurate or not.

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #14 of 17
I have tried all combos of drivers and cups. Th900 with 500 cups are full of bass. The biodyna driver moves freely and really pushes air, however without a measurement rig, it’s difficult for me to say whether sonically accurate or not.

I am curious about the diameter of the actual driver capsule. E.g for future reference to pop a 900 driver into some open shells like a dt880. Think drivers go for like 120 a pop

Apr 29, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 17
I am curious about the diameter of the actual driver capsule.
Unfortunately, I don't have TH-900. But for future reference, here are some details about the TH-X00 Ebony driver capsule (AFAIK, they are identical to TH-600):
Driver Lettering
Capsule Measurement
Diameter = 9.3mm

it’s difficult for me to say whether sonically accurate or not.
For the last week I've been struggling with the same question. I listened to my TH-X00 Ebony with and without the wood cups, and both have benefits and shortcoming. The sub-bass boost of the open-mod is indeed significant - a treat for any bass-head! To my ears, it sounds deep and rumbly, not muddy or loose. But is it possible to achieve the same bass extension by simply swapping the stock pads for extra-deep sheepskin ones? (Alpha Pads come to mind). Also, without the cups, loss of definition in the mids is noticeable. Female vocals and acoustic guitars sound muffled and less detailed. A bit of the sparkle in the upper-mids is lost as well. Sadly, I have to say no - open-back Fostex TH-X00 are not a good idea. For a better performing bass-cannon, may I suggest T50RP MK3 with Alpha Pads and HD600 inner disc inserts?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back