ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Aug 19, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #10,936 of 16,326
People swear the separation is better, and the background is even quieter, but I have no idea personally. I used the DP-X1 balanced with my PM3, but I was after the extra power which ironically I rarely used as I used ACG mode.

As I've discussed many moons ago, ACG is amazing.

Just for a reminder for all:

BTL:
1x DAC/channel, 1x amp/channel

ACG:
1x DAC/channel, 1x Amp for ground (0v), 1x Amp for L/R channels.

Thus, the better noise floor = better clarity but a little less power, and for me that's a great trade-off.

SE on DP-X1 sans external DAC/amps is much poorer than ACG, but not so bad compared to BTL except latter's big power output.

So, ACG + headphones = WIN for me!

If ACG wasn't an option, we'd be having a different conversation.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #10,937 of 16,326
Go demo first.
Unless, like me, taking risks is fun and awesome
wink.gif

(Until I had the DP-X1, never heard a balanced setup).

As for CIEM's, well, on my Meze 99 Classics and Audeze EL-8, both of which which I have DHC Molecule Elite 22 Silver 4-Wire balanced cables, the differences are quite noticeable.
On my older Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's for which I own DHC Symbiote Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable, differences between SE and balanced is HUGE!.
In all my tests, going from balanced to SE was done using a DHC 2.5mm to 3.5mm ultrashort adapter for fairness.

I'm getting Noble Audio Katana CIEM's, with brand new DHC Silver balanced cables (trading in my current Fusion IEM cable to DHC).
That's because I heard the universal Katana in balanced mode at CanJam London 2016 and LOVED IT.

Post of my thoughts between K10 and Katana using balanced DHC cables and DP-X1 here ^^

No one can say for sure if it is worth doing this other than your own self.
For me, balanced IEM/CIEM is worth it, big time!

Problem is getting a hold of the stuff to test. Not so easy where I currently am at.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #10,938 of 16,326
I am looking for something to replace my macbook pro as a source to Burson CV2+. I want to be able to line out micro usb to female, to usb male to Burson CV2+. Will the Onkyo do this? Would be nice to be able to take my music anywhere then come home and use it as a source when I want to listen to my higher end over the hear headphones. Thanks in advance. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #10,939 of 16,326
  I am looking for something to replace my macbook pro as a source to Burson CV2+. I want to be able to line out micro usb to female, to usb male to Burson CV2+. Will the Onkyo do this? Would be nice to be able to take my music anywhere then come home and use it as a source when I want to listen to my higher end over the hear headphones. Thanks in advance. 

Yes.

Onkyo DP-X1 is a full Android OTG device, but this means it must go from Micro-USB to USB to DAC.

As your (BLOODY GORGEOUS INDUSTRIAL TANK) Burson Audio Conductor V2+ (SUPER EPIC THING OF BEAUTY) has an ESS Sabre 32 bit/364 kHz built-in with a USB XMOS chip, it would certainly work wonders with the DP-X1 and give you greater single-ended, higher resolution output.

However, you can also use the DP-X1 in line-out mode, on either single-ended (use Line Out Mode) or balanced (max the volume) to analogue input amps, if you so wish. That is what I will be doing when I get my Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon amp and associated DHC pure silver interconnect cable (2.5mm to 4-Pin XLR, and then 4-Pin XLR to 2x 3-Pin XLR adapter).

Here are some quotes from the Burson Audio Conductor V2+ product page:

Upgrade in a Snap

If you want more from the Conductor V2, upgrading is a snap! With our modularized design, a reference class DAC PCB can be added which allows for TOS link, Coaxial Input that supports up to 24bit 192K of input. Furthermore, you could add the latest XMOS USB module that supports most IOS & Android devices, up to 32bit/364K sampling, 256DSD and DXD. Once all digital options are included, the reference class V2 becomes a V2+. (link)

Measurement Package Content 
Input impedance:35 KOhms1 x Conductor V2+Headphone amp / Pre-Amp / USB DAC
Frequency response:± 1 dB 0 – 56Khz1 x Remote Control 
THD:<0.003%1 x RCA Cable 
Input impedance:>8K Ohm1 x Power Cable 
Output impedance (Headphone Amp):3 OhmGeneral 
Output impedance (Line Level):25 OhmWeight:app. 7 kg
Inputs:2 x RCA line level inputDimensions:265mm x 255mm x 80mm
Outputs:1 x RCA Pre Amp, 1 x Headphone Jack  

Impedance (Headphone Jack)PowerSignal to Noise RatioSeparation
16 Ohm8.2W92db99%
32 Ohm4W95db99%
100 Ohm1.46W94db99%
150 Ohm1W94db99%
300 Ohm0.5W95db99.5%

DAC Spec USB Spec 
Channel Separation:142 dB @ 1KHz, 135 dB @ 20KHzDesktop OS:Windows XP, 7, 8, 10 Mac OSX
THD+N:0.0005% @ 1KHz, 0dBFSDesktop OS:iOS* , Android (require OTG support)
COAX & Toslink / SPDIF :24 bits / 44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176.4K, 192KHzPCM Support:PCM ? 384kHz @ 16, 24 or 32bits
  Native DSD:Native DSD 64 / 128 / 256
  DSD over PCM:DoP64 / DoP128 / DoP256
  Asynchronous Isochronous

So, yes, Android is supported, Onkyo DP-X1 (and Pioneer XDP-100R) are Android 5.1.1 devices = WINNING

^^

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #10,940 of 16,326

Yes.

