opamp for Apheared 47 amp
Jul 16, 2001 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Serow

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning to use the OPA2228 or OPA2134 opamp for my upcoming 47 amp. I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for better dual opamps. I know that the lcaudio.com dual AD825 dip adapter is supposed to be good, but also fairly expensive.

Thanks,
Eric

Jul 17, 2001 at 4:15 AM Post #2 of 5
This came about because I needed more drive current. But alot of opamps have good amounts. It will still sound better though, for various reasons, with parallel'd outputs.

Thing is, most opamps don't like driving low loads. They need to some kind of output stage. Directly driving a 300 or 120 ohm load is asking alot of them. (much less 32 ohm!) Even parallel'd it's not the ideal choice. But it's a cheap and simple choice! :p

All your suggested units are duals, are you planning on using the hansen board or just prefer the dual package? If you're building it on protoboard you may prefer singles.

2228 and 2134 both work very well. 6172s are great but may require some tweaking and don't like running off just 9V very well. Same for 825s, and besides that there's the single soic issue. (if you're considering lcaudio modules that's different, they turn 825s into dual DIP, but they will NOT fit a hansen board)

I am far from expert at this, I just throw money at the soldering iron and see what happens... Once HeadWize is back up, check the DIY thread there for many many suggestions on replacement opamps.

Jul 18, 2001 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the reply Apheared. I have some 6172s on order as I will use a AA batery pack. I will try the 6172, 2134 and 2228 and pick the best sounding one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back