ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Aug 22, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #10,981 of 16,326
  Plex works but I'm not sure it is high rez streaming.

Plex can be set to do anything you want - including, most importantly, leave the source media the %^&* alone. Yes - Plex can serve up as-high a rez as you care to serve up. So can any other decently-build DLNA server. All you have to do it make sure to turn transcoding OFF, so that exactly what is in the source file is exactly what gets shipped to the player. Done. Easy.

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #10,982 of 16,326

Plex can be set to do anything you want - including, most importantly, leave the source media the %^&* alone. Yes - Plex can serve up as-high a rez as you care to serve up. So can any other decently-build DLNA server. All you have to do it make sure to turn transcoding OFF, so that exactly what is in the source file is exactly what gets shipped to the player. Done. Easy.

Ok, thanks.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #10,983 of 16,326

Nice to know that.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #10,984 of 16,326
I think that is actually decent battery time. You are using two dacs and two amps, driving a moderately tough load and at fairly high output. 3 hours might be a little short, but 5 hours and close is quite decent. So did you have a balanced cable made, or are you going SE but have it set to balanced mode? If it is the SE output (hope I don't seem like I'm talking down to you) it is not actually running balanced unless I'm unaware of something. I actually had an adapter made that allowed my PM3 balanced cable to run my 400i balanced with the DP-X1, which did a surprisingly good job, and I think the battery hit was significant if I remember correctly.

Yes, using a custom made balanced cable made by Custom Cans UK. I think the battery time with SE HE400i OEM cable was not too different btw, although it's been awhile so I'd want to double check that to be sure.

I'm also seeing some other weird battery issues. For example, I've seen the battery drain from 50% down to zero in under a minute. Also, I'll have the device completely powered off and charged 100% and come back to it a day or two later and the battery will be completely drained somehow.

I've got a replacement DP-X1 on the way and I'll report back once I complete my comparative testing.

If it turns out that 3-5 hours (in airplane mode with unnecessary apps disabled, btw) is the best this can do with my balanced config then I'll be somewhat disappointed, but I think I'll be willing to live with it because the sound/feature set is that good and 3-5 hours is all the listening I'll do when using balanced and the HE400is.

But, hey, Onkyo, if you're listening, bigger battery next time please.

FWIW, I get approximately 10 hours of Bluetooth aptX playing Tidal to Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless, and I'm happy with that.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #10,985 of 16,326

Yes, Plex is awesome. However, I don't like using their app all that much for music and prefer the Onkyo app.

Also, is there a SQ or any other performance compromises with say playing FLAC or DSD files streamed through Plex rather than the Onkyo app? I know Plex piggybacks on the device's native music player, but what about the upscaling, etc that Onkyo has added?

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #10,986 of 16,326
Aug 23, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #10,987 of 16,326
FWIW, I get approximately 10 hours of Bluetooth aptX playing Tidal to Sennheiser Momentum 2 wireless, and I'm happy with that.

Once I went Bluetooth for portable use I sold my DP-X1 as sadly, as much as I loved it, it was wasted completely as my phone was as good a transport, and actually had better Bluetooth signal strength I found. yes, if you are getting 10 hours with the DP-X1 the battery was not likely the culprit. Anyway, better luck with the new unit and let us know how it works out.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #10,988 of 16,326
If anyone else decides they wants to sell theirs let me know.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #10,989 of 16,326
Cool, TWICE gave the Onkyo DP-X1 a VIP 2016 award ^^

Good news!
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #10,990 of 16,326
Aug 23, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #10,992 of 16,326
I will never sell mine, love it and I never have issues with the player. There is I think 2 for sale in the forums however. Make sure they bought it from an authorized seller though.

I'm contemplating selling mine as I just can't get it to stream DSD from an Auralic Aries Mini. FLAC was not a problem. I used a paid BubbleuPnP app.

I borrowed an AK300 and that streamed faultlessly.

Aug 24, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #10,993 of 16,326
Im also looking for a DP-X1 ill settle for one with the headphone plug fault if needed as cant afford brand new player.
Will look more in forums perhaps on another site too ?
The last player i owned was the sony A17 I was not Impressed with sound quality. The DP-X1 would be my first real player.

Looking foreward to relistening all this 70s prog jazz blues funk n soul etc stuff in great clarity!

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #10,994 of 16,326
Im also looking for a DP-X1 ill settle for one with the headphone plug fault if needed as cant afford brand new player.
Will look more in forums perhaps on another site too ?
The last player i owned was the sony A17 I was not Impressed with sound quality. The DP-X1 would be my first real player.

Looking foreward to relistening all this 70s prog jazz blues funk n soul etc stuff in great clarity!

I wonder how you will feel when you hear those recordings presented so vividly? For me usually older recordings from the 70s sound very flat, sometimes still good, but rather sterile and two dimensional. That said, I'm not sure how much prog jazz, blues, funk n soul I really heard. Let us know once you do get the chance to experience the music through the DP-X1.

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #10,995 of 16,326
IMHO DAP manufacturers are really struggling to produce a product that is better than a phone. All I have heard from DAP's is either a barely discernible difference or worse SQ.
I have come to the conclusion that a properly implemented DAC and amp is as good as it gets. Because phones tend to be designed by electrical engineers who design circuits correctly inadvertently they have provided a device at the limits of digital reproduction. Anything further seems to be just marketing.

i agree with you....the apple iphone 6s plus sounds fantastic and i have a sony ZX100 to boot not much diffrence 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back