ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Oct 16, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #16,217 of 16,326
I am thinking of getting the Valentinum case with the front flap but how does that flap work when say I need the screen to watch videos on the DP-X1A?

R0017423.JPG

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #16,219 of 16,326
Thank you, can this flap then be bent such that it is at the back of this case/DP-X1A? Or would the flap-less version of the case be better for my usage?

• No it cannot but as you can see in the photo the flap can be positioned so that it is out of the way. I specifically wanted the large beautiful screen to be protected so I wanted a flap. You could ask Valentinum if he can make one with bends in the flap that would do what you are describing.

Oct 18, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #16,220 of 16,326
  • No it cannot but as you can see in the photo the flap can be positioned so that it is out of the way. I specifically wanted the large beautiful screen to be protected so I wanted a flap. You could ask Valentinum if he can make one with bends in the flap that would do what you are describing.

Thanks for confirming, I'll see how since it may be easier for me to get the flap-less version instead (I am still using the official screen protector to protect the screen)

Oct 27, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #16,221 of 16,326
I haven't been able to use my DP-X1 for about a year now - since the battery wasn't holding a charge, and the firmware needed to be reloaded.
On Sunday afternoon, I connected a charger.
On Monday, I noticed that the DAP was warm - so I pulled it out of the case.
The battery had swelled and lifted the display.
Now, I'm going to order a replacement battery, from one of those links a page or two back in this thread, and see if I can get the DP-X1 to run long enough to reload / fix the firmware.

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #16,222 of 16,326
Hi guys, I have a question about the default Onkyo music player app. I listen to my music by album, sorted in alphabetical order. However, some albums only have 1 or 2 songs. After the album finishes, I need to go to the player and select the next album. Is there any way to make it automatic, so that the player will just move on to the next album and play?

Nov 30, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #16,223 of 16,326
DP-X1A battery arrived. They sent a full repair kit, including replacement double side tape for the new battery.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001355826377.html

DP-X1A battery arrived. They sent a full repair kit, including replacement double side tape for the new battery.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001355826377.html

That's why everyone was telling you to post a picture of your battery BEFORE you mailed in your player, just to make sure your battery was the same as others who have already replaced it.

Onkyo does not make batteries, they buy them from other companies, like TCL.

Even if Onkyo does not stock the batteries anymore, TCL still makes them and they are $20 (1ICP4/53/67 3.8v 1630mah) .

It's used in a bunch of different cell phones, along with many Pioneer and Onkyo DAPs.

asdf-1.jpg
Hi Vid1900
I have to change my battery I think, device is crashing on time a week... Could you explain how to procced to remove the screen please ?
Is it required to heat it slightly soften the glue

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #16,224 of 16,326
I haven't been able to use my DP-X1 for about a year now - since the battery wasn't holding a charge, and the firmware needed to be reloaded.
On Sunday afternoon, I connected a charger.
On Monday, I noticed that the DAP was warm - so I pulled it out of the case.
The battery had swelled and lifted the display.
Now, I'm going to order a replacement battery, from one of those links a page or two back in this thread, and see if I can get the DP-X1 to run long enough to reload / fix the firmware.

During the 11.11 AliExpress Sale, I ordered one of these 2300mAh Li-Ion replacement batteries - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001355826377.html
This afternoon, I finally got around to installing it in my DP-X1.
It fits perfectly, and has the same wiring & connector as the stock battery.
It's charging now - up to ~50%, so far.
EDIT 1: Did a Google Search for replacing supersu with magisk - and was able to download and "install" the un-su.zip and Magisk-v20.4_2.zip files in TWRP. Now, I'm working on getting XPosed Framework installed and running.

EDIT 2 - NOTE: For those who did the same as me, and put some glue in the case gaps around the 3.5mm & 2.5mm jacks, to brace them so they'd be less likely to come loose from the circuit board - it does make it more difficult to remove the audio board, so that the battery (which is underneath it) can be replaced. :wink: I had used a gel-type superglue, which wasn't very hard to pop loose from the metal jacks & metal case. Hope you didn't use a permanent epoxy. :scream:

EDIT 3 - Update: Got everything working with Magisk providing root on my DP-X1, and I'd forgotten how good this DAP sounds. Really glad I repaired it.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #16,226 of 16,326
EDIT 3 - Update: Got everything working with Magisk providing root on my DP-X1, and I'd forgotten how good this DAP sounds. Really glad I repaired it.

