"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Mar 18, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #361 of 979
Yeah, modding and that is fun, but I cannot afford to mod these with the possibility of making them worse or just completely ruining them... Trust me, I'd like to try, but they are my best pair of heaphones that I own.

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #362 of 979
I'm curious as to how many of you actually use testing equipment and try to reproduce your tests as accurately as possible while trying out different things. This is not supposed to be a negative comment by any means, but it just seems strange that so many people who are trying to get better audio quality seemingly just do it by "ear", which is quite flawed. Maybe it's just trying to get what "you" like rather than what it scientifically sounds like.

I don't have the necessary equipment to do this with headphones, but I have used a calibrated mic and a 1/24 octave RTA to EQ my car audio system to ruler flat... It sounded awful. So yes, it really is about getting a tuning that you like.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #363 of 979
Yeah, modding and that is fun, but I cannot afford to mod these with the possibility of making them worse or just completely ruining them... Trust me, I'd like to try, but they are my best pair of heaphones that I own.

Soldering on the drivers is probably the most risky part of the Open Alpha project, If you aren't comfortable with that, you should probably just stick with the stock cups and wiring. There are quite a few mods that you can do to the T50RP that are not destructive and not even risky. The biggest question is whether you find the stock pads to be comfortable. If so, you might not need to change a thing. If not, swap out a more comfortable pad and go from there. Without even opening the cups you can get huge changes from different ear-side damping materials and covering the cup vents to varying degrees. If you are willing to open the cups, I recommend ordering the Mayflower mod kit and trying it out.

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #364 of 979
I did end up getting more comfortable pads for the stock MK3, but that is as much as I've done. One thing I'd really like to do is make it into a balanced mini xlr setup. The problem is that I my listening skills are quite lacking and I would be blindly guessing as to what I did or how to fix it. I also don't have the money nor time to try and make a rig to test them on.

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #365 of 979
  Ok, so you had to split one strand or add another one I guess? I think I will stick to making new cables, though...

While I do not know how large those cotton balls are, I believe I used much less wool, so seems like a solid plan to start tuning that.

Yep had to split at the Y join but re-used the stock cable all the way. Solder on the hirose connector.

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #366 of 979
I asked Arty McGhee if he'd send me his Open Alpha so I could give it a listen and he said yes, imagine that. So he shipped his Alpha all the way up to Canada.

I was very impressed with the sound of these cans. I usually don't like closed cans because of the lack of soundstage and closed in sound but these have a nice big soundstage like an open headphone. The bass is goes deep with a very nice midrange, it doesn't have extended treble where you hear all the micro details, its a little rolled off, but when you mix all the qualities of this can together it sounds simply fantastic

Thanks Howard.

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #367 of 979
I asked Arty McGhee if he'd send me his Open Alpha so I could give it a listen and he said yes, imagine that. So he shipped his Alpha all the way up to Canada.

I was very impressed with the sound of these cans. I usually don't like closed cans because of the lack of soundstage and closed in sound but these have a nice big soundstage like an open headphone. The bass is goes deep with a very nice midrange, it doesn't have extended treble where you hear all the micro details, its a little rolled off, but when you mix all the qualities of this can together it sounds simply fantastic

Thanks Howard.

He sounds like a great guy! :)

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #368 of 979

Thanks Howard.

He sounds like a great guy! :)

He is!

We've made a few trades in tue past, cables for wood cups. We share a liking for Grado modding.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #370 of 979
Wow, massive thanks to MrSpeakers for releasing these files to the community. This is absolutely amazing. I was planning on designing my own over the Easter break but I guess I will be getting a head start printing instead. 

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #372 of 979

Hi, sorry for the late reply!
Not sure what happened to the links... I've checked my Dropbox account a few minutes ago and all the files are still there!

I understand that there's been some changes made by Dropbox lately, which may likely include the way public links are created, hence why the previous one are now no longer working.
Ok, guess I'll need to go back on my Dropbox account, copy the new links and share them here again.

I'll do this straight away!

Cheers,
Marco

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #373 of 979
Could someone share stencil for foam made by wuthoqquan? Links doesn't work.

Hi,

all the links have now been fixed and they should work properly again!

As explained in my previous post, it looks like Dropbox has made some changes to the way public links are created, which unfortunately has corrupted the ones previously shared here on Head-Fi.
I've edited my previous post and updated them with the new (current!) links.

Anyway, I'm also providing the new links here below, for those who might prefer a single post with all the links to the stencil created for the Open Alpha project.

1) Foam Stencil

JPEG version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7n4c0ys1q23giy2/Acoustic%20Foam%20Stencil%20for%20Open%20Alpha.jpg?dl=0

PDF version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zbpokrqz8l1vt1/Acoustic%20Foam%20Stencil%20for%20Open%20Alpha.pdf?dl=0

2) Gasket Stencil

JPEG version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/girzy0z7pix65z3/Gasket%20Stencil%20Open%20Alpha.jpg?dl=0

PDF version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwvnttowoi88q7s/Gasket%20Stencil%20Open%20Alpha.pdf?dl=0

3) Baffle Ring Stencil

JPEG version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfsw14nzfr2lcze/Baffle%20Ring%20Stencil.jpg?dl=0

PDF version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/71vbdsg1ad11rrr/Baffle%20Ring%20Stencil.pdf?dl=0

As always, please remember to print the stencils at their 100% size, with no scaling set in the printing options.

Apr 15, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #374 of 979
Hi Wuthoqquan, Im signed into dropbox but I still can't access these files. Getting a 403 error.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back