Open Announcement on the HiFiMAN HE-400
Oct 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 143
Dear Friends of HiFiMAN:

Since being introduced earlier this year, our HE-400 headphone has been very successful and one of the most exciting high-performance models in the category. HE-400 is known for its powerful bass, smooth frequency response and lifelike detail.

Like any good company, HiFiMAN makes upgrades to its products whenever we think we can improve its performance or quality. So about four weeks ago, we upgraded the support for the driver magnet. That unintentionally created an audible peak or brightness and within the past two weeks, HE-400 customers started to report this problem because they knew this was not consistent with any HifiMAN headphone, especially HE-400.

Investigating this feedback, I discovered that the change did help improve the structural integrity but it unfortunately created this peak. In the military, they call this "friendly fire", at HiFiMAN I call it totally unacceptable.

We have corrected this problem at the manufacturing level so all HE-400s now shipped will be with the sound that everyone has been raving about for several months. We have also identified which models were affected by this "upgrade" and want to replace them at our expense as soon as possible. If you purchased a HE-400 in the past 30 days, simply email customerservice@head-direct.com and in the subject line, reference "HE-400 Fang".

HiFiMAN has built its reputation on quality, great sound and standing behind our products. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to our valued HifiMAN owners. We will do whatever it takes to make it right.

With Best Regards,
Fang Bian
Founder and President
HiFiMAN

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 143
Quote:
Dear Friends of HiFiMAN:

Since being introduced earlier this year, our HE-400 headphone has been very successful and one of the most exciting high-performance models in the category. HE-400 is known for its powerful bass, smooth frequency response and lifelike detail.

Like any good company, HiFiMAN makes upgrades to its products whenever we think we can improve its performance or quality. So about four weeks ago, we upgraded the support for the driver magnet. That unintentionally created an audible peak or brightness and within the past two weeks, HE-400 customers started to report this problem because they knew this was not consistent with any HifiMAN headphone, especially HE-400.

Investigating this feedback, I discovered that the change did help improve the structural integrity but it unfortunately created this peak. In the military, they call this "friendly fire", at HiFiMAN I call it totally unacceptable.

We have corrected this problem at the manufacturing level so all HE-400s now shipped will be with the sound that everyone has been raving about for several months. We have also identified which models were affected by this "upgrade" and want to replace them at our expense as soon as possible. If you purchased a HE-400 in the past 30 days, simply email customerservice@head-direct.com and in the subject line, reference "HE-400 Fang".

HiFiMAN has built its reputation on quality, great sound and standing behind our products. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to our valued HifiMAN owners. We will do whatever it takes to make it right.

With Best Regards,
Fang Bian
Founder and President
HiFiMAN

Many thanks for the swift response Fang!

My problematic HE400s were a replacement to an older pair I sent back due to a driver damage; for sure this is also applicable for this recall?

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 143
Personally, I find it refreshing and wonderful that HFM is not only willing to admit the problem but to stand behind those people who have supported their product and make things right. 

Well done!! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 143
Wow. This is awesome. Sent you guys an email. Thank you!!!!

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 143
This level of customer service is indeed impressive! Well done, Fang!

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 143
Indeed, this level of customer service is genuinely commendable. My confidence in Hifiman has just doubled because of Mr Fang's post. Previous to his post, I was strongly considering my next purchase: the beyderdynamic t1. But Mr Fang has just derailed those plans. I'm now considering the He500 and maybe the dt1350 for portable use. Besides, now that I've sampled Planar dynamic goodness, I definitely want more.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 143
Hi Fang lets say that today i place an order for yet another new HE400 from  you guys.This means it will for sure sound just like  first batch rev2 drivers in the HE-400s??

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 143
I'm pretty sure mine is the Rev 2. since it had the white grid (instead of the yellow).

But I ordered mine 3 weeks ago. Wondering if my model is apart of this recall (or replacement). I know technically he said in the last 30 days, but was thinking maybe they sent me one of the older batch. =/

EDIT: not that I'm complaining. Really cool of HiFiMan. I guess I should just send them back in just to be sure. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 143
Some good news, I had an unpleasant night after what I read yesterday, but that's good news.

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #12 of 143
Quote:
Dear Friends of HiFiMAN:

With Best Regards,
Fang Bian
Founder and President
HiFiMAN

I haven't yet ordered my HE-400's yet, so this is great news as i was looking at other headphones!  If i were to order from head-direct, at which point in time should i go about doing that to ensure i get the latest revision drivers (rev4?) ?

Also, how will we be able to distinquish the new revision from the older ones? white, yellow drivers, etc.

Thank you in advance, and for impressive customer care : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back