Only had my Sennheiser Hd-800's for 3 hours and wife is yelling at me:( help!- Need advice before I sell them
Aug 4, 2011 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jcaudio

New Head-Fier
Struggling trying to find perfect headphones. Owned the Audeze LCD-2's which I liked but did not like the weight. So I order a brand new pair of Sennheiser HD-800's which I got today, brought them home tonight to listen through my new Woo Audio W6 SE and was promptly told by my wife she can hear everything!! While I knew they were open I did not realize just how open they were.

What sucks is I love them but am now going to have to sell them on Audiogon.

I need some advice-

Are the Beyerdynamic T-1's better at leakage control?
I don't remember my Audeze leaking this much. Are they not considered open back?

Since most of my headphone listening will be in the bedroom I need something somewhat wife friendly. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Headphone system consists of:
Woo Audio W6-SE
PS Audio PerfectWave DAC with optional Bridge
Nordost Valhalla Interconnects
Iso- Isolation Transformer for digital power source
Supra Power Cords

Any suggestions before I hit the Gon would be appreciated.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 11
TBH, all full size headphones are going to leak somewhat (even closed ones). Have you considered trying IEMs? Specifically customs if you are willing to spend that amount of money.

I'm not sure how well something like the WA6SE does with some extremely low impedance/high sensitivity headphones but they'd definitely be your best bet for wife acceptance.

I think the Beyers will leak less as they are only really semi open in reality but it's still going to be considerable.

If you've not looked into custom IEMs before I'd suggest looking at the JH Audio JH13 first & taking it from there. You really can't go wrong with them.

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 11
Get rid of the wife. 

If that isn't a practical solution then ED 8 is your best bet.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks Guys. Sounds like I am either going to need  either the  Beyers or 2 pairs of phones, 1 closed 1 open. Already have IEM's but really looking for some cans. Shame!!

I did buy her some IEM's. She didn't like them in her ears.

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 11
Seems heavy leaking on HD800. Wife also complaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back