ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Aug 18, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #10,921 of 16,326
Having issues...
So when I use Tidal and place the player in stand alone mode, and check Tidal's offline button.

If I don't turn the player off, the next time I go to use it it will play 3-8 songs and then stop playing, I have to pull the player out of stand by mode and then it plays again.

If I turn the player off it does not do this.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #10,922 of 16,326
  this thread is too big for me to look for info i need

can anyone kindly answer the few questions I have

1- how does the dp-x1 compare to fiio x7 using am3 or am5 modules
2- how is the bass compared to fiio x7
3- how is the eq in dp-x1
4- which has a wider sound stage fiio or onkyo
5- how do 3rd party apps sound compared to stock music app

i know its lots of questions but it would be nice to get as many answers as possible

Here's a pretty good comparison between the DP-X1 and the X7 with the AM3 amp module that answers some of your questions: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/9585#post_12679227

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #10,924 of 16,326
If the DP-X1 is so good, why do people pair it with a Mojo?

I like my DP-X1 over my Mojo! I only pair the Mojo with my iPod touch and soon a Fiio x3ii. DP-X1 rocks, not sure how some are having battery issues but I have 12 hour shifts at work with still around 25% left switching between my 200gbs of FLAC or Tidal HIFI offline.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #10,927 of 16,326
If the DP-X1 is so good, why do people pair it with a Mojo?

Maybe because some people prefer the sound stage or imagery of the Mojo, or could it be the ability to drive more demanding headphones, these are no reflections of the DP-X1, as I am sure users also pair their Mojo with other DAP's too.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #10,928 of 16,326
Yes, DP-X1 is very good but I guess if you want more Mojo is the candidate.

Yes and no. Mojo requires a source, the DP-X1 does not, so they are still different and not directly comparable.

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #10,930 of 16,326
With the new Tidal update today it no longer skips in the beginning of the song.

Thank you for the info. I will wait a little bit before update to newer version as my current version is ok.

Is there any difference in SQ compare to previous version ?

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #10,931 of 16,326
I did not mean to compare between the two. What I meant is you need more weight and juice just add Mojo to DP-X1. :wink:

Gotcha. I would just use a phone with the Mojo and save the money. Once the device is just a transport all the internals are wasted so might as well use a phone. I know newer phones have tons of storage available and great screens so actually are better transports than most DAPs.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #10,932 of 16,326
Here's my take on using the Onkyo DP-X1 with or without external DAC/amp combos:

If, and only if, you never, ever, want to use balanced mode, or you only own single-ended headphones (unmodded, unmodifiable, or never getting balanced cables) get Pioneer XDP-100R, and maybe something like the Chord Mojo.
Ditto Questyle QP1R, Echobox Explorer, etc.

If you wish to experiment with balanced and single-ended output plus the benefits of streaming and high storage capacity, then consider DP-X1.

If you pick the latter, but you have some single-ended headphones that you wish to max out, then DP-X1 + Mojo is awesome.

So, in my case, if I wanted to max my SE AKG K 712, Meze 11 Neo, or KEF Audio M500, I would do exactly what masterpfa has done and get a Mojo to play with DP-X1.
However, I do not want to do this personally, and my slightly modded Meze 99 Classics and Audeze EL-8 Titanium have balanced cables for balanced playback with DP-X1.
I should add, it is entirely possible that DP-X1 + Mojo SE output is better than DP-X1 balanced (either BTL or, to me, the #Orpheus superior ACG mode).

If I wanted maximum transportable balanced system, then DP-X1 + ALO Continental Dual Mono would be a fine (but hot) system.

Furthermore, I do not want to carry a stack, but if Onkyo released a professional add-on for DP-X1 for more power and battery with balanced out (like Astell & Kern AK3xx series), that would be a serious consideration.

So, DP-X1 with Mojo is fine, especially for future proofing oneself and have both SE and balanced options.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #10,933 of 16,326
Here's my take on using the Onkyo DP-X1 with or without external DAC/amp combos:

If, and only if, you never, ever, want to use balanced mode, or you only own single-ended headphones (unmodded, unmodifiable, or never getting balanced cables) get Pioneer XDP-100R, and maybe something like the Chord Mojo.
Ditto Questyle QP1R, Echobox Explorer, etc.

If you wish to experiment with balanced and single-ended output plus the benefits of streaming and high storage capacity, then consider DP-X1.

If you pick the latter, but you have some single-ended headphones that you wish to max out, then DP-X1 + Mojo is awesome.

So, in my case, if I wanted to max my SE AKG K 712, Meze 11 Neo, or KEF Audio M500, I would do exactly what @masterpfa has done and get a Mojo to play with DP-X1.
However, I do not want to do this personally, and my slightly modded Meze 99 Classics and Audeze EL-8 Titanium have balanced cables for balanced playback with DP-X1.
I should add, it is entirely possible that DP-X1 + Mojo SE output is better than DP-X1 balanced (either BTL or, to me, the #Orpheus superior ACG mode).

If I wanted maximum transportable balanced system, then DP-X1 + ALO Continental Dual Mono would be a fine (but hot) system.

Furthermore, I do not want to carry a stack, but if Onkyo released a professional add-on for DP-X1 for more power and battery with balanced out (like Astell & Kern AK3xx series), that would be a serious consideration.

So, DP-X1 with Mojo is fine, especially for future proofing oneself and have both SE and balanced options.

I have been having he debate about the pioneer and the dp-x1 and wondering what a balanced cable really brings to custom iems.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #10,934 of 16,326

I have been having he debate about the pioneer and the dp-x1 and wondering what a balanced cable really brings to custom iems.

People swear the separation is better, and the background is even quieter, but I have no idea personally. I used the DP-X1 balanced with my PM3, but I was after the extra power which ironically I rarely used as I used ACG mode.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #10,935 of 16,326

Go demo first.
Unless, like me, taking risks is fun and awesome :wink:
(Until I had the DP-X1, never heard a balanced setup).

As for CIEM's, well, on my Meze 99 Classics and Audeze EL-8 Titanium, both of which which I have DHC Molecule Elite 22 Silver 4-Wire balanced cables, the differences are quite noticeable.
On my older Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's for which I own DHC Symbiote Fusion 8-Wire balanced cable, differences between SE and balanced is HUGE!.
In all my tests, going from balanced to SE was done using a DHC 2.5mm to 3.5mm ultrashort adapter for fairness.

I'm getting Noble Audio Katana CIEM's, with brand new DHC Silver balanced cables (trading in my current Fusion IEM cable to DHC).
That's because I heard the universal Katana in balanced mode at CanJam London 2016 and LOVED IT.

Post of my thoughts between K10 and Katana using balanced DHC cables and DP-X1 here ^^

No one can say for sure if it is worth doing this other than your own self.
For me, balanced IEM/CIEM is worth it, big time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back