ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 27, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #5,896 of 16,326
I'm planning to get a proper portable audio setup sorted out this year. Budget (probably) going to be limited to around £1'000 - £1'500 or so.
I was thinking something along the lines of Mojo, Onkyo DP-X1 and an IEM like the Savant or Rosie.

My reasoning being that (with the exception of the too-new Rosie?), they've all been reported as having good synergies together, and even when used with the Mojo, the DP-X1 seems an excellent and flexible transport, with the added bonus of also being able to explore balanced IEM's later and use it as an excellent standalone DAP from time to time when weight/bulk is an issue.

The best choice of IEM's seems to be the issue here, since I'm fairly sure after reading the entire threads of both the DP-X1 and Mojo that they are definitely what I'm after.
I love the reported flexibility of the DP-X1 in terms of all the ways the sound can be tinkered with and customised.
Part of my issue is that I'm still trying to figure out exactly what sound signature I like most. I like bass, sometimes even a lot, but not so much that is bloats and drowns the mids or makes the sound too unbalanced.
I love hearing detail and separation in the songs I listen to, especially where it reveals new details to me that I hadn't previously noticed.
I'm not sure about listening fatigue, warmth vs neutrality and so on. I think the benefit of this set up is that the Mojo sound signature sounds like something I'd love, but the DP-X1 gives me a chance to try something rather different and with the added bonus of playing with the settings to further customise the sound and try new things!

Obviously I'll endeavour to 'try before I buy'; possibly even at the next UK CanJam (assuming another one takes place this summer!) :beerchug:

I like your plan!
I'm a bit sceptical about the Mojo but that's just me.
When you are ready you could contact Gisele at Aid2Hearing in North London. She has the full Noble lineup for audition, try the N4 as well as the Savant.
Gisele also has the Mojo.
The K10 would fit the sound sig that you describe perfectly but that's outside your budget.
Gisele is a qualified audiologist and can check your ears and take impressions should you wish to go the custom route.

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #5,897 of 16,326
I like your plan!
When you are ready you could contact Gisele at Aid2Hearing in North London. She has the full Noble lineup for audition, try the N4 as well as the Savant.
The K10 would fit the sound sig that you describe perfectly but that's outside your budget.
Gisele is a qualified audiologist and can check your ears and take impressions should you wish to go the custom route.

I'm not in the market, but getting the opportunity to try the Noble range as so much has been said about them on Head-Fi, seems like  something not to be missed.
That plus I live in North London too 
Thanks for the heads up.
beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #5,898 of 16,326
I like your plan!

stay tuned to my impressions when my Onkyo arrives (sometimes next week)

will be using it with my K10's and a balanced cable from Linum(just got it from CANJAM Singapore last weekend)

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #5,899 of 16,326
I like your plan!

That's a terrific recommendation, thanks a lot! Especially as I do live in London too, as apparently does 'Masterpfa'!
I hadn't been paying attention to people's locations, but it seems there must be at least a few of us in the sprawling metropolis lol.
Great stuff.. I'll look out for people with exotic looking earphones on the tube next time
beyersmile.png
beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #5,900 of 16,326
  stay tuned to my impressions when my Onkyo arrives (sometimes next week)

will be using it with my K10's and a balanced cable from Linum(just got it from CANJAM Singapore last weekend)

Wonderful.
"Ask and ye shall receive"
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #5,901 of 16,326

That's a terrific recommendation, thanks a lot! Especially as I do live in London too, as apparently does 'Masterpfa'!
I hadn't been paying attention to people's locations, but it seems there must be at least a few of us in the sprawling metropolis lol.
Great stuff.. I'll look out for people with exotic looking earphones on the tube next time
beyersmile.png
beerchug.gif

I'll be the one with ACS CIEM or Finder X1
And a Mojo smile on my face
L3000.gif
beyersmile.png
etysmile.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #5,902 of 16,326
@Layman1, what kind of music do you listen to mostly?

Feb 27, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #5,903 of 16,326
Great stuff.. I'll look out for people with exotic looking earphones on the tube next time :beyersmile: :beerchug:

It surprises me that even though I travel on public transport a lot I rarely see anyone with anything interesting.
Gisele works from her (very nice) home. She is lovely. So all very relaxed and no pressure. Plenty of time to listen to whatever you want to. Worth bearing in mind that she has school age children when you make your appointment.

Feb 27, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #5,904 of 16,326
@Layman1, what kind of music do you listen to mostly?

Hmm. I have very eclectic tastes..
Rock (with most of it's subgenres, soft, hard, etc), Hip-Hop, RnB (both the traditional and modern definitions of it!), Soul, Blues, Motown, Jazz, Classical, Folk, Bluegrass, Punk, Chinese and Korean pop (and bits and pieces from other countries too), Christmas carols (I love them all year round, cosy and relaxing feeling lol), Bollywood OST..
Pretty much the only things I don't like are Dance music and Thrashy/Screamy metal, although even then there are exceptions in both cases.
I suppose if I had to narrow it down, I predominantly listen to playlists based around relaxing music (mainly acoustic guitar, piano and strings plus vocals, along with bits from the more relaxing if tge genres above) and rock, pop and hip-hop.
I would love to start listing all the artists I love (with a view to promoting/introducing them to people), but I suspect that would ultimately be a bit self indulgent or narcisistic, so I shall refrain unless requested otherwise lol
tongue_smile.gif

How about you? :D

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #5,905 of 16,326
It surprises me that even though I travel on public transport a lot I rarely see anyone with anything interesting.
Gisele works from her (very nice) home. She is lovely. So all very relaxed and no pressure. Plenty of time to listen to whatever you want to. Worth bearing in mind that she has school age children when you make your appointment.

I will do, I'll wait until my week of rest before trying to arrange an appointment.
I have always been intrigued by the K10 and the Savants with many glowing reports and especially as they are available in both CIEM and UIEM

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #5,906 of 16,326
Hmmmm. OK.  Thank you for the replies.  I'll go back and check my files and setup and see if the problem persists.  The track(s) I use for testing are from The Beatles' "Abbey Road" (2009 remaster).  In that mastering (not other, earlier, masterings) the engineers inserted a track change in an odd place between "Polythene Pam" and "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" -- the music was ongoing and rather loud.  There should be no hint of silence, mute, pause, click, or interruption.  And I hear it.

I listened to those tracks (2009 remasters). Not hearing a gap.Odd

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #5,907 of 16,326
I'm looking hard at the Onkyo for my Savant's. I LOVE THEM.  Best IEM I've heard and I've heard most of the more expensive ones when in Japan this summer.  The Savant's are just incredible.  I do want to hear the K10's as those I haven't heard yet, but I have a few friend who listen the way I do and they swear by them..

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #5,908 of 16,326
Feb 27, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #5,909 of 16,326
  Sounds like a marvellous way to spend an afternoon :)
Will definitely check out in the future, much appreciated!

Oops, this was meant to be a reply to the Krismusic comment about Aid2Hearing.
Context is always a good thing :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back