ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 18, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #9,346 of 16,326
  Got my DP-X1 a few days back 
biggrin.gif
 It was a tough two and a half hour audition among the Opus#1, AK320 and the DP-X1. The Opus is good, sounded more forward than the DP-X1, in short, very good value for the price, being the cheapest of the three. I really wanted to like it, but... but that screen! The colours are almost completely washed out when with the slightest tilt of the device! I can't imagine using it when on the move, or even more so under bright sunlight. The AK320... well, I'd say it sounds better than the DP-X1, being more musical, intimate and having better layering while able to convey emotion better than the DP-X1 and the Opus, but I don't think it's worth he huge difference in price. The DP-X1 sounded the most spacious and transparent among the three, albeit the driest. It sounds really "accurate", having a "reference" quality sound. And it pairs really well with my NT-6 Pro's - the separation, imaging, detail and soundstage are out of this world! My only gripe with the Onkyo is that it comes without a case, or at least a screen protector (shouldn't this be a norm for such devices nowadays?) But oh well, I have a glass screen protector and the Onkyo case flying over from Japan right now so all is good 
wink.gif

The bold above is they exact reason I love this player! You'll have to try it with Tidal Hifi which is what i mainly use it for. I have a 200gb filled with DSD and FLAC as well. Give it some time, it really grows on you, this is my favorite DAP Ive purchased thus far. In your statement above you mentioned "Musical" this is the reason Im really considering buying the Mojo as well, keeping the DP-X1. You can have the DP-X1 and Mojo for way less then the AK320! 
Congrats on your purchase!!

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #9,347 of 16,326
Thinking of ordering a Dignis case for my dp-X1: I have the Onkyo case which is ok but a bit basic. But, I change my micro SD cards fairly frequently. Onkyo case is a pretty tight fit but I can push the player out from the USB end where the case is open.

That end is covered by the Dignis case so I'm guessing it's going to be more difficult to remove the player.

How difficult is it to remove the player from the Dignis case? Is it worth spending $85? Is it that much better than the Onkyo case?

Advice and opinions would be much appreciated!

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #9,348 of 16,326
Thinking of ordering a Dignis case for my dp-X1: I have the Onkyo case which is ok but a bit basic. But, I change my micro SD cards fairly frequently. Onkyo case is a pretty tight fit but I can push the player out from the USB end where the case is open.

That end is covered by the Dignis case so I'm guessing it's going to be more difficult to remove the player.

How difficult is it to remove the player from the Dignis case? Is it worth spending $85? Is it that much better than the Onkyo case?

Advice and opinions would be much appreciated!

Okay, yeah, the Dignis case fits the DPX1 hand-in-glove. It's perfect–which is great (full stop), except... when you want to try and get it out. I need to get to my SD card regularly too and I can tell you it's a pain. The only way to do it, that I've found, is to push on the small space around the micro-USB power port. I have a soft tool I use so I don't scratch the DPX1 case. If anyone knows some other method, i would be sincerely obliged to know it. 

Given that, the Dignis case is worth its price. It's a gorgeous case that, again, has been cut and stitched perfectly to the Onkyo. Functionally, and this is a big deal, it makes the slippy DPX1–grippy. For me, these are tradeoffs that I gladly make for the inconvenience of access to the SD card. 

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #9,349 of 16,326
It's pretty easy to remove the player from the Dignis case. I use the flat top of a pencil pushed through the USB port opening to dislodge it initially, and then pull from the top.

Most cases detract from the device they're protecting, I think the Dignis case adds to the DP-X1.

In terms of the design, engineering, and quality involved in its production, I consider it to be worth its price.

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #9,350 of 16,326
  It's pretty easy to remove the player from the Dignis case. I use the flat top of a pencil pushed through the USB port opening to dislodge it initially, and then pull from the top.

Most cases detract from the device they're protecting, I think the Dignis case adds to the DP-X1.

In terms of the design, engineering, and quality involved in its production, I consider it to be worth its price.

A pencil, yup, that'll do nicely. I almost forgot they still made them. 

Jun 18, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #9,351 of 16,326
  I just received my DP-X1 from Moon Audio (it has CD in the serial no so I assume it was for US market).

Using the balanced out (with two different cables) I am getting a lot of distortion in the left channel. Is this the issue with poorly built sockets or some other bug?