How would you compare DP-X1’s sound quality with the other DAPs you have or have heard? I remember we bought DP-X1 around the same time...

Apr 20, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #16,227 of 16,326
How would you compare DP-X1’s sound quality with the other DAPs you have or have heard? I remember we bought DP-X1 around the same time...

All of my other Balanced output DAPs are around 1/2 the cost of the DP-X1 - and, while they sound good, the DP-X1 sounds better. It isn't quite as "warm" as the Walnut & Zishan devices, but it does have a more open sound stage.

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #16,228 of 16,326
After 5 years it still gives great satisfactions ... now the Monarch iem are connected to it, that if they had come out when it came out he would have cost 5000 euros... in ACG it makes them shine ... happy to have bought it. Too bad that Onkyo has decided not to produce other DAPs. The grandfather still defends himself very well. :darthsmile:

Jun 23, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #16,229 of 16,326
During the 11.11 AliExpress Sale, I ordered one of these 2300mAh Li-Ion replacement batteries - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001355826377.html
This afternoon, I finally got around to installing it in my DP-X1.
It fits perfectly, and has the same wiring & connector as the stock battery.
It's charging now - up to ~50%, so far.
EDIT 1: Did a Google Search for replacing supersu with magisk - and was able to download and "install" the un-su.zip and Magisk-v20.4_2.zip files in TWRP. Now, I'm working on getting XPosed Framework installed and running.

EDIT 2 - NOTE: For those who did the same as me, and put some glue in the case gaps around the 3.5mm & 2.5mm jacks, to brace them so they'd be less likely to come loose from the circuit board - it does make it more difficult to remove the audio board, so that the battery (which is underneath it) can be replaced. :wink: I had used a gel-type superglue, which wasn't very hard to pop loose from the metal jacks & metal case. Hope you didn't use a permanent epoxy. :scream:

Just found out recently that all you need is just the Magisk app from GitHub (official), patch the boot.img file kindly provided by XVortex here (from the stock firmware zip) and you're good to go. It's so simple.

Hi all!
Some cool stuff for Onkyo DP-X1 from me:

1) link to the most recent stock firmware (0.1.37.8_20161104.013642)
https://android.googleapis.com/pack.../1295292967f8c11f806630c670f0d2b3e0189588.zip

2) links to the most recent versions of Onkyo and Pioneer player in .apk:
https://mega.nz/#!J0VxlAQD!BsEfkV0MttQcnWimt7o2az4wQyyumzqe3udJfR4KRZY
https://mega.nz/#!kkNEHL5C!Y3I8P0MvQSxvQUvVGjjobqfNG8fIv5oxvCg2lIePK9Y

3) link to the my CUSTOM DP-X1_0.1.37.8_VTX_Lite firmware for DP-X1 (speed optimized, debloated, pre-rooted)
https://mega.nz/#!BoUTmJ5Z!n2k5ArOa7sUzUVfmDUHCrmTjCVC8bvL_3Dpoe_Pit4o
(To install you will need my custom TWRP recovery, which can be downloaded here).

4) Also with the most recent version of V4A (2.5.0.5):
https://mega.nz/#!w1cDRCBb!oydWeFF_jMkWOPgvHs3u40JzW1nK6UUrcVtBpSapj2I

merry christmas and HNY.
Enjoy.

Thank you. Really amazing work here. I haven't used my DP-X1 for years since I got it back in 2016 since the 3.5mm loose jack annoys the hell out of me. I'm using your custom ROM right now. Hopefully the battery lasts a lot longer now. What DP-X1 taught me is: an Android-powered DAP is bound to fail due to the power usage Android requires. For music listening, using an Android is completely overkill.

Anyone here ever thought of replacing the Google libraries completely with microG? Maybe that can help with battery too?

Jul 20, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #16,230 of 16,326
I'm thinking about getting the DP-X1A - mainly because there's an idolm@ster collab model. Is the battery really that bad on this thing? It's used FWIW, should I also consider getting a spare battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back