Open air for rock w/ no amp $150-$200
Oct 29, 2008 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Posts
431
Likes
44
So I have chosen to just spend more money for my frequent flying adventures. I am going to buy IEMs and open air cans.

I am looking for good cans for rock (so a punch, but im not a basshead) that I will be using w/ no amp (for at least a few months) and in my budget of $150-$200. Technically when I am at home they will be amped through my receiver

Requirements:
Sound better than my AD700s
$150-$200
Small enough to be put in a bag and tough enough to travel inside of a bag
Rock music oriented but still great for highs

Music: Pearl Jam, Nine Inch Nails, Porcupine Tree, some classical, zepp, floyd, beatles

I am leaning towards Grados right now as I do like their sound, but I am not sure if they will be good enough w/o an amp

Thanks
John
 
Oct 29, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 24

aragornmustdie

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 1, 2008
Posts
364
Likes
13
alessandro MS1 has very juicy mids and fun, punchy sound. i almost bought it but i decided i love my ES7s more. lol. no amp required; but a fiio wouldn't hurt your wallet.
 
Oct 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 24

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Posts
431
Likes
44
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alessandro MS1 has very juicy mids and fun, punchy sound. i almost bought it but i decided i love my ES7s more. lol. no amp required; but a fiio wouldn't hurt your wallet.



I feel like spending more than $100, so I am going to cross them off the list.

How is the soundstage on grados? I know they are not the best for soundstage
 
Oct 29, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 24

limathy

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 5, 2007
Posts
281
Likes
0
yeh x2 on MS1s or you could get some nice grado 225s maybe?
i'm loving my Ms1's too,
 
Oct 29, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 24

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
13,179
Likes
24
They suck on soundstage.
wink.gif


Any Grado (except GS1K) will sound decent unamped and most will grow with one. If you want to spend more look at the SR225s. Decent jump from MS1s and half way to RS1s. The MS1s are crazy bang for buck though.
 
Oct 29, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 24

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Posts
431
Likes
44
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They suck on soundstage.
wink.gif


Any Grado (except GS1K) will sound decent unamped and most will grow with one. If you want to spend more look at the SR225s. Decent jump from MS1s and half way to RS1s. The MS1s are crazy bang for buck though.



Are the sr225s worth it if they are going to be unamped through an IPOD?

Are they any other 150-200 dollar headphones with grado type rock sound with more of a sound stage?
 
Oct 29, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 24

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
13,179
Likes
24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rage3324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the sr225s worth it if they are going to be unamped through an IPOD?

Are they any other 150-200 dollar headphones with grado type rock sound with more of a sound stage?



There's still an improvement over the MS1 even straight from the iPod. Worth the price in that scenario though depends on the person. I thought so.

I can't think of a phone with Grado-like energy at that price range and without an amp.
 
Oct 29, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 24

bce22

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 19, 2008
Posts
276
Likes
21
I agree, go for the grado! You might be able to score a ridiculous deal if you don't mind buying used on the FS forum. For 200 you probably can find a used SR-325i. Maybe!

And those are ridiculous phones for rock!!!
 
Oct 29, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 24

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 27, 2006
Posts
9,043
Likes
260
Location
STL area
I have RS-1s but I was impressed with the MS-2 with flats. Nice can for the music you list. Have to find used to get to your price. I agree with others on the performance being increased with an amp but they do sound good straight from the ipod.
 
Oct 29, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 24

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Posts
431
Likes
44
Quote:

Originally Posted by bce22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, go for the grado! You might be able to score a ridiculous deal if you don't mind buying used on the FS forum. For 200 you probably can find a used SR-325i. Maybe!

And those are ridiculous phones for rock!!!



Just found them for $200!
 
Oct 29, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 24

bce22

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 19, 2008
Posts
276
Likes
21
If they are the Grado SR325i's they are awesome and that is a great deal. I owned them and loved them and then upgraded to the RS-1s. The 325is are awesome for rock.
 
Oct 29, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 24

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Posts
22,597
Likes
502
Get the best pair of Grados you can afford. They're best for unamped rock, though will really rock when you get around to buying an amp.

Two others in your price range are the Beyereynamic DT770 and DT880. There are terrific deals on both right now. Unfortunately, they need an amp to really perform.
 
Oct 29, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 24

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Posts
431
Likes
44
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which one's...the 225's or 325i's? Are they new or used?


325i's for $200 shipped. Amazing deal from Rednamalas1. Now I am going to want an amp.. damn it.

This should really shine out of a nice denon received, right?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top