"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Dec 3, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #481 of 979
I guess I'm just having trouble finding the leaks. I have all the vents closed, the cups sealed with silicone and jam packed with wool. Dat bass is insane. Maybe it's leaking around my jack.

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #482 of 979
I guess I'm just having trouble finding the leaks. I have all the vents closed, the cups sealed with silicone and jam packed with wool. Dat bass is insane. Maybe it's leaking around my jack.

Do you by any chance have too much wool in it?
It's a possibility, try messing around with the amount of wool.
Other thing you can do is reduce the amount of air going to the driver by placing permeable material like felt over the driver, or even block some of the holes.
In my pair with stock cups I cut out the paper backing and stuffed each of the holes with a thick cloth material, which I think brought out the mids, and made them smoother. A hard surface around the driver will usually reflect the high frequencies, so try using a hard reflex dot somewhere over the driver

Dec 3, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #483 of 979
If you have access to a 3D printer you could print out a waveguide. I've played around with one which reduced the bass and brought the mids forward a tad.

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #484 of 979

The center hole for the screw that holds the cup to the headband is another area that could leak. But I’d also go with something less than “jam packed” on the wool.

Jan 3, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #487 of 979
Jan 23, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #489 of 979
Hello friends, I finally decided to transform my mk3´s into alphas.
Any recommendations from more experienced modders? :)
I will see where I can print my cups and I´m not sure where to find the connectors/cables yet.
Should I buy some from China? I would like to buy the original MrSpeakers, but the shipping to EU would probably cost me as much as the connectors... :/

Jan 28, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #490 of 979
Forgot to ask, but what did you use to apply the waveguide? I'm thinking of applying some using two-part epoxy adhesive.

I used strong tape to hold it in place to demo the sound, which made it easy to reverse.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #491 of 979
Shapeways is a good resource for reliable, quality prints, though they often use subtractive materials which create heavier, solid parts...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 30, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #492 of 979
Hello friends, I finally decided to transform my mk3´s into alphas.
Any recommendations from more experienced modders? :)
I will see where I can print my cups and I´m not sure where to find the connectors/cables yet.
Should I buy some from China? I would like to buy the original MrSpeakers, but the shipping to EU would probably cost me as much as the connectors... :/

I spent some time thinking about where to buy discounted connectors, but then realized that I could not place a price on how awesome @mrspeakers has been to me over the years with this hobby. I was able to upgrade a used Mad Dog that I purchased to an Alpha Prime, and I also have a wonderful Ether 1.1 which might get sent back to get the upgrade to an Ether Flow.

I’ll gladly continue to buy things like jacks and connectors, leather straps and pads... they’re great!

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #493 of 979
I finally have my cups printed, I am really surprised by the quality of the 3D printer at my university :D
(metallic black finish inc)
1.jpg
2.jpg

I was afraid that screw holes may not print well, but this is awesome :)
Wasn´t so lucky with waveguides tho :D I guess it is enough for testing now.
3.jpg

Also my Hirose connectors arrived! These looks and feels lovely! (the rubber thingy is there just to protect the pins now..)
4.jpg

Just waiting for Ag/Co cables from PAPRI audio to arrive so I can start :)
Just one question: The gold ring is supposed to secure the cables and end up in line with the screw like I have them lined now?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #494 of 979
I finally have my cups printed, I am really surprised by the quality of the 3D printer at my university :D
(metallic black finish inc)

I was afraid that screw holes may not print well, but this is awesome :)
Wasn´t so lucky with waveguides tho :D I guess it is enough for testing now.

Also my Hirose connectors arrived! These looks and feels lovely! (the rubber thingy is there just to protect the pins now..)

Just waiting for Ag/Co cables from PAPRI audio to arrive so I can start :)
Just one question: The gold ring is supposed to secure the cables and end up in line with the screw like I have them lined now?

Wow, that 3d printer must be very impressive! What kind of filament did it use?

Since your cups are way better than my current ones, what price would you name if I may have you print some for me(just the left and right cups, not the baffle and rings)?

As for the gold ring, I did the same thing as you suggested, so it should work.

Mar 11, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #495 of 979
Wow, that 3d printer must be very impressive! What kind of filament did it use?

Since your cups are way better than my current ones, what price would you name if I may have you print some for me(just the left and right cups, not the baffle and rings)?

As for the gold ring, I did the same thing as you suggested, so it should work.

No idea about the filament and price, I would like to help you, but my friend printed it with 3D printer at our university using some leftover filament. He just told me that the 3D printer costs more than $50k :D
I bet it would be expensive af, because the s**tty waveguides cost me $10 :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back