ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 15, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #15,406 of 16,326
Hello DP-X1 users,
what headphones are you using with balanced output? I use Onkyo CTI300, but with regular phone output. I heard a lot about sound improvement with balanced output and I would like to try it :)
Please, advise.

Feb 15, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #15,408 of 16,326
Hello DP-X1 users,
what headphones are you using with balanced output? I use Onkyo CTI300, but with regular phone output. I heard a lot about sound improvement with balanced output and I would like to try it :)
Please, advise.
Difficult to advise because the sound/signature of headphones depends also on the preferences of the user.
I have the Dunu DK-3301 in-ear headphones and I absolutely love them But others will not like them because they have a very natural sound. People who like a more warm sound will not go for the Dunu DK-3001.
Also for example: bass. Some people want to have a more heavy bass sound/signature. With my DK-3001 the bass is certainly there but it is not heavy. I do feel them more then that it is audible (if that makes any sense :) )
About the balanced output ... there is a difference but it is very little. With my IEM's I only notice it a tiny bit in the high tones, they are a tiny bit more "clear".
So, if you want a clear, natural sound, the combination of Onky DP-X1 and the Dune DK-3001 is a great combination because they both are natural sounding.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #15,410 of 16,326
So, if you want a clear, natural sound, the combination of Onky DP-X1 and the Dune DK-3001 is a great combination because they both are natural sounding.

Thank you! You opened DUNU 3001 for me -- I had heard about DUNU, but counted they are not mature to create something really worth to look at. Hm, this is a good reason to go to a sound shop for listening!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #15,411 of 16,326
Hello DP-X1 users,
Please, advise.
Try AKG N40 if you like Vshape signature. Sounds pretty great. But i still think something is missing.. Maybe lack of sub bass.. :-?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #15,412 of 16,326
Hello again.

Well I bought my Dpx1 for a week ago and the sound was very clear, good seperation and spacious. And I tought it is going to get even better with burn in.
Two days ago I stopped being carefull and let the device run nonstop. Today (its been playing for 35h with no paus) I tought I give it a try and listen to see if theres been a change. And omg, the sound is really really really bad. Seperation, clarity and that black background is totally gone. All voices sound like you are listening to cheap broken earbuds. Bass has zero control and is all over the place.
Im panicing!
Have I ruined it by let it run for 35h in a straight? A defect device? What to do?

Any help would be appreciated!

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #15,413 of 16,326
Hello again.

Well I bought my Dpx1 for a week ago and the sound was very clear, good seperation and spacious. And I tought it is going to get even better with burn in.
Two days ago I stopped being carefull and let the device run nonstop. Today (its been playing for 35h with no paus) I tought I give it a try and listen to see if theres been a change. And omg, the sound is really really really bad. Seperation, clarity and that black background is totally gone. All voices sound like you are listening to cheap broken earbuds. Bass has zero control and is all over the place.
Im panicing!
Have I ruined it by let it run for 35h in a straight? A defect device? What to do?

Any help would be appreciated!
Did you left it attached to a power supply? Cause 35 hours playtime on itself is not possible. Most you will get in 1 run is around 16 hours but 12 to 14 hours more likely.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #15,414 of 16,326
Thank you! You opened DUNU 3001 for me -- I had heard about DUNU, but counted they are not mature to create something really worth to look at. Hm, this is a good reason to go to a sound shop for listening!
Ah no, Dunu does make some really good stuff. All the reviews of the DK-3001 are really positive, has a great value for money and I only can acknowledge that. Having said that: the sound is excellent but the comfort can be an issue. They have a weird way of putting in (the bud has to go straight in the air-canal and not in an angle like with other buds) and the feel on your ear can be irritating. I myself had just some small issues with it, I got used to it rather soon.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #15,417 of 16,326
Then it has not played cause that 35 hours of play is not possible.
Do you have other earphones to test with? Just to make sure your headphones are not the guilty party?

It ran for 9h then I charged it to 100% and then I did the same thing like 4 times. So its been running for 35h with no stop.

Yes I have. With two other earphones. I have turned it off right now.

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #15,418 of 16,326
Anyone know if I can use a micro usb out to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter with the Onkyo, I was wondering by doing this would it disable the amp and DAC section? I was going to use mine with a headphone Amp to drive 300ohm cans, I just didn't know if there might be a better way than just the 3.5mm to RCA way. Cheers!

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #15,419 of 16,326
I just picked up a set of Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphone (250ohms) I'm looking to use the with an Onkyo DPX1A portable Hi-Res player and need a headphone amp, Unfortunately I don't have much budget to start with, I was looking at the Schiit Magni 3 http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3
or the Schiit Vali 2 http://www.schiit.com/products/vali-2
The Magni has more power and is solid state, the Vali has a bit less power and has a tube (pre) and solid state amp, being I'm not able to demo these, what do you recommend?
I was leaning towards the Magni, I just can't see a single tube pre add any extra warmth to the sound.

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #15,420 of 16,326
Anyone know if I can use a micro usb out to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter with the Onkyo, I was wondering by doing this would it disable the amp and DAC section? I was going to use mine with a headphone Amp to drive 300ohm cans, I just didn't know if there might be a better way than just the 3.5mm to RCA way. Cheers!
You can go USB out to another source like an amp and it will use the Onkyo DAC but if it has its own DAC it may bypass the onkyo AMP and DAC. What are you going to use as an AMP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back