Onkyo TX-SR605 and HD-6XX
Jul 4, 2020 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

norkuy

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

My dad has an Onkyo TX-SR605 that he gave me. From what I've read, it's an entry-level decent receiver from around 2007ish and was wondering if it could drive the Massdrop X Sennheiser HD-6XX headphones. I've had these headphones for a while and never really had a chance to listen to them. Not a huge audiophile or anything but just looking to get more enjoyment out of my music. I think the receiver is 8 ohm but I think receiver and headphone ohms might work a different way?

Thanks

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 7
Not 100% sure, but most probably it will drive the HD-6XXs just fine. My HD650s play fine with my iPhone. True, I have to set the volume to max, but the sound isn't horrible by any means, what most audiophiles would like you to believe. Now, the headphones out (OP amp) of an integrated amp many times is more powerful than the headphones out of a smart phone.
My Marantz integrated amp (and both my Marantz CD players) really have good outputs, they can drive all my headphones without problems, and do not compromise the sound in any way.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Not 100% sure, but most probably it will drive the HD-6XXs just fine. My HD650s play fine with my iPhone. True, I have to set the volume to max, but the sound isn't horrible by any means, what most audiophiles would like you to believe. Now, the headphones out (OP amp) of an integrated amp many times is more powerful than the headphones out of a smart phone.
My Marantz integrated amp (and both my Marantz CD players) really have good outputs, they can drive all my headphones without problems, and do not compromise the sound in any way.

Thanks for your help. Any idea how I could plug the receiver into a MacBook pro? I was reading to use an optical audio connector that goes into the audio jack but again, far from an expert in this stuff.

Jul 4, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Jul 4, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 7
Could anyone please confirm what I just posted in response to norkuy's question about the connection between a Macbook Pro and an AV receiver? That certainly would help him to make a confident buy or order.

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 7
Could anyone please confirm what I just posted in response to norkuy's question about the connection between a Macbook Pro and an AV receiver? That certainly would help him to make a confident buy or order.

actually think Apple discontinued optical audio through the audio jack and need to connect to something else

Jul 5, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Anyone have any advice or help on the best way to connect these? I bought a cheap RCA cable and it sounds ok. There's a little bit of static I hear when there's nothing playing. I'm willing to spend more if it improves the sound. I also have a Darkvoice 336 and wanted to buy a Modi 3 DAC so if there are components that I could share between the AV receiver and the Darkvoice, that'd be great. Really appreciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back