Note: I am using the stock player that came with the DAP and have not installed any apps myself. I also put it in airplane mode to avoid any interference.

Nabil,
I had same experience lot of distortion and sometime silence ,I thought It is loose jack or cables but it was weird ,luckily things got better and never happened again  and sounded fantastic ,any way you may get things better after a while playing around and good luck

Jun 19, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #9,352 of 16,326
I think I need to pursue a warranty claim for two issues: Bluetooth cutouts and poor battery life. I'm only getting 5 hours in balanced mode using HE400i cans and playing FLAC files with Onkyo music app in airplane mode and screen off.

I purchased my DPX1 through Amazon in the United States, and it was supplied directly from Onkyo. Hower, I have since relocated to the UK. Will this create a problem getting service from Onkyo? Some companies such as Sony only provide warranty service for items still in the same country they were purchased.

Bump. Any one else tried an out of country warranty claim?

Jun 19, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #9,353 of 16,326
  1. TheOneInyellow thanks for a long good explaination.
  2. I didnt knew about the old batch problem, i just saw it avaible in uk store.
  3. When i asked the store if it was in stock (i normaly do before purchase) I was told they never had got it on sale and the shipment was delayed
  4. because Onkyo was correcting it.
Now i guess is best to purchase the ones in europe when they come out, but i will wait a bit to see reaction if is fixed.
Sadly this errors can happens to any company and this was the first releases on Onkyo DP-X1.
Im glad to know that is now cleared up and i can just wait for the new badges to come along.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #9,355 of 16,326
Received my DP-X1 yesterday and it seems to be working fine. However, I can't find the X-DAP link or its setup wizard anywhere on the Onkyo site I'm directed to by the instructions. Just has another copy of the manual and that's it. Would like to just drag and drop files from my computer to the device, but I haven't found any way to do this, either because Windows 10 keeps wanting to convert the files to some other format that's not for music. Can always drag the files to the micro sd card and then put them in the player, but that's the only way I see to transfer music to this player.

Sounds great, but I'm unsure what's the best way to get more music onto the player.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #9,356 of 16,326
  Received my DP-X1 yesterday and it seems to be working fine. However, I can't find the X-DAP link or its setup wizard anywhere on the Onkyo site I'm directed to by the instructions. Just has another copy of the manual and that's it. Would like to just drag and drop files from my computer to the device, but I haven't found any way to do this, either because Windows 10 keeps wanting to convert the files to some other format that's not for music. Can always drag the files to the micro sd card and then put them in the player, but that's the only way I see to transfer music to this player.

Sounds great, but I'm unsure what's the best way to get more music onto the player.

Welcome to the Xmen club.

Link it is here - http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/xdap-link.php

For me easier way - just to copy from computer - just connect X1 and you will see your card and skip converting.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #9,357 of 16,326

Welcome to the Xmen club.

Link it is here - http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/xdap-link.php

For me easier way - just to copy from computer - just connect X1 and you will see your card and skip converting.

Thanks. Seems to have downloaded fine. I'd like to drag and drop, myself as am used to doing it with my other devices. Doesn't seem to work for me with this  player., Am also having problems setting the volume. Some tracks are really low and I have to crank the volume way up to hear them at all. Something isn't set right, but I've followed the manual all along setting the player up.  Not sure what's going on there either. Thanks for your help.

(Finally figured out the sound problem. So far the device is working  fine) NO LOOSE SOCKETS! (Considering the price I got this player for, I'm amazed. Really lucked out there.)

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #9,359 of 16,326
Users of this DP-X1, have there been any reliability issues with it? What about its battery life? Since my NWZ-ZX1 is down for the count, the DP-X1 is a consideration, but I'm hoping its battery is designed to last more than 500 cycles...

edit: I notice in the RMAA link on the first page that the DP-X1 seems to peter out up to the 15kHz range, is this typical for RMAA testing?

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #9,360 of 16,326
Users of this DP-X1, have there been any reliability issues with it? What about its battery life? Since my NWZ-ZX1 is down for the count, the DP-X1 is a consideration, but I'm hoping its battery is designed to last more than 500 cycles...

edit: I notice in the RMAA link on the first page that the DP-X1 seems to peter out up to the 15kHz range, is this typical for RMAA testing?

I have been wondering the same thing about these expensive DAPs.What happens when the battery craps out?Are your stuck with a $1000 paper weight?

PS: Is that what happened to your ZX1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back