ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 15, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #9,271 of 16,326
Really disappointed hearing about these jack problems with the  Onkyo DP-X1. Ordered this item from Amazon, but the item is supplied by an outfit called "Buy Japan" (They have a 98% rating with Amazon so I thought the item would be okay. It's supposed to arrive Saturday. Now I'm very worried I'm getting a broken player with no way to return it. Afraid I trusted Amazon on this but should have avoided this product. Wonder if there's ANY way I can return this item and get a refund if it's broken.

How come you didn't choose Onkyo as the seller on Amazon?

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #9,272 of 16,326
  Curious, is anyone here up for re-terminating my IEM cable?  Not sure if this is okay to post here but I am looking to see if I can get my current cable reterminated to a 2.5mm balanced plug.  Please PM if anyone can do that for me.

Hit us up by email. We may be able to help.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 15, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #9,273 of 16,326
Really disappointed hearing about these jack problems with the  Onkyo DP-X1. Ordered this item from Amazon, but the item is supplied by an outfit called "Buy Japan" (They have a 98% rating with Amazon so I thought the item would be okay. It's supposed to arrive Saturday. Now I'm very worried I'm getting a broken player with no way to return it. Afraid I trusted Amazon on this but should have avoided this product. Wonder if there's ANY way I can return this item and get a refund if it's broken.

You can return through buy Japan, just may need to deal with shipping costs. Mine came from Japan a couple weeks ago and has the fixed jacks so fingers crossed, you should be fine.

-Dirk

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #9,275 of 16,326
  hi guys...anyone have a comparison between zx2 and this?

Whitigir has done so. It really depends on several things. Firstly, many seem to feel the ZX2 has a warmer, musical tonality to it, less detailed, but rich and engaging. The DP-X1 is very nice sounding, but more detailed. The hardware specifications on the DP-X1 are currently more future-proof as the ZX2 will never go above Android 4 (that may not matter depending on how you use the devices). Why I opted for the DP-X1 over the ZX2 was power, frankly. The ZX2 may be wonderful sounding, that I have no doubt, but nobody on the planet can argue that it is underpowered. It will be wonderful for many IEMs, really efficient headphones, and or for people who don't like louder playback volumes.

Consider this, what if you like older, quieter and more dynamic recordings, plus you like moderate to loud playback volume. Do you think the ZX2 will get you there? Not that likely, but the DP-X1 offers you that extra power. Again, most importantly is your preference in signature. All the power in the world doesn't matter if you don't like the signature. Try before you buy if you can, or make sure of return policies and try both and compare.

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #9,278 of 16,326

Do not be so disheartened bettyn.

Onkyo may have had an issue but they listened and rectified it (at manufacturing level), and that is a good sign of positive trust and confidence in them.

Also, let's not all veto or get upset if we get Japanese Onkyo DP-X1 units.
Yes older batches still exist, but there is a chance you might get the newer, improved, Japanese DP-X1.
Remember, though the US was the first international territory to get the new batches, Japan was THE first to receive the improved units.

You also have Amazon protections too, soI would not be so worried.

If you are still concerned, contact Buy Japan and/or Amazon. If they allow it, you could cancel, and do a pre-order with an official Onkyo Distributor, or if purchasing from Amazon again check if the seller is Onkyo itself.

Good luck dude, and as I said, you might be getting the improved second batch Japanese Onkyo DP-X1 ^^

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #9,279 of 16,326
You can return through buy Japan, just may need to deal with shipping costs. Mine came from Japan a couple weeks ago and has the fixed jacks so fingers crossed, you should be fine.

-Dirk

Sounds like you got the improved Japanese Onkyo DP-X1 Dirksqjaw; AWESOME!

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #9,281 of 16,326

You mean You have second batch unit? How can You tell?

Well, simply put - there is not movement in the jacks, where as those with the original device have reported significant flex in the jacks, especially the 2.5 balanced jack. When I ordered, I was expecting to have to do the JB-Weld mod to firm up the jack housing but when it arrived, I played around with it and now don't see the need. This was before I had confirmation there was a fix put in place, so figured I got lucky and my unit was an exception.

Which, thinking about it, considering I can use af.resampler.quality=4 without adverse affect on 3rd party players, maybe I do have a unicorn device!

As with most things in life, it seems, ymmv! 

-Dirk

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #9,282 of 16,326
  Well, simply put - there is not movement in the jacks, where as those with the original device have reported significant flex in the jacks, especially the 2.5 balanced jack. When I ordered, I was expecting to have to do the JB-Weld mod to firm up the jack housing but when it arrived, I played around with it and now don't see the need. This was before I had confirmation there was a fix put in place, so figured I got lucky and my unit was an exception.

Which, thinking about it, considering I can use af.resampler.quality=4 without adverse affect on 3rd party players, maybe I do have a unicorn device!

As with most things in life, it seems, ymmv! 

-Dirk

I guess I got the unit from the same batch as you.

My jacks are fine and  af.resampler.quality=4 works in every app I used too

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #9,283 of 16,326
Thanks. I'm feeling better knowing this. Just have to hope for the best.

Hope you are not let down.

Sad reflection on a product that someone gets into this frame of mind.

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #9,284 of 16,326
Note to self: never use the DP-X1 over Bluetooth. Paired with my new BeoPlay A1 it sound anemic, the volume is nowhere near loud enough at 160 and A1 maxxed out! Thought there's something wrong with the A1. Paired with Nexus 6P, the speaker fills the house with clear base and lush mids, as it is supposed to.

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #9,285 of 16,326
  Note to self: never use the DP-X1 over Bluetooth. Paired with my new BeoPlay A1 it sound anemic, the volume is nowhere near loud enough at 160 and A1 maxxed out! Thought there's something wrong with the A1. Paired with Nexus 6P, the speaker fills the house with clear base and lush mids, as it is supposed to.

BASS 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back