ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 9, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #11,251 of 16,326
against my better judgement, I'm tempted to pick up one of these, had a great time with Onkyo's E700M IEMs, and its making me think I might just like the combination of IEMs and player from the same company...

Stop me please :)

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #11,252 of 16,326
against my better judgement, I'm tempted to pick up one of these, had a great time with Onkyo's E700M IEMs, and its making me think I might just like the combination of IEMs and player from the same company...

Stop me please :)

Hand me your wallet and pay checks, I will stop you. A better idea is to hand it to your wife, if u don't already have one, do it tomorrow :D

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #11,253 of 16,326

Stop me please
smily_headphones1.gif

Why should we lol. I am sure you would love it.

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #11,254 of 16,326
Hi, I have very much enjoyed this thread, but please forgive me if my questions have already been answered here but I started at page 1 and have so far only managed to get to 190. This is my first post to this forum so please let me introduce myself. I have many years of vinyl & CD playback experience. I have got back into headphones and have an Esoteric CD player feeding a Stax SRM-007tII headphone amp and the Stax SR-507. My portable music life is very new though and started when Amazon sent me an email reminding me that I could download free digital files because of the CDs I had purchased from them over the years. The sound on my Samsung with these files did not make my ears happy, so as has happened to me before I developed an itch and subscribed to Tidal Hi-Fi Quality and bought some equipment culminating in a Chord Mojo connected to my Galaxy 6 Edge+ with a Silver Dragon OTG cable, and with listening done through Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro phones using (I think) some Oyaide cable. One week ago a friend with some industry connections offered me a DP-X1 at an irresistible price. I gave him a travel guitar and some cash and here I am. I love not having my phone stacked. I love the ergonomics of the DP-X1. And I am looking for a quality boost when Tidal hopefully embraces MQA. I spend a reasonable amount of time every day on the go and love to have good music. I am an over-the-head guy and am not a fan of in-ears.

The DP-X1 & DT 1770 combination does not have the drive and dynamics of the Mojo for my taste. This is no criticism of the DP-X1 but it makes me want to get more out of the DP-X1. From the first 190 pages I am guessing that the relative inefficiency of the DT 1770 is not helping and that I could get better dynamics from a balanced connection.  What do you guys think?

If balanced headphones are the way to go, the AKG K872 look very promising. There is no stock in Hong Kong where I live so I cannot listen to them and if I wanted these phones I would have to get them from the States. Some describe them as balanced but are they really?  Would they plug directly into the balanced input of the DP-X1? Or could they with the right cable?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #11,255 of 16,326
  Hi, I have very much enjoyed this thread, but please forgive me if my questions have already been answered here but I started at page 1 and have so far only managed to get to 190. This is my first post to this forum so please let me introduce myself. I have many years of vinyl & CD playback experience. I have got back into headphones and have an Esoteric CD player feeding a Stax SRM-007tII headphone amp and the Stax SR-507. My portable music life is very new though and started when Amazon sent me an email reminding me that I could download free digital files because of the CDs I had purchased from them over the years. The sound on my Samsung with these files did not make my ears happy, so as has happened to me before I developed an itch and subscribed to Tidal Hi-Fi Quality and bought some equipment culminating in a Chord Mojo connected to my Galaxy 6 Edge+ with a Silver Dragon OTG cable, and with listening done through Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro phones using (I think) some Oyaide cable. One week ago a friend with some industry connections offered me a DP-X1 at an irresistible price. I gave him a travel guitar and some cash and here I am. I love not having my phone stacked. I love the ergonomics of the DP-X1. And I am looking for a quality boost when Tidal hopefully embraces MQA. I spend a reasonable amount of time every day on the go and love to have good music. I am an over-the-head guy and am not a fan of in-ears.

The DP-X1 & DT 1770 combination does not have the drive and dynamics of the Mojo for my taste. This is no criticism of the DP-X1 but it makes me want to get more out of the DP-X1. From the first 190 pages I am guessing that the relative inefficiency of the DT 1770 is not helping and that I could get better dynamics from a balanced connection.  What do you guys think?

If balanced headphones are the way to go, the AKG K872 look very promising. There is no stock in Hong Kong where I live so I cannot listen to them and if I wanted these phones I would have to get them from the States. Some describe them as balanced but are they really?  Would they plug directly into the balanced input of the DP-X1? Or could they with the right cable?

Thanks in advance.

The term balanced used for headphones is not the same thing as a balanced cable. The term for headphones refers to the sound and tone and how well each frequency interacts with each other. A balanced cable that you would need to plug into the balanced out on the dp-x1 is a 2.5mm 4 section trrs connector. What this does is gives the left and right channel its own positive and negative wires. This allows more power to be provided with less interference and noise. If i am wrong or missing something someone more knowing can chime in.

Your headphones would need to be rewired for a balanced cable.

