ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 20, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #9,361 of 16,326
I have been wondering the same thing about these expensive DAPs.What happens when the battery craps out?Are your stuck with a $1000 paper weight?

PS: Is that what happened to your ZX1?

Something got it stuck in a boot loop, it might be a software or a hardware issue, besides the battery being a little flaky. I'm not entirely confident in SONY players going forward, and it doesn't help that their Hi-Res credentials are questionable. Most DAPs, especially of this tier, all seem to have internally sealed batteries, perhaps for the sake of fanciful aluminum machined bodies, so I was always expecting they'd have longer lasting batteries. Warranties are also usually one year, and I did wind up in your sort of scenario - an expensive paperweight. I'm still considering whether to repair it or not.

I'm also wondering, is anyone using the Poweramp app on the DP-X1? It's my preferred Android audio app, so I'm curious to know how it goes on the DP-X1 given how tightly integrated some of the DSP/features seem to be with the Onkyo app when I tried the DP-X1 briefly in a store several weeks ago.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #9,362 of 16,326
I almost got it when I discovered it can't do native PCM (44.1k multiples are sample rate conversion to 48k multiples) and DSD is converted PCM 192k. Even on the fly PCM to DSD can't be done internally and must use external DAC. Still no MQA firmware update. Basically whatever is advertised on d website don't seem to fulfil. Otherwise this is good player.

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #9,365 of 16,326
When battery die, there is always new battery and guy who can replace it :)

Or - external power bank :)

When the battery flakes out due to end of life span or similar things, most high end players like the DP-X1 don't look easy to disassemble. You might wind up taking it to the relevant service centre for a battery replacement, only to get charged a not-small-amount for service-out-of-warranty. Or, even, the specific battery required might not be available any more because it's an old model, etc.

And external power banks are not a credible solution for such large, heavy players that are already an extra item on your person compared to the usual person carrying just a smartphone. Furthermore, you might need the external battery for your other devices, or if the player is altogether not charging and therefore dead entirely due to the battery, no amount of power banks are going to help.

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #9,366 of 16,326
You are right - battery  replacement always costly. But sealed batteries nowadays - common trend and we can't do much. But always there will be enthusiasts ready to help - in my country I new few who can repair anything and for reasonable amount of cash. I thing that with such big comunity here we will find solution :)

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #9,367 of 16,326
But really you can just send it in for an official service, even if it is costly, it won't be crazy costly, might be $100 tops, but that would only need to happen after 3-6 years, depending on usage pattern, so really it's not that much to spend after so much time.

Anyway, these devices all use 3.7v batteries, same type phones use, any DIYer will forever be able to replace the battery of most daps, it doesn't have to be the original model battery, just 3.7v and right size, and they will always be available in many many sizes so not a problem to replace them. But yeah it's not something the average person can do themselves, opening some of these daps is tricky and might need to solder battery leads to a connector.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #9,368 of 16,326
Found finaly nice case for X1 - with flip cover for screen for better protection:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZZOZZ-Genuine-Leather-FLIP-Case-for-Onkyo-dp-x1-Music-Player-X1F-/172215375616

That's a cool case!

I still think Dignis Design LUNO DP-X1 leather cases are the best, and I much prefer no flip cover or anything covering the screen (I have installed the official Onkyo DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector).

However, that case you found is very pretty and looks durable.
Let's hope the real thing is as good as the pictures seem to indicate...

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #9,369 of 16,326
Here's an idea....

If anyone here has heard of Boeffla Sound, it's an app on the play store that can directly tune the DAC of the android device that it's supported by.

It's features include..

"- DAC Direct
- DAC Oversampling
- FLL Tuning
- Speaker Tuning
- Stereo Expansion
- Mono Downmix
- Headphones Volume
- Speaker Volume
- Microphone Gains
- Hardware Equalizer (with Graphical Equalizer)
- Volume Buttons Mapping
- Privacy Mode
and many more... "

It only works on kernels with Boeffla Sound support. Now I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has enough knowledge of our device to develop an app just like this for our DP-X1. That would be fantastic, as it would allow us to have even more room for tweaking the sound directly from the DAC. It would be another option besides V4A and other DSPs. :)

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #9,370 of 16,326
  Found finaly nice case for X1 - with flip cover for screen for better protection:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZZOZZ-Genuine-Leather-FLIP-Case-for-Onkyo-dp-x1-Music-Player-X1F-/172215375616

Ordered a similar case without the flap. Now.....all I need is a good source for cables for my Nighthawks and HD800s so I can hear this player in balanced mode with these two headphones. (This is getting very expensive.) Are there any reasonably priced cables out there I can purchase?

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #9,371 of 16,326
Ordered a similar case without the flap. Now.....all I need is a good source for cables for my Nighthawks and HD800s so I can hear this player in balanced mode with these two headphones. (This is getting very expensive.) Are there any reasonably priced cables out there I can purchase?

Forza Audio Works (FAW)
Check them out here on headfi.

Jun 21, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #9,374 of 16,326

Peterek Cables....on headfi and responds quickly to PM's, does great work, reasonably priced.

Jun 21, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #9,375 of 16,326
Hi, I'm new to head-fi. I just received my DP-X1 from a local dealer few days ago. Upgraded from Ibasso DX90. Overall I am really happy with it. Love the bright crystal sound and it really matched with my T5p.

Though I just wondering, I find it sound better, brighter and have more soundstage if I plug to 3.5 mm compared to the 2.5 mm output and set on balanced mode. Does anyone feel the same? Or I made some mistake here?

But if I plugged on 2.5 mm and set on ACG mode it does sound better, but the single-ended 3.5 mm would sound louder, meaning that 2.5 mm ACG mode have lower power output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back