Online shopping for AKG K501
Jun 15, 2002 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

katsudon1

100+ Head-Fier
I wish to have a try AKG K501. Please kindly let me know where I can get them for the lowest cost. I remember in some threads, people have mentioned that they can be found online for USD88 or something and Music friends used to have them for USD110. Bear in mind that I reside in Hong Kong, so please recommend online stores that are willing to ship overseas. If someone has a used pair and would like to dispose, pls PM me. TIA
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 22
katsudon, MusiciansFriend.com used to have them for $119, and had some sales for <$90, but unfortunately they stopped carrying them (and even cancelled orders some of us had placed). HeadRoom carries them still, but I haven't seen them too many other places.

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 22
That's really strange. I just happened to check Musician's Friend's website yesterday morning, and they had the 501's listed again at $119 (on sale from $149!) and did not have the 401's at all. As of today, neither are listed! Hmmm. wonder what is up?

confused.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
That's really strange. I just happened to check Musician's Friend's website yesterday morning, and they had the 501's listed again at $119 (on sale from $149!) and did not have the 401's at all. As of today, neither are listed! Hmmm. wonder what is up?

confused.gif

Are you serious? I'm gonna be miffed if they're selling the K 501 again. When they cancelled my order they claimed it was because they "couldn't get any more."
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Are you serious?

Abso-freakin'-lootly, Mac. I almost posted a notice here at head-fi for those interested. But like I said, neither are listed as of right now. Good thing I didn't
confused.gif
!

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Abso-freakin'-lootly, Mac. I almost posted a notice here at head-fi for those interested. But like I said, neither are listed as of right now. Good thing I didn't
confused.gif
!

I sent them a friendly follow-up email asking them if they could "get them" now. My guess is they were losing money on the sale (they were selling them for $80!) so they took them off the site. Now that it's been a couple months, maybe they plan on putting them back up again.

I was a bit irritated at the time since they had verified my order twice via email (three times if you include the web receipt), then a week later claimed that they could no longer get them from AKG... even though a number of other Head-Fi'ers had their orders filled and they still sold the rest of the AKG line.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 22
If you want the K501 cheap, watch the Gear For Sale section. From time to time the AKG fanatics around here get pretty wordy and they're fairly convincing writers. So, inevitably a couple of HeadFiers go ahead and order them... regain their senses, and then sell them on the forum. Seems to be pattern enough to expect more to come around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

they were selling them for $80

Quote:

watch the Gear For Sale section...HeadFiers go ahead and order them...and then sell them on the forum. Seems to be pattern enough to expect more to come around.

Yeah, I was one of the lucky one's to get that "closeout" price. In fact, i was the one to post it here on head-fi. After a few weeks, though i sold them for what it paid to another head-fier. Now i am on team Sennheiser.

But keep checking MF's sight (heh, heh, I said "MF"!
wink.gif
) too. They may bring them back.

Jun 15, 2002 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 22
B4 I started this thread I had surfed MusiciansFriend.com for the K501 and it surely was listed there. I am expecting to receive my HD600 from Jan next week so I really feel the urge to get a K501 for a AB comparsion. um........ I nowhere is selling it at low cost, I just I might just have to wait for one pop up in the Gear for Sale corner. Anyways, thanks for the inputs.

Jun 15, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #10 of 22
If you do end up buying the 501s, you might seriously consider building the amp that I designed specifically for them.

It is well-known that the 501s roll off in the base starting at aroud 200-300Hz until they are around 5dB down at 20Hz. My amp design exactly counteracts this rolloff to give closer to flat response in the bass region.

It sounds very good, much improving the sound of the headphones.

I posted complete amp information a while back, it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Jun 15, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
If you want the K501 cheap, watch the Gear For Sale section. From time to time the AKG fanatics around here get pretty wordy and they're fairly convincing writers. So, inevitably a couple of HeadFiers go ahead and order them... regain their senses, and then sell them on the forum. Seems to be pattern enough to expect more to come around.
smily_headphones1.gif

hey! It's a nice-enough can for the price!! ESP for $80! Sure it rolls off the bass but still, its a GREAT headphone. One could (and has) complain(ed) that the HD600s emphasize the bass.

If one could find the 501s around the $100 mark I woiuld highly recommend buying them.

Jun 16, 2002 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by tophu
It is well-known that the 501s roll off in the base starting at aroud 200-300Hz until they are around 5dB down at 20Hz.

I'd be careful about saying that around here
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 11:24 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

One of the lowest-priced places that actually has the K501's in stock is Meier Audio at $160 USD shipped.

That sounds kind of high to me.

BTW, Musician's Friend has the 401's listed again, for $99, as before. Still no 501's though.

Jun 17, 2002 at 11:49 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

I'd be careful about saying that around here
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oh no MacDEF!! Now you, once again, single handedly started a HD600/K501 Battle!!
redface.gif
redface.gif
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back