Oops I did it again: Radiohead "The Bends"
Apr 16, 2004 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, after a year of listening to "OK Computer" I finally "got into" the album and decided that I liked it. I stated that in a recent thread here about Radiohead. Well, somewhere in that thread, someone said "The Bends" was an even better album. So, a recent convert to Radiohead, I thought now was the time. I bought "The Bends"

Man, now I'm back to thinking Radiohead is just a hack band. There are only two tracks on the album that are decent. Both made it to the radio "High and Dry" and "Fake Plastic Trees". I swear the rest of the album is shiite! The title track "The Bends" is a typical meandering Radiohead song without decent structure or hooks. Just lousy songwriting. God, what I sucker I am! There's nothing I hate worse that buying an album that only contains one or two good songs. That's like the oldest recording industry trick in the book. Slap one decent hit song on an otherwise mediocre album to get the teens to buy it!

So, once again I'm pissed at Radiohead. I swear they are a hack band who only get lucky with the odd tune. Think of the great groups like Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Stones, The Beatles and however many more who put out albums that either soared as a whole work of art, or at least were filled with a BUNCH of great songs. When you can only put out an album with 1 or 2 decent tracks, stick to playing the pubs!

Now I'm thinking the reason why it took so many listens to appreciate "OK Computer" and why it works is because the song writing is so mediocre throughout the album that it seems to have balance!

Radiohead, Grrrrrrr!
rolleyes.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 38
Maybe Radiohead isn't as good as "Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Stones, or The Beatles". I'd probably doubt anyone who said they were at this point. Like you, after hearing so much about The Bends, I gave it a listen and was disappointed. To U2ish for me (and there's a band I think has become over time really over-rated). But then again, it was before Radiohead's transformation, and I think there's little doubt they've grown into one of the most interesting bands on the pop/rock landscape today. We'll see where they go next. OK Computer and HTTT may not be an Exile or Let It Be, but compare it to the other 98%. Plus think of the previous decade's Radiohead, Pavement. I love that band, but they never had "the album".

Apr 16, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 38
Personally, it took me years to like OK Computer but now I love it. The Bends on the other hand, I feel is rather overrated. I like Street Spirit, Fake Plastic Trees, High And Dry, and Just. But then, some of the other songs are just ok songs.

Hold that thought.... more on this later, I gotta rush off to work...

Apr 16, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 38
I guess I'll give Pavement some time on stereo, Blessingx. Think I've got an album or two around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, overrated indeed. I mean, they have a big, lush, smart sound, but the music itself just feels so thin...
frown.gif

[size=medium]Holy Cow![/size]

If you haven't done it, you MUST click on BlessingX's "visions of Head-fi" link near his atavar. I just did for the first time! Great logo/design illustrations, BlessingX. Really beautiful work. I bow to your artistry!

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 38
Hah, well, that's what happens when you buy crap.

Maybe some of you people should start listening to decent music.

( I expect to be flamed for this comment but don't expect me to reply
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 38
IMo, The Bends is a classic. OK Computer is alright, but that's the one that's overrated to me. Kid A/Amnesiac are much better more fully realized albums than OK Computer which to me just sounds like what it is-- a transitional album. Have you listened to Kid A chadbang? Probably no chance of that now, but I thought I'd ask!
tongue.gif

Nothing wrong with not liking something of course. That's the thing with music-- we're all listening to the exact same thing yet there's a unique reaction for each listener. Rock on!

Apr 16, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 38
I've got one word for you, Chadbang: Coldplay. If you have a hard time digesting intellectual music, I really think you'll enjoy the musical fluff of Coldplay. It's Radiohead for high school kids with ADD.

I would say that Radiohead is "as good as" (if not better than) Zeppelin, Floyd, and the Rolling Stones (but perhaps not the Beatles). Those bands made some really excellent period music; at their best, Zeppelin were drawing from blues and Celtic music, the Stones (at their best) drew from R&B, and, after Floyd recorded "Wish You Were Here," they were basically drawing from themselves. Radiohead have created 3 brilliant albums with incredibly distinct moods and styles (The Bends, OKC, and Kid A).

If you don't like the sound, that's fine. But saying that Radiohead are hacks and that their songs have no structure just exposes how little you know about rock music. Go back to your "beautifully recorded" world music CD's and pay attention to how "breathy" the vocals sound, but please, spare yourself the embarassment in the future and don't try to talk about the actual music.

Apr 16, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by GuineaMcPig
I've got one word for you, Chadbang: Coldplay. If you have a hard time digesting intellectual music, I really think you'll enjoy the musical fluff of Coldplay. It's Radiohead for high school kids with ADD.

If you don't like the sound, that's fine. But saying that Radiohead are hacks and that their songs have no structure just exposes how little you know about rock music. Go back to your "beautifully recorded" world music CD's and pay attention to how "breathy" the vocals sound, but please, spare yourself the embarassment in the future and don't try to talk about the actual music.

LOL! I seriously hope this post was meant as a joke. typical Radiohead-fanatic reaction.

Chadbang man, if it helps any, your situation sounds totally familiar. but apparantly lots and lots of people totally dig this stuff, so whatever right?

Apr 16, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 38
With all due respect, GuineaMcPig, chadbang clearly has a very large music collection and knows a thing or two about music, rock or otherwise. This becomes clear if you've been reading his posts over time, he knows the score, really. I think he's earned the right to say that *in his opinion* the Bends emperor has no clothes without being subject to such a nasty personal attack (maybe you were joking?). I don't agree with him on this at all, but it's just an opinion and certainly in his case NOT indicative that he knows nothing about music! It *is* possible to genuinely dislike any music, any album, any artist without being labelled a "philistine".

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 38
While I disagree with chadbang, he has the right to his opinion. Guinea McPig, your post is not in the spirit of the music forum. Please do not flame people for their opinions. Same goes for Drum... Chadbang's dislike of radiohead may have nothing to do with his knowledge of music, just his appreciation of it. Frankly, I think many of the threads lately have been at odds with the spirit of the forum. Why bash on music or a genre? Just tell us what you like, the whole tone of the forum improves and we learn about music. If you don't like it, that's fine, keep it to yourself unless it is relevant for some other reason. I'm not going to enforce this or anything, it is not a rule, just something that has been bothering me here of late...

Apr 16, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
Now I'm thinking the reason why it took so many listens to appreciate "OK Computer" and why it works is because the song writing is so mediocre throughout the album that it seems to have balance!

I'll just copy what I wrote last time it came up: 04-08-2004

"File under the 'weird world of personal preference': OK Computer is my least favorite RH . And I'm listening to it now to refresh my memory. It's really brilliant but seems to have a forced/contrived feeling behind it, whereas K-A and HTTT feel more effortless, cohesive and assured. There are places where OKC, KA, and HTTT seem to overlap eachother and some songs could be swapped without being misplaced. I take this to be musical maturity even if the directions taken are not appreciated choices by most listeners.

Amnesiac is a collection of leftovers for me with the transcendent, beautiful 'Pyramid Song' standing well out. Replace 'Optimistic' with 'Pyramid Song' and Kid A is one step closer to being perfect.

Is HTTT, OK Computer with Kid A superimposed over it?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back