ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 16, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #6,376 of 16,326
Don't waste your money on Onkyo E900m IEMs. They are simply terrible. Not worth $200.00 yet the galling $460.00 they cost me.

I own both the Onkyo DP-X1 and the Questyle QP1R, and have had them for some time now. No contest between the two using the non-balanced outputs from both. The Questyle blows the Onkyo away in every area. The balanced output on the DPX1 is something special, and with top of the line IEMs, does provide a wider soundstage and a bit better imaging then the Questyle. If you are going all in for the balanced out with the DPX1 then buy it. If you are not, buy the Questyle, The QP1R truly produces audiophile quality sound. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #6,377 of 16,326
  Don't waste your money on Onkyo E900m IEMs. They are simply terrible. Not worth $200.00 yet the galling $460.00 they cost me.

I own both the Onkyo DP-X1 and the Questyle QP1R, and have had them for some time now. No contest between the two using the non-balanced outputs from both. The Questyle blows the Onkyo away in every area. The balanced output on the DPX1 is something special, and with top of the line IEMs, does provide a wider soundstage and a bit better imaging then the Questyle. If you are going all in for the balanced out with the DPX1 then buy it. If you are not, buy the Questyle, The QP1R truly produces audiophile quality sound. 

But it doesn't permit streaming and isn't the UI messy? Still, if only sound quality is the issue I take your point, but I get the sense that those who are buying the DP-X1 (such as when I did) are doing it for the streaming capability as a big bonus.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #6,379 of 16,326

QP1R is $899 while DP-X1 is $599 (Japan price). 300$ different should make QP1R sound better.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #6,381 of 16,326
Agreed. QP1R costs $899 only SE output whereas Onkyo DP-X1 has SE and balanced outputs. I save $230 (in my case) for something like buying or upgrading the IEM's balanced cable I just did. SQ is outstanding and I won't regret.

No you won't likely regret it, and with streaming and Android capability the DP-X1 is a flexible source. And as asked earlier, I think I have read that the UI on the Questyle is less than stellar so that should also be considered assuming it is true.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #6,382 of 16,326
  But it doesn't permit streaming and isn't the UI messy? Still, if only sound quality is the issue I take your point, but I get the sense that those who are buying the DP-X1 (such as when I did) are doing it for the streaming capability as a big bonus.

You are correct that it does not stream, and the UI is pretty basic. When I purchase a DAP, my number one issue is how it sounds. I really don't care about the bells and whistles. For me, it's all about sound quality, and in my opinion, the QP1R is in another league compared to the Onkyo when it comes to straight non-balanced output sound quality. Both will be at CanJam So. Cal. this weekend so folks that are attending can compare for themselves.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #6,385 of 16,326

You are correct that it does not stream, and the UI is pretty basic. When I purchase a DAP, my number one issue is how it sounds. I really don't care about the bells and whistles. For me, it's all about sound quality, and in my opinion, the QP1R is in another league compared to the Onkyo when it comes to straight non-balanced output sound quality. Both will be at CanJam So. Cal. this weekend so folks that are attending can compare for themselves.

I get that, but I'm quite sure others may have a different perspective and "Bells and Whistles" are actually features for them. Plus I doubt the sound is night and day different/better. I'm sure both devices sound amazing.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #6,386 of 16,326
Hi guys need some clarification, If i were to use a 2.5mm trrs to 3.5 trs to convert the balance to unbalanced to utilise the 2 DAC any CONS to it?

It's been mentioned a few times. Don't do that, you'll likely short the circuit and wreck the DAP.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #6,387 of 16,326
It's been mentioned a few times. Don't do that, you'll likely short the circuit and wreck the DAP.

LO​L, that seems like a bad thing.

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #6,388 of 16,326
  Good to know, but I have read impressions from people saying right from a smartphone it is entirely possible to drive the HE 1000. I'm sure it wasn't optimally driven, but nonetheless, it is advertised as even smartphone friendly unless I'm missing something. Maybe I'm mistaking this with the Edition X? Looking at a sensitivity of 90db the 1000 is not very sensitive and I wouldn't consider it smartphone territory just based on that. I wonder what I read that led me to think otherwise? Now I've confused myself.

While not a massive difference, the extra 4db of sensitivity the 400i has is likely audible enough, but the 1000 could be driven on the DP-X1 balanced, but it wouldn't be very loud or have much headroom I suspect. Still, possible.

Yes, it was the Edition X that was advertised as smartphone friendly, my bad. It is supposed to have a decent sensitivity of 103db so that makes sense.

Yeah, the Edition X is ridiculously easy to drive - I've had good results with smartphones and the FiiO X7 with the IEM amp. I'd imagine the DP-X1 would be more than able to handle that headphone. (Which seems to be confirmed with other posts here.)

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #6,389 of 16,326

Yeah, the Edition X is ridiculously easy to drive - I've had good results with smartphones and the FiiO X7 with the IEM amp. I'd imagine the DP-X1 would be more than able to handle that headphone. (Which seems to be confirmed with other posts here.)

For the top score, I would give to the AK T1p driven on balanced by DP-X1 , it has great sound stage and airy feel. Vocal is the sweetest I have heard on DP-X1.

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #6,390 of 16,326
  I get that, but I'm quite sure others may have a different perspective and "Bells and Whistles" are actually features for them. Plus I doubt the sound is night and day different/better. I'm sure both devices sound amazing.

You are correct they are both very good DACs. All I am saying is that  when comparing SE to SE the QP1R is in my view a much superior sounding unit.  The Onkyo has the Questyle beat hands down on "features", but again for me, all I really care about is the quality of the sound using the best equipment and finest sound sources. All my files are top quality FLAC and DSDs, and it truly does make a difference. A complete all around best sounding system has at it's core the best sounding DAP,  top notch IEMs/Headphones, the correct ear tips, a very good quality cable, and pristine sound files to get the very most out of the listening experience. This is an exciting time for those of us who have been listening to music their whole lives...I started in the 1950's listening to a handheld AM transistor radio for my listening pleasure...boy have things changed for the better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back