Sep 10, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #11,256 of 16,326
  The term balanced used for headphones is not the same thing as a balanced cable. The term for headphones refers to the sound and tone and how well each frequency interacts with each other. A balanced cable that you would need to plug into the balanced out on the dp-x1 is a 2.5mm 4 section trrs connector. What this does is gives the left and right channel its own positive and negative wires. This allows more power to be provided with less interference and noise. If i am wrong or missing something someone more knowing can chime in.

Your headphones would need to be rewired for a balanced cable.

Thanks. In my original post when I wrote "balanced" I was referring to wiring and not tonal balance. I understand that using balanced cables with balanced headphones allows you to take advantage of the DP-X1's ability to drive each channel with a separate chip.I am wanting to know people's opinion as to whether this is going to give me the sound uplift I am looking for (better dynamics) compared to the single-ended headphones I am currently using and whether the AKG K872 is ready to go for using balanced cabling, which the the DT 1770 is not.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #11,257 of 16,326

Thanks. In my original post when I wrote "balanced" I was referring to wiring and not tonal balance. I understand that using balanced cables with balanced headphones allows you to take advantage of the DP-X1's ability to drive each channel with a separate chip.I am wanting to know people's opinion as to whether this is going to give me the sound uplift I am looking for (better dynamics) compared to the single-ended headphones I am currently using and whether the AKG K872 is ready to go for using balanced cabling, which the the DT 1770 is not.

Gotcha. I have yet to try a balanced set, so hopefully someone else will jump in.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #11,258 of 16,326
Hi guys
I am trying to use the DAP with centrance m8. I set it to line out and I am using 3.5mm to 3.5mm but something is not working. I am assuming I need an OTG cable? if so, could someone recommend me one? 

thank you

Sep 10, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #11,259 of 16,326
  Hi guys
I am trying to use the DAP with centrance m8. I set it to line out and I am using 3.5mm to 3.5mm but something is not working. I am assuming I need an OTG cable? if so, could someone recommend me one? 

thank you

Line out is for the 3.5mm out not the usb. You need an otg for usb.

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #11,261 of 16,326

Here is my opinion. I dont think adding an amp will really improve the sound with the weston w60. I think only adding something like the mojo would and then having the dp-x1 is kinda pointless as it just becomes a transport and thats if the mojo would actually improve the sound. I have not heard the mojo myself, so can not comment on that. If you dont have balanced cables for you w60 yet pick up one either from westone or an aftermarket one and go from there.

nice, thanks.
dp-x1 interested as transport since it does have some interesting stuff for me as dap like two microSD slots and 5ghz wireless. i am easily fit inside 2x200GB microSD what other DAPs mostly can not (just look at that nw-zx2 or fiio x7). so... mojo might be a good addition. anyway i am searching where to buy locally balanced cable for westone (Hanoi, Vietnam)... no luck :frowning2:

Westone has first party balanced cable. Your dealer might be able to source it for you.
https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/accessories/cables/ultra-thin-balanced-cable-1.html

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #11,262 of 16,326

Thanks in advance.

I tried many headphones with do-x1, but the DT series like DT 770 pro /880 do not impress me. Some of my suggestions HA-SS01, AK T1p, K712, K545, ath-msr7, he400s, sr80e. I currently use momentum on-ear m2 with my dp-x1.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #11,263 of 16,326
  Westone has first party balanced cable. Your dealer might be able to source it for you.
https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/accessories/cables/ultra-thin-balanced-cable-1.html

i will try to ask more shops, buy i have already asked two of them. one had nothing and second said that they only have 'ultra thin normal 3.5 singe ended cable' == same cable as you paste link to, but not balanced.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #11,264 of 16,326
  i will try to ask more shops, buy i have already asked two of them. one had nothing and second said that they only have 'ultra thin normal 3.5 singe ended cable' == same cable as you paste link to, but not balanced.

You can try online shopping in Singapore.

www.connect-it.com.sg
www.lazada.com.sg - look for SKM Westone authorised distriubutor for Singapore
effect audio. 
www.music-sanctuary.com

Hope all this help...

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #11,265 of 16,326
I can afford the DP-X1 some time early next year.  I cannot afford the new model at all.  I do not want a camera and some of the other new extras that the new model is offering.  I am going to save for it after I get a new desktop computer.  I have my deceased grandfather's that my grandma was nice enough to give me after my even older computer died.  The current desktop is running Vista and is almost full due to my 35,000 song music library.  The power supply died so a friend of mine is supposed to replace when he gets time.  He is very busy.  First new dekstop then audio bliss with DP-X1.  Will my shure se846 match well unbalanced with the DP-X1?  Will the Audeze EL-8?  I plan on buying the EL-8 after the DP-X1 when I can afford it.  I am not interested in running anything balanced currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back