OpAmps for Asus Essence STX
Sep 15, 2009 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hookem

100+ Head-Fier
Have an AudioTrak HD2 Prodigy that have 2 OPA2604's paired with a AD8022.
Huge improvement over the stockers as recommended by members here at HeadFi.

I was wondering if there is a opamp set that is generally accepted as better than the ones that come with the Asus STX.

Want to upgrade without going through the opamp dance.

Would really appreciate known opamp combinations...My speaker setup consist of AudioEngine 5's run through a Velodyne VX-10.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 9
Well I'm really liking the sound of the OPA2228P in I/V right now, but I haven't had the chance to compare them against a whole lot of other op-amps yet.

What kind of sound signature are you looking for? It could help others recommend you some op-amps.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 9
Well there is different combos for different tastes.

The opamps in the STX are two JRC2114D's and the LM4562NA.

You can look at the LME49720HA for I/V or buffers. I am unsure of the actual setup on your card.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well there is different combos for different tastes.

The opamps in the STX are two JRC2114D's and the LM4562NA.

You can look at the LME49720HA for I/V or buffers. I am unsure of the actual setup on your card.

Not only that, but different setup also have different sound. I have no idea how Audioengine 5 sounds like, its up to you to find out
wink.gif
But one thing is, those opamp are better than the one fitted on I/V stage on ST/STX

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Well I have not gotten the STX as of yet...Waiting for my friend to get his Fubar III before he will turn loose of the card.

Made me a deal I cannot refuse...80 bucks and it is only a couple of months old.

It should be here this week...And I will post back with my impressions of how it sounds paired with the VX-10 and A5's.

On the LME49720HA's how many do I need ? Replace all three with the LME's or just the two ?

His setup consist of Mackie MR5's and it sounds good but the highs seem too bright for my taste...Bottom is kinda muddy sounding.

Guess I will run over to his place and listen to the setup again...Did not really pay that much attention to the overall sound when he got the card.

Thanks for the reply's.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 9
Wow that is a great deal.
The LME49720HA are a few rungs up the ladder from the LM4562. To use these on the STX you will need adapters.
If your using the line out then your card will be using all three opamps. If your using the headphones amplifier then your card will only be using the two rear matched opamps.
It is usually frowned upon to use three of the same opamps for both I/V and buffer as the bad points of the opamps can compound. That is dependant on the actual unit also to some extent.
Get teh card home, listen to it with your gear for a bit, get used to what it has to offer and then think of what you would like improved. Certain things can be improved with opamps. If we have a better idea of what your looking for we can try to recommend certain opamps or combinations of opamps to help get you what you want.

Post your impressions

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 9
Yeah I just got through putting my Mackie MR5's through it paces paired with a Chaintech AV-710.

Seems my setup sounds much different than his MR5's paired with the STX...My office rig sounds nice and smooth...No bright highs, no muddy bottom.

Of course my office rig does not have near as good soundstage or presence compared to his STX, MR5 setup...From what I can remember...Should have paid more attention when I listened to his stuff...He does like trance and likes a really bright sounding high end sound...He may have the card EQ'ed to get a sound that he preffers.

I on the other hand like a well balanced sound without boomy bass or bright highs...Listen to alot of Hendrix, Fusion Jazz, Classic Rock...Some of the older Hip-Hop stuff and older Jazz...So I like lots of detail, big sound stage and great presence.

Hopefully I can go over to his house and play with his setup later on this evening.

Thanks again for the reply's.

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 9
Well the opa2228p that I am using right now seem to fit your description. Compared to the stock ones, the soundstage seems bigger, they are more detailed and the highs are definitely tamed a little bit. They are also more bass heavy, but I wouldn't say that the bass is boomy at all. With that said, my speakers are very bright by nature(some can't stand Klipsch speakers because of that), so depending on your speakers, it may not be a good fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back