ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 9, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #11,238 of 16,326
it is normal output mode without passing built'in amplifer just for bypassing EU cap limit

actially ... i compared it to normal mode and it sounds different. i have to compare it thoroughly, but it looks like it is headphone amplifer bypass with just variable volume control... eh (difference voltage for lineout?)

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #11,240 of 16,326
...amusingly, only THIS WEEK the Canadian distributor brought out the units. I've got one put aside, and have tried to keep up with the now massive thread, but curious for those that have had it now almost a year how it's holding up (obvious complaints about loose jacks aside) and if there's a FAQ on the latest quibbles that would help someone finally getting to play with the thing.

Will be running unbalanced at first with Sure 846 - making sure things like lack of hiss, general operability, battery time after a few months, etc.

cheers!

Sep 9, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #11,241 of 16,326
Hey guys, sorry to barge in. Is the ONKYO DP-X1 better than a Pico Slim/iPod classic combo with TWAG 2 LOD?

I find the pioneer is better to my ears than my ipos classic and the pico original but not heard the dp-x1. Will let others chime in. I find the pioneer has a wider sound stage, fuller richer sound. The ipod just sounds sterile and boring in my opinion even amped, and i have loved my classic since release.

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #11,242 of 16,326
i got westone w60 today. disabled variable line out and using normal gain. volume around 90-100 points.
SE for now. looking for BL cable.
is there some amp recommendation to try that might improve sound of dp-x1 + w60?

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #11,243 of 16,326
i got westone w60 today. disabled variable line out and using normal gain. volume around 90-100 points.
SE for now. looking for BL cable.
is there some amp recommendation to try that might improve sound of dp-x1 + w60?

Whats wrong with the sound?

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #11,244 of 16,326
I find the pioneer is better to my ears than my ipos classic and the pico original but not heard the dp-x1. Will let others chime in. I find the pioneer has a wider sound stage, fuller richer sound. The ipod just sounds sterile and boring in my opinion even amped, and i have loved my classic since release.

Thanks, I'll check it out! And yes, hopefully others will chime in as well.

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #11,246 of 16,326
  nothing wrong. i just have extra to spend for upgrade :)

Here is my opinion. I dont think adding an amp will really improve the sound with the weston w60. I think only adding something like the mojo would and then having the dp-x1 is kinda pointless as it just becomes a transport and thats if the mojo would actually improve the sound. I have not heard the mojo myself, so can not comment on that. If you dont have balanced cables for you w60 yet pick up one either from westone or an aftermarket one and go from there.

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #11,247 of 16,326
  Here is my opinion. I dont think adding an amp will really improve the sound with the weston w60. I think only adding something like the mojo would and then having the dp-x1 is kinda pointless as it just becomes a transport and thats if the mojo would actually improve the sound. I have not heard the mojo myself, so can not comment on that. If you dont have balanced cables for you w60 yet pick up one either from westone or an aftermarket one and go from there.

nice, thanks.
dp-x1 interested as transport since it does have some interesting stuff for me as dap like two microSD slots and 5ghz wireless. i am easily fit inside 2x200GB microSD what other DAPs mostly can not (just look at that nw-zx2 or fiio x7). so... mojo might be a good addition. anyway i am searching where to buy locally balanced cable for westone (Hanoi, Vietnam)... no luck :frowning2:

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #11,250 of 16,326
  The pioneer xdp-100r
The pioneer xdp-100r will have the same sound signature as the DP-X1 as the internals are almost the same.  The only difference you will see or hear is when the Balanced out is used.

I heard they have a different sound signature. I will probably find out next month. Might pick up the dp-x1 for myself and sell my pioneer to a friend that needs an upgrade from his Fiio x1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back