ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 16, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #9,286 of 16,326
  I guess I got the unit from the same batch as you.

My jacks are fine and  af.resampler.quality=4 works in every app I used too

Ah twin unicorns, nice! Honestly, I can't fathom the inconsistency in this. That alone is a black mark in my mind, but as the owner of one of the good ones, I guess I can't complain too much. Listening to Dark Star as I type this, pleased as pie! So Good!

BASS 

I like large mouth bass, personally :wink:. Fantastic sport fish!

-Dirk

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #9,290 of 16,326
I just received my DP-X1 from Moon Audio (it has CD in the serial no so I assume it was for US market).

Using the balanced out (with two different cables) I am getting a lot of distortion in the left channel. Is this the issue with poorly built sockets or some other bug?

Note: I am using the stock player that came with the DAP and have not installed any apps myself. I also put it in airplane mode to avoid any interference.

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #9,291 of 16,326
  I just received my DP-X1 from Moon Audio (it has CD in the serial no so I assume it was for US market).

Using the balanced out (with two different cables) I am getting a lot of distortion in the left channel. Is this the issue with poorly built sockets or some other bug?

Note: I am using the stock player that came with the DAP and have not installed any apps myself. I also put it in airplane mode to avoid any interference.

What kind of sound you are experiencing?
Anyway, socket problem usually causes just silence in one channel. Most probably problem with amplification module.

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #9,292 of 16,326

Don't know if you, or anyone else knows this, but the issue you described is something Onkyo kinda are aware of but it is usually user error (in many of the RMA issues they have received outside of poor jack sockets):
Never, ever plug both single-ended (unbalanced) AND balanced jacks simultaneously, set the player to either balanced BTL, or worse ACG, and press play.
This actually actively damages the internal amplifier circuitry.
Many noise issues via amps is related to damaged amplifiers, from what I understand to be, a shorting of the internal electronics or something similar.

The above is advised in the balanced menu and manual.

Of course, I cannot say if this is something you may have done or not, but contact Moon Audio immediately for help and possible replacement.

There might be other reasons too but I'm basing my info on direct feedback from Onkyo JP and Onkyo UK itself.

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #9,293 of 16,326
  Odin is for Samsung phones. For Onkyo we will use the FastBoot mode (PWR+Prev. track button).

Oh man, you totally beat me to the punch!  I have been super busy at work, so haven't been able to get beyond initial configuration.  Was hoping to get it on the device this weekend, but looks like you've already got it sorted out.  Are you going to post your sources somewhere?  Doesn't make too much sense to me to duplicate development work. I'd be happy to contribute what I have, and happy to help out with anything you may be having trouble with so we can get this out and supported.

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #9,294 of 16,326
Thanks for the info. Sounds like Onkyo should have built in some safeguards but I don't think this is my case. The noise was there when I booted it for the first time and hit play without changing any settings (actually the noise was there even before hitting play).

I am listening to it right now with single ended cable (no noise) but the display on the top right says "BAL" which is confusing.

I contacted Drew of Moon Audio and I will be sending it for a replacement (he will test the replacement unit before shipping it to me).

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #9,295 of 16,326
  Thanks for the info. Sounds like Onkyo should have built in some safeguards but I don't think this is my case. The noise was there when I booted it for the first time and hit play without changing any settings (actually the noise was there even before hitting play).

I am listening to it right now with single ended cable (no noise) but the display on the top right says "BAL" which is confusing.

X1 automaticaly switches from SE to Balanced depending which socket it is active -

I contacted Drew of Moon Audio and I will be sending it for a replacement (he will test the replacement unit before shipping it to me).

X1 looks most defective player I ever heard about. Shame on Onkyo. They must find the way to compensate all buyers for bad experience with their not ready for sale product - half a year passed from release - ridiculous.

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #9,296 of 16,326

OMG YOU ARE THE SECOND PERSON TO HAVE THE ISSUE I HAD!

That was the issue I had on my first Onkyo DP-X1! Onkyo JP said the internal circuitry of that unit shorted to balanced mode internally but not because of malicious use (I reported about this a while back).

There is no solution, only replacement.

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #9,297 of 16,326
Have always had good experiences with Onkyo in the past, which is one reason I decided to buy this product.  However, from what I'm reading here, this appears to be a very "buggy" Beta-style device. Hope I'm wrong.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #9,299 of 16,326
Have always had good experiences with Onkyo in the past, which is one reason I decided to buy this product.  However, from what I'm reading here, this appears to be a very "buggy" Beta-style device. Hope I'm wrong.

This is one of the least buggiest devices I've owned and I have had a lot of DAPs of the years. This with Tidal HIFI is awesome!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back