Onkyo DP-X1 is a full Android OTG device, but this means it must go from Micro-USB to USB to DAC.

As your (BLOODY GORGEOUS INDUSTRIAL TANK) Burson Audio Conductor V2+ (SUPER EPIC THING OF BEAUTY) has an ESS Sabre 32 bit/364 kHz built-in with a USB XMOS chip, it would certainly work wonders with the DP-X1 and give you greater single-ended, higher resolution output.

However, you can also use the DP-X1 in line-out mode, on either single-ended (use Line Out Mode) or balanced (max the volume) to analogue input amps, if you so wish. That is what I will be doing when I get my Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon amp and associated DHC pure silver interconnect cable (2.5mm to 4-Pin XLR, and then 4-Pin XLR to 2x 3-Pin XLR adapter).

Here are some quotes from the Burson Audio Conductor V2+ product page:

Measurement Package Content 
Input impedance:35 KOhms1 x Conductor V2+Headphone amp / Pre-Amp / USB DAC
Frequency response:± 1 dB 0 – 56Khz1 x Remote Control 
THD:<0.003%1 x RCA Cable 
Input impedance:>8K Ohm1 x Power Cable 
Output impedance (Headphone Amp):3 OhmGeneral 
Output impedance (Line Level):25 OhmWeight:app. 7 kg
Inputs:2 x RCA line level inputDimensions:265mm x 255mm x 80mm
Outputs:1 x RCA Pre Amp, 1 x Headphone Jack  

Impedance (Headphone Jack)PowerSignal to Noise RatioSeparation
16 Ohm8.2W92db99%
32 Ohm4W95db99%
100 Ohm1.46W94db99%
150 Ohm1W94db99%
300 Ohm0.5W95db99.5%

DAC Spec USB Spec 
Channel Separation:142 dB @ 1KHz, 135 dB @ 20KHzDesktop OS:Windows XP, 7, 8, 10 Mac OSX
THD+N:0.0005% @ 1KHz, 0dBFSDesktop OS:iOS* , Android (require OTG support)
COAX & Toslink / SPDIF :24 bits / 44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176.4K, 192KHzPCM Support:PCM ? 384kHz @ 16, 24 or 32bits
  Native DSD:Native DSD 64 / 128 / 256
  DSD over PCM:DoP64 / DoP128 / DoP256
  Asynchronous Isochronous

So, yes, Android is supported, Onkyo DP-X1 (and Pioneer XDP=100R) are Android 5.1.1 devices = WINNING

^^

Awesome, thank you so much for the response !

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #10,941 of 16,326
Aug 19, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #10,942 of 16,326
Gotcha. I would just use a phone with the Mojo and save the money. Once the device is just a transport all the internals are wasted so might as well use a phone. I know newer phones have tons of storage available and great screens so actually are better transports than most DAPs.

I tried that and it was initially my entry into this audio hobby of ours.

1.But I personally found this method although reasonably acceptable most of the time, the fact that I was using my phone, which in normal use would last just about a day, would be worse when being used as transport.

2.Interference from the phone radios would also spoil the listening (put the phone in aeroplane mode I hear some say) not practical when I wish to use it as a phones as well.

2. Lack of storage, my phone does not have expandable storage.

3. MQA compatibility a main reason for the Onkyo for me.

These were the reasons for me at least

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #10,945 of 16,326
MQA looks bound to crash and burn like DSD unfortunately. All hype so far, with nothing to show for it except for a paltry few releases of music no one has ever heard of.
Is there much yet available in MQA? Just asking cuz I don't really know

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #10,946 of 16,326
Having issues...
So when I use Tidal and place the player in stand alone mode, and check Tidal's offline button.

If I don't turn the player off, the next time I go to use it it will play 3-8 songs and then stop playing, I have to pull the player out of stand by mode and then it plays again.

If I turn the player off it does not do this.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

SERIOUSLY?!? Am I the only one this is happening to?

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #10,947 of 16,326
Having issues...
So when I use Tidal and place the player in stand alone mode, and check Tidal's offline button.

If I don't turn the player off, the next time I go to use it it will play 3-8 songs and then stop playing, I have to pull the player out of stand by mode and then it plays again.

If I turn the player off it does not do this.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

So You want to listen to Tidal offline in stand alone mode? Let me try that for You.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #10,948 of 16,326
Welp sold my Onkyo DP-X1. Don't get me wrong, great device but decided my HTC 10 and LG G5 provide comparable results and the rarstimes I find them lacking I'll utilize my recently ordered chord Hugo. But generally I find that the mobile phone platform on its own has made great strides. F course this is all IMO.

I'll continue to follow this forum, and who knows I may find myself right back here as an owner. Also planning on selling my Sony ZX2 for the same reason.

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #10,949 of 16,326
I wish to use my Onkyo as a DLNA client (to receive streamed music from a server). Is there an actual DLNA client app or feature built-in or are third party Android apps required? I don't seem to find it in the 108 page PDF manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back