Onkyo DP-X1a balanced output and 3rd party cable
Nov 20, 2017 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DAP lover 123

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I'm new to Head-Fi, but excited to be here. I have a pretty nice home audio system, but just getting into portable audio. I've been using my Google Nexus phone and Bose earbuds for when I travel for work (a lot), but wanted more. After researching, I settled on the Onkyo DP-X1a and that is working very well for me. I have a lot of hi-res music and also use Tidal a lot. WOW, what a difference from my phone!!!

After trying the Dunu 2000J, Etomotic ER4xr, RHA T20, I settled on the Shure SE535 IEM. I love the sound coming from these. Again, what a HUGE difference from the Bose!!!

So mow I'm focused on cables (don't tell my wife!). The stock cable from Shure is not balanced, but the Onkyo has a 2.5mm balanced output. It also has twin DACs and AMPs that I'm not sure if I'm benefiting from by using the unbalanced output.

Do you think I'd benefit from a balanced custom cable? I'm looking at the Plus Sound Audio Exo series (20% sale begins November 23)?

Does the balanced output use both DACs and AMPs, or does the unbalanced output also use these?

If the unbalanced output uses the full capabilities of the DP-X1a like the balanced does, is there a reason to step up the cable?

I really appreciate your help with this. Being new to IEMs and DAPs, I want to make sure I make the right decisions. So far I'm very happy with the SE535s and Onkyp DAP.

Thanks so much!
Steve

Nov 20, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 4
If you have the money to spend, no reason not to go balanced. Just don't expect a very big improvement. It's usually subtle if power isn't an issue. How much is the cable?

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 4
The cable is about $200. Not bad relative to cost of the DAP and IEM. Just don't want to do it if the unbalanced output uses both DACs and Amps.

Does anyone know it that's true?
It wouldn't make sense for Single Ended (unbalanced) to use both. Balanced design usually processes and amps both channels independently. If it has 2 amp and DAC sections, they're for balanced only

Users who are viewing this thread

Back