Onkyo SE200PCI-LTD or Asus Xonar Essence ST?
Feb 24, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #121 of 135
Thanks for the input guys!
I must admit, the more it plays, the better it sounds. It is amazing as well how I can tell how the actual recording quality of the CDs I play is more apparent than ever with this card.
I have been experimenting with the output format of Foobar, 16, 24, and 32. Thus far it seems 32-bit muddies the sound, but I can't seem to tell the difference with 16 vs 24. I read that it is important to keep the output depth matched to the DAC capability. Regardless, I will continue to do experiment with 16 vs 24. AFAIK, Foobar does all volume processing in 64bit and downconverts, so I'm assuming that 24-bit could offer a more accurate representation after the Foobar processing.
I'm glad I got it up and running, but don't have time to play with it much since I just got evicted (only slightly music-related) and lost my job, lol. On to new things!
At any rate, I appreciate all the positive feedback on this thread. I promise I will post some pics of my rig someday when I get my hands on a camera (camera phone sucks.)
-noob

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #122 of 135
Thanks for that !

So perhaps add an Alps 20k or 50k volume control to the output and you have a volume control much the same as a regular pre-amp ? Heck, you could even get a cable with one of those in-line headphone volume controls to do the job....

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #123 of 135
Sorry to hear that - hope you bounce back to better than before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by headfinoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input guys!
I must admit, the more it plays, the better it sounds. It is amazing as well how I can tell how the actual recording quality of the CDs I play is more apparent than ever with this card.
I have been experimenting with the output format of Foobar, 16, 24, and 32. Thus far it seems 32-bit muddies the sound, but I can't seem to tell the difference with 16 vs 24. I read that it is important to keep the output depth matched to the DAC capability. Regardless, I will continue to do experiment with 16 vs 24. AFAIK, Foobar does all volume processing in 64bit and downconverts, so I'm assuming that 24-bit could offer a more accurate representation after the Foobar processing.
I'm glad I got it up and running, but don't have time to play with it much since I just got evicted (only slightly music-related) and lost my job, lol. On to new things!
At any rate, I appreciate all the positive feedback on this thread. I promise I will post some pics of my rig someday when I get my hands on a camera (camera phone sucks.)
-noob

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #124 of 135
Hi Guys!

I want to buy a decent sound card for my music server. I got external DAC too, but I need input for mic and line-in to do some measurements. Anyway, I consider 5 sound cards right now:
- Onkyo SE200PCI-LTD
- Cantatis Overture (unfortunately no inputs ;/ )
- E-MU 1212M
- ESI JULI@
- Asus Xonar ST

Onkyo looks the best, hope the sound is great too and maybe beats my Beresford 7510 MK6/3.

My PC is based on Asus M4A78T-E motherboard, 2x2GB Goodram DDR3 PRO (2000MHz), Phenom X3 720 BE and Intel G2 SSD. Music is on external drives via eSATA (separate power). Oh, the PSU is Antec CP-850 - here are noise and riple measurements. It's a killer - Antec CP-850 850W Review

Anyway, the PC is passive - no fans running. It's underclocked to 1.2GHz and undervolted to 0.825V. I disabled unnecessary components like LAN, onboard audio, usb (I use PCI-to -USB controler), etc...

Are there any better options for a sound card available or Onkyo is the best?

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #125 of 135
I have only listened to the Onkyo and Asus. It looks like you've gone all out on your rig so it seems to me you'll want to toy with the sound card a little ? If you're happy just to swap op amps then get the ST. If you don't like it, maybe you can return it ? If you don't care about warranty and have some soldering skills, then maybe the Onkyo is better for you.

If emi etc might be an issue, get the ST. It seems to have better noise isolation than the Onkyo in my listening tests.

If you don't want to do anything to the card then the Onkyo is best right from the box.

Either is a fine choice imo, but read around about the other cards too. We're spoilt for choice !

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #127 of 135
Yeah, almost too many right ? I guess the market for high quality sound cards must be pretty huge these days. Maybe one day soon we'll get something truly no compromise audiophile....a completely enclosed, independently powered, ASRC, fully balanced dual mono DAC with class-a head amp....

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #128 of 135
Currently, I'm using the rig in my signature, pretty meager right? I'm new. So I wonder if the line out of the Onkyo is enough to drive the Sennheiser HD595 which I will soon have. Like I asked in this thread, if I get the Onkyo it will be awhile that I'll be able to get a dedicated amp (likely the Edge as it's easy for me to get this only here). Or should I wait for a friend of mine in Korea to get me this Carat-Ruby MkII or any of the combi I mentioned in the other thread?

Sorry, to hijack this, but the more I read stuffs here, the more confusing it gets >_<.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #129 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, almost too many right ? I guess the market for high quality sound cards must be pretty huge these days. Maybe one day soon we'll get something truly no compromise audiophile....a completely enclosed, independently powered, fully balanced dual mono DAC with class-a head amp....

Well, since Auzentech and ASUS joined in the cards have started getting better and better every generation. The competition is what fuels development. A few years back all you could find was basically gaming cards and they left alot to be desired in the designs.
I think we may be closer to such cards then you think.
wink.gif

I think one of my buddies has a Onkyo card that he is not using, I might pick it up for a modding project.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #130 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by thuantran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently, I'm using the rig in my signature, pretty meager right? I'm new. So I wonder if the line out of the Onkyo is enough to drive the Sennheiser HD595 which I will soon have. Like I asked in this thread, if I get the Onkyo it will be awhile that I'll be able to get a dedicated amp (likely the Edge as it's easy for me to get this only here). Or should I wait for a friend of mine in Korea to get me this Carat-Ruby MkII or any of the combi I mentioned in the other thread?

Sorry, to hijack this, but the more I read stuffs here, the more confusing it gets >_<.

IIRC, based on impedance, the HD595's do not require a headphones amplifer. Some people use these headphones with an amplifer for various reasons however, line level should provide enough power for those cans.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #131 of 135
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have only listened to the Onkyo and Asus. It looks like you've gone all out on your rig so it seems to me you'll want to toy with the sound card a little ? If you're happy just to swap op amps then get the ST. If you don't like it, maybe you can return it ? If you don't care about warranty and have some soldering skills, then maybe the Onkyo is better for you.

If emi etc might be an issue, get the ST. It seems to have better noise isolation than the Onkyo in my listening tests.

If you don't want to do anything to the card then the Onkyo is best right from the box.

Either is a fine choice imo, but read around about the other cards too. We're spoilt for choice !

I am almost sure to get Onkyo. My only concern is that it uses VLSC that which supposedly degrades SQ (?)
TECHNOLOGY | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website

I also think about modding the sound card. Here is interesting and easy mod:
SE-200PCI_closeup.jpg

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #133 of 135
VLSC is a feedback circuit, and requires 10 op amp channels in use instead of the normal 6. I don't think it degrades the sound unless the op amps are junk or the caps and res in the circuit are nasty. All op amp circuits use feedback.

I've done something similar to this and I wouldn't say it was easy. Getting some of the op amp pins ( pins 4 and 8 ) out was a pig. Oscon coupling caps ? Odd choice.

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #134 of 135
This is a picture of SE-200PCI (not limited version).

thoppa, what op-amps would you recommend? :>
I had OPA2604 in my PCM2702E DAC few years ago. I pretty much liked it, but it was too warm and clumsy. I replaced OPA2604 with AD8066 and it was quite an improvement.

Greets,
Marcin

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #135 of 135
Hi,

I think op amps are very much a personal choice. You can try changing the last two to see which you like because these have the most effect. My favourites are AD8599, AD8620, LME49720HA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back