Online Seminars
Mar 9, 2006 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
How many here use them ?

I get gobs of online seminar invitations and actually do watch a lot of them but find them to be very uneven in the "usable content" department.
At times I find I have wasted an hour watching a running advertisment while other times walk away knowing I learned a new thing or a new way and that is why I bother at all.
No one knows a product like the manufacturer of that product but it is the people that know the real world applications side of things that make the multitude of offerings more easily digested and what is better than a virtual classroom ?

a good example is-

http://www.analog.com/en/content/0%2...4185%2C00.html

***did one recently on battery management that had real time questions and answer sessions after eack "block" and that made it even more interesting because the applications engineers that actually design gear were asking the "how do i..." or "what if...." type questions.Pretty cool
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 6
I've (attended?) a few work-related ones. "Webinars"... the word makes me embarrassed to work in the tech field.

I'd agree that you can glean some good info, but most of those I've seen always seem to have a bit of slant on them. It is a good way to reach out to people, especially if they are way in the middle of nowhere. I'm an hour from Boston, but I have dealt with some customers who are deep in the sticks. It's got to be especially good in that situation.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

I'm an hour from Boston, but I have dealt with some customers who are deep in the sticks. It's got to be especially good in that situation.

I pretty much can reach NY or boston without a problem and deep in the sticks is not my style anyway so this more of a " I tavelled to this thing and it sucked !" avoidance on my part.

One thing though.After a while you get to know certain companies or personalities for how useable the content is typically and with time avoid the self serving or propaganda type seminars and only check out the meaty ones..

BTW-The ADI analog and DSP web casts rule but I totally gave up on the RoHs complaince gigs.All propaganda and "be happy all is well " type content that has zero to do with fact
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 6
I use them from time to time. I do like the Analog Devices seminars a lot - most of them have been pretty useful. There was a high-speed PWB layout seminar a few weeks ago that was pretty good, and their analog seminars typically are well done. I tend to use ones that are related to whatever I'm working on at the moment.

I missed the battery management one - that would have been useful, since battery life is a huge issue in what I do.

(I agree with Voodoochile that "Webinar" is an abomination. Who thinks up these things, anyway?)

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

I missed the battery management one - that would have been useful, since battery life is a huge issue in what I do.

Can't remember if it was Portable Equipment Magazine or Power Management Magazine that sponsored it but I will see if I can dig out the archived link.

This particular web cast was not a video but mostly audio with pictures to illustrate the point being made.Very bandwidth freindly which I like even though i have a high speed connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back