ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 17, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #9,317 of 16,326
So, I loaded this TWRP and found one issue (seems to be a TWRP issue, and not an implementation issue).  If your system is encrypted (mine is pattern-encrypted) the TWRP won't be able to properly decrypt it, even with the correct pattern.

This is likely a bug that will be resolved.  If you have encrypted your device (like me), the only way to remove encryption is to backup your data and completely wipe the device, and then restore your backup.

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #9,318 of 16,326
  Have always had good experiences with Onkyo in the past, which is one reason I decided to buy this product.  However, from what I'm reading here, this appears to be a very "buggy" Beta-style device. Hope I'm wrong.

It's easy to get a misleading impression from forums where folk will come to report problems and seek solutions.

It's true that there are hardware and software issues with this device, but I wouldn't describe it as very buggy or beta style.

It sounds like Onkyo have addressed the hardware problem with the jacks. Things have been quiet on the software front but hopefully Onkyo are working on further improvements in this area too.

While I might complain about the shortcomings, I'm generally very happy with the DP-X1. Knowing what I know now, I'm still happy I bought it and would recommend it to others who need a DAP now. 

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #9,319 of 16,326
  Well done and thank you.
Is this completely reversible/uninstallable?

You could theoretically pull the existing stock recovery and overwrite it back.  In that case, yes, it's reversible.  In the current state, without anybody having pulled the contents of stock recovery, it wouldn't be.  I certainly didn't think to grab it before I pushed TWRP.

You can always use fastboot to push a new recovery partition, so even if you push one over that is broken, you can always get into fastboot mode and send over a good recovery.  As it stands, though, this should allow us to fix things that we may break, and definitely leads the way to installing custom ROMs.

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #9,320 of 16,326
I'm sure most folk are aware of the famous Venture Electronics Monk / Monk+ earbuds.

You may not be aware that they are now producing a version with a 2.5mm TRRS jack plug, still at the $5 price point.

Mentioned in post #4384 of this thread with ordering information on the Venture Electronics' Official Club Facebook page.

The hype around these is somewhat over the top but they are very good and I don't think there are any other $5 options for trying out the balanced output on the DP-X1.

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #9,321 of 16,326
OK. Here is the custom TWRP recovery for Onkyo DP-X1 DAP: link
If you do not know what it is, then you do not need it :wink: Use at your own risk.
Brief instruction:
1) Boot your player in Fastboot mode (press Power button + Prev track button simultaneously until the penguin)
2) Connect to USB, Install the driver if necessary (Choose "Android ADB interface" from the drivers list).
3) run _flash.bat file or use manual commands to flash or boot into recovery.
You're done. Enjoy!

Whenever I press the button combo it takes me to recovery instead. Plus the bat file says

Jun 17, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #9,323 of 16,326
Try typing the commands in the .bat file manually.  Also, "power + next" should take you to recovery, while "power + prev" should take you to the forever-penguin download mode where fastboot works.

I've been doing all of this on a Mac, though, so I don't know specifically about windows issues.

Jun 17, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #9,325 of 16,326
If you have never connected to ADB before, you may want to a quick few things:

1. Boot into the DP-X1 as normal.

2. Go to device information in the settings app

3. Click on the build number 7 times to become a developer.

4. Open up the developer options menu that appears in the root settings menu.

5.  Enable USB debugging.

6. Attempt to connect to the device over ADB.

7. You should be prompted if you want to trust this computer.  Select yes, and make sure you click the checkbox that says "always trust this computer".

8. Type "adb shell" to get an ADB shell.

9. Type "exit" and then "enter".

10. Turn the device off

11.  Turn it on by pressing and holding "power" + "prev track".

12. When the penguin logo appears, wait 20 seconds.

13.  Try the "fastboot oem device-info" line and see if it returns anything.

It's a little bit different on a Mac.  No need to install drivers, although you have to download Android Studio to get adb and fastboot.  But I've had no issues, and have flashed it several times.

Really, though, I don't recommend installing this just to have it installed.  It doesn't get you anything.  It's not like we currently have custom ROMs.  It's only a helpful little tool if you are a developer or if you manage to royally screw your device and you need to fix the software.  There are also still some bugs that will probably need to be worked out, and it doesn't support encrypted devices at the moment.  Wait until we have some packages that we can install.  This would allow us to root without Kingroot, but nobody has yet written up a guide for that, so it's not too useful.

Jun 17, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #9,326 of 16,326
If you have never connected to ADB before, you may want to a quick few things:

1. Boot into the DP-X1 as normal.

2. Go to device information in the settings app

3. Click on the build number 7 times to become a developer.

4. Open up the developer options menu that appears in the root settings menu.

5.  Enable USB debugging.

6. Attempt to connect to the device over ADB.

7. You should be prompted if you want to trust this computer.  Select yes, and make sure you click the checkbox that says "always trust this computer".

8. Type "adb shell" to get an ADB shell.

9. Type "exit" and then "enter".

10. Turn the device off

11.  Turn it on by pressing and holding "power" + "prev track".

12. When the penguin logo appears, wait 20 seconds.

13.  Try the "fastboot oem device-info" line and see if it returns anything.

It's a little bit different on a Mac.  No need to install drivers, although you have to download Android Studio to get adb and fastboot.  But I've had no issues, and have flashed it several times.

Really, though, I don't recommend installing this just to have it installed.  It doesn't get you anything.  It's not like we currently have custom ROMs.  It's only a helpful little tool if you are a developer or if you manage to royally screw your device and you need to fix the software.  There are also still some bugs that will probably need to be worked out, and it doesn't support encrypted devices at the moment.  Wait until we have some packages that we can install.  This would allow us to root without Kingroot, but nobody has yet written up a guide for that, so it's not too useful.

I am familiar with what a recovery is. I need to flash it primarily to backup my system partition via a nandroid
backup.

Jun 17, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #9,327 of 16,326
In that case, if you have done all of the above and can connect via ADB but not fastboot, I might suggest looking for a linux or Mac machine to do the install until the reason for the device not being available can be sorted out.

Jun 17, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #9,329 of 16,326
Jun 17, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #9,330 of 16,326
  In other news, it looks like the Onkyo engineers are now aware of the distortion issue in 3rd party apps and are working to fix it.

http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9368

Excellent ... many thanks to users who have raised it there. It's good to know that further firmware updates are on their way.

You know ? Such bugs and issues like this should have been taken care of by Beta users, testers, reviewers....but too bad, Onkyo didn't take it that serious

Perhaps ... but the issue was denied by many owners on this thread for a long time, so I'm not certain that a more extensive beta testing programme would have improved